"Johnny's at Hilton Coliseum"

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Morally? You're kidding, right? Legally? Yes. Morally? Not sure about that one. Giving people extra perks because they are rich is legal, but might not be the most ethical thing in the world to do...

What part is unethical exactly?

And you do realize communism was far from ethical, correct? The political system isn't the unethical part, the people within it are.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
First of all, "inethical" isn't a word.

Second, yes, capitalism is inherently unethical. This dog-eat-dog mentality breeds corruption (google robber barons for a wonderful example).

You are making me look like a genius and I'm the one who made the grammatical error.

Hint: when you find yourself in a hole, quit digging.

creightonclone

Mar 3, 2008
What part is unethical exactly?

And you do realize communism was far from ethical, correct? The political system isn't the unethical part, the people within it are.

Go back to 8th grade. Communism and capitalism aren't political systems. They are economic systems...

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Exactly. Us normal folk should be able to get in there on non-gamedays.
Why? Then they have to pay to staff it and hire people to run it. I also find it REALLY hard to believe they'd make much money doing that simply because people aren't just going to end up at Hilton in large numbers to eat.
Go back to 8th grade. Communism and capitalism aren't political systems. They are economic systems...

OMG! I totally messed up! Like, totally crucify me!

The point still stands. I want a new Lincoln Navigator. Should a dealership be cool with me just trading off my Grand Prix for it? God I hope not.

*quick note to any ISU students reading this...DO NOT take econ 370. PITA.

Last edited:

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008

redherring.gif

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
I can't believe everyone here is content about this topic. No one else thinks it's absolutely ridiculous that common men and women can't patronize Johnny's? This isn't a luxury suite donors purchase, this is a sports bar located in a public facility on campus that was built with funds by taxpayers.

It isn't a sports bar. It is just a nicer place than the old CourtCy'd club. How about the thing (can't remember what it is called) over in Scheman's that you have to be at a certain donation level to go to? If you aren't equally as upset about that can you explain why?

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I think it's unethical for them rich folk to have them fancy parking spots up by the stadium, too. What about us po' folk who have to park out in the grass lots? Unethical, I tell you!

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I just watched the video of Johnny taking the tour. It brought me back to how he loved talking and connecting with the common fan, and how he likes people, from all classes.
I wonder if he knows about the $12,500 rule to get in the place...with his name on it.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I can't believe everyone here is content about this topic. No one else thinks it's absolutely ridiculous that common men and women can't patronize Johnny's? This isn't a luxury suite donors purchase, this is a sports bar located in a public facility on campus that was built with funds by taxpayers.

Here is the breakdown concerning taxpayer money...
The $15,000 statue is funded through a donation from Craig and Virginia Petermeier of Mingo. Craig’s a ’78 Cyclone grad.

Also donating was B.J. Baker and the Sukup Family, who provided their airplanes to transport Orr from his home in Florida.

Donations from Lyle and Becky Siefering of Oskaloosa helped fund the “Johnny’sâ€￾ donor area at Hilton.
From the Des Moines Register.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I just watched the video of Johnny taking the tour. It brought me back to how he loved talking and connecting with the common fan, and how he likes people, from all classes.
I wonder if he knows about the $12,500 rule to get in the place...with his name on it.

Probably about the same as he feels about self-righteous message board posters putting words in his mouth.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008

I'm sure he does and I'm sure he supports it.

BlondeCy

Jul 25, 2008
I understand the donations = perks thing and have no problem with it. However, as I stated in anothe thread ". . .it is sad that a place that honors a man who would shake everyone's hand, say hi to you on the street, come to a party on the whim of an invite at a golf outing and treated everyone like you were a long lost friend is not open to everyone. . ." I just wish they would have done something that was much more visable/accessible to everyone to honor Coach Orr.

To me since the men's and women's basketball offices moved out to the new practice facility, they needed to fill this unused space and instead of more bathrooms or consessions or something else, this is what they came up with -- a way to honor Coach Orr without having to name the floor after him and the space is now used. Maybe this is a way to give the higher paying donors a perk without gutting Hilton to create "suites" around the parkay at Hilton -- just a thought.

Ames

Sep 5, 2006
If Johnny didn't like the idea that it's for donors he could not be a part of it. They could just as easily call it Cy's.

creightonclone

Mar 3, 2008
Here is the breakdown concerning taxpayer money...
The $15,000 statue is funded through a donation from Craig and Virginia Petermeier of Mingo. Craig’s a ’78 Cyclone grad.

Also donating was B.J. Baker and the Sukup Family, who provided their airplanes to transport Orr from his home in Florida.

Donations from Lyle and Becky Siefering of Oskaloosa helped fund the “Johnny’sâ€￾ donor area at Hilton.
From the Des Moines Register.

I read that article this morning, too. I know it's private money. I stated Hilton was built with state funds.