Josh Johnson Enters Transfer Portal

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
No matter how we want to try to spin this, it isn't good news for the WR group IMO. Josh was definitely in the mix for quite a bit of playing time this year. Maybe not a starter yet, but this will hurt depth for sure.

People have forgotten about Jalen Martin too. Didn't see his name mentioned in posts above.
Jalen has a lot of potential. Just needs to work his way onto the field. Had a class with him a few years back, pretty cool guy!

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
A 4* getting passed up on the depth chart is bad?

In fairness we don't know for sure that's why he transferred. But yeah, if that's the case and good players are leaving because they're getting passed up by even better players then that's a good problem to have.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
A 4* getting passed up on the depth chart is bad?

Link? You have concrete info he was getting passed up on the depth chart?

Maybe he just wasn't happy here any longer? Maybe he was homesick? It could be any number of things..... that is...... unless you have direct knowledge he was being passed up on the depth chart.

You can also look at it like.... it's never good losing a 4* WR off your roster too.... OR... if he was being passed up..... wouldn't it sure be nice to have a 4* WR in your 2 deeps?

cyyote15

Nov 3, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD

Maybe he just wasn't happy here any longer? Maybe he was homesick? It could be any number of things..... that is...... unless you have direct knowledge he was being passed up on the depth chart.

You can also look at it like.... it's never good losing a 4* WR off your roster too.... OR... if he was being passed up..... wouldn't it sure be nice to have a 4* WR in your 2 deeps?

He definitely wasn't close to a 4*. I thought he was to, but he isn't close when you look back at his profile.

https://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Johnson-83582/high-school-144730/

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
When I watched his HS film and video of him from camps I had him pegged as a future stud. Turns out he was a lot smaller than he was originally listed... probably fit well as a slot receiver but couldn't beat out Tarique and DeShaunte or Akers.

Hopefully this is a testament to our receiver room.

I was thinking he was one of our "tall" recovers. Like around the 6'4" mark but the roster says 5'11". That is a lot more than embellishment.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Those stars man, you gotta carry that target all through college

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I was excited about this kid, bummer to see him go but I'm happy with the WR's we have. We have 3 guys coming back who played over Johnson last year.I know we still have some question marks but with Jones, Milton, Akers, Allen, Soehner and Kolar, the passing game still looks good for next year. It may hurt the year after but only two of the guys I listed above will be gone and CMC has brought in some other guys that should be ready to play by then. I really like the WR in the R-FR class.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013

Stars don't get you tuddies. Our best receiver last year was 2 star.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Moving Milton may of seeled Johnson's fate. Hopefully Scates and Shaw fill the big receiver role well.

Plus we have some speed coming in this summer, the track stud from TOE country is like 6'4" would likely redshirt, but Glass looks too good on film to keep off the field.

By the way Butler and Milton had ratings below .8000 for what it's worth.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Moving Milton may of seeled Johnson's fate. Hopefully Scates and Shaw fill the big receiver role well.

Plus we have some speed coming in this summer, the track stud from TOE country is like 6'4" would likely redshirt, but Glass looks too good to keep off the field on film.

By the way Butler and Milton had ratings below .8000 for what it's worth.
Porter. He's going to be good

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Plus we have some speed coming in this summer, the track stud from TOE country is like 6'4" would likely redshirt, but Glass looks too good on film to keep off the field.
Glass is a running back. The “change of pace” guy with Hall and Brock.

I suspect we’ll be okay outside this season with Milton, Martin, Akers, Scates and Shaw—and I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if Porter plays. And there’s still James and Anderson if needed.

If anything, this just opens up a we spot in the 2020 class. Assuming Josh does indeed transfer. Hardly a bad thing.

Good luck to him.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron