Joel Klatts hate for the CFP Committee

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
There argument is not that a loss to Iowa State is worse than Syracuse. They factor in that Clemson's QB was injured during the game despite the fact they were losing when he went down.
I've always hated how they factor in injuries. It's a part of the game.

OU was without at least 4 starters in that game. Now, if you're trying to make a case for ISU, they were without their starting QB and one of the best players on the defense.

I do get factoring in an injury in some cases and Clemson is probably a good example, but the games have to matter. I think it's Klatt always saying that it it should be the motto of any refinement in this system. If you're Iowa State, for instance, and you see the way OUs win over OSU is treated, why would you ever schedule anything but cupcakes early on? It's like that game doesn't even matter now.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
From the standpoint of getting the best teams into the playoff, the CFP system is just simply flawed in that the 4-team format is not a good fit for the current college football landscape. It is inevitable that what Klatt describes in that video will happen. There need to be at least 8 teams taken.

First, you have five power conferences that should all be represented in the playoff. Secondly, you have 2 of those power conferences with 14 teams, where it is possible compile a great "looking" record because you can miss playing the good teams in the conference. The third problem is that independent teams who don't have to play a conference schedule but have a large national following are in the picture as well. It is a system that is inherently setup to be manipulated by the biases of the committee and by the TV partners who want the biggest audiences.

Apparently, the controversy generates interest, and that makes money. As long as people keep watching the playoff games, nothing will change.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
blow it up. 6 spots. each conference gets one - each conference decides how the winner is chosen (standings vs championship game, etc). committee picks last wildcard and ranks the teams. i'd rather complain about a 1-6 ranking than which teams even deserve a shot.
I like the idea of the P5 conferences picking their representative. Having only 6 teams would set it up so that #1 and #2 would get a bye. That would give more power back to the committee picking who gets to rest. I'd be more for 8 teams with 3 wild card spots picked by the committee.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
There argument is not that a loss to Iowa State is worse than Syracuse. They factor in that Clemson's QB was injured during the game despite the fact they were losing when he went down.
I've always hated how they factor in injuries. It's a part of the game.

Another layer to the "injury/absence" factor comes into the mix w/ Clemson vs. OU quality-of-loss argument, although it leads to chasing-your-tail: Let's assume Clemson's QB stituation was a significant factor in the loss to Syracuse. OK, but in the week of ISU-OU game, Iowa State's starting QB took leave of absence, and the backup was a walk-on. And ... Iowa State won in Norman. But Clemson's adversity was somehow more unmanageable.

The tail-chasing I referenced is this: Committee members could claim OU's loss to ISU may look even worse, since it couldn't find a way to beat an opponent with a walk-on quarterback. ... But if you argue that, it's just changing rules of evaluation to fit your stance.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Expanding from 2 to 4 was good (8 would be good too, beyond that is a debate). Everything else about the CFP is a step backwards. It should have been a massive improvement going from 2 to 4 but they managed to make it just a slight improvement.

12. Top 4 get byes. If you go undefeated, you are automatically in that top 4.

I don't get the desire to keep this thing as short as possible. 12 gives teams, at most, 17 games with 16 more likely. Don't give all of December to the NFL. Let people enjoy a playoff with really good football games all the way through. You play those first two rounds in the middle two weeks of December on campuses and then you resume your normal bowl schedule.

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
Joel Klatt is probably the most objective national analyst out there..might be since he is a former Big 12 player and knows the crap the Big 12 (and the Pac 12) gets year after year when it comes to anything pinning conferences against eachother. To say Oklahoma is behind Clemson due to its loss to ISU is absolutely asinine. Even though none of the other national analysts will admit it, Clemson's loss to Syracuse was much, much worse.

Edit: Michigan being ranked ahead of West Virginia is also asinine. It is showing so easily that they are trying their hardest to make sure the Big Ten isn't left out by giving Wisconsin a "ranked opponent" to further justify getting them into the playoffs if they run the table.

Does anybody else notice that when there is an upset in the Big 12 (ISU over OU for example), the general conversation is how bad of a loss it is for the favorite and how it shows their weaknesses. However, when an upset happens in the Big 10 or other conferences (Iowa over OSU or MSU over PSU), the general conversation is how it shows how strong the conference is and how good the underdogs are? Or is that just me?

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012

I don't get the desire to keep this thing as short as possible. 12 gives teams, at most, 17 games with 16 more likely. Don't give all of December to the NFL. Let people enjoy a playoff with really good football games all the way through. You play those first two rounds in the middle two weeks of December on campuses and then you resume your normal bowl schedule.

I also hate the argument people would make of... "Well then those kids have more games and miss more school" blah blah blah. Those kids get the whole month of December off basically anyway.

They basically do football activities all year round as it is, too.

If the FCS can figure out, the FBS sure as hell should be able to.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
blow it up. 6 spots. each conference gets one - each conference decides how the winner is chosen (standings vs championship game, etc). committee picks last wildcard and ranks the teams. i'd rather complain about a 1-6 ranking than which teams even deserve a shot.

As long as that wildcard can't be from the P5, I'd be totes down with that.

• Agree
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Just thinking about this makes me irate. Sofa king stupid.

Imagine if we had pulled off the wins against Texas, OK St and WVU (all close games)...but we had a loss to OU and Iowa (teams we beat and played to OT, exact same teams Ohio State lost to) in blowout fashion. We'd be out. 0% chance. Ohio State...they have at least a 50% shot of sneaking back in.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Does anybody else notice that when there is an upset in the Big 12 (ISU over OU for example), the general conversation is how bad of a loss it is for the favorite and how it shows their weaknesses. However, when an upset happens in the Big 10 or other conferences (Iowa over OSU or MSU over PSU), the general conversation is how it shows how strong the conference is and how good the underdogs are? Or is that just me?
Just like the media narrative that when a Big 12 matchup lights up the scoreboard, it's wrote up as "two bad defenses" but if it happens in a Big Ten matchup, it's wrote up as "two great offenses".

• Agree
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Last year for Ohio State it was all about quality wins, now the committee wants to switch to the quality losses narrative to benefit Eastern schools. It all comes down to OU winning out. If they take care of business they're in.

Clemson fans talking about their QB being hurt in the Syracuse game is funny. OU had four starters out vs ISU (yes I know our own injury report for that game). Clemson was already behind when their QB went down as well.

Exactly, and even earlier this year they were going "it's who you beat, not who you lose to" to justify Ohio State being so high after their loss to the Sooners. Than all of a sudden a one loss Sooner team sucked because they have a loss! They pick and choose a narrative to fit the teams they want. The Hawkeyes shitstomping the Buckeyes kinda threw a wrench into their plans that they had not accounted for so the narrative is getting even more ridiculous.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
I couldn't agree more with what Joel Klatt has been saying about the committee the past couple of weeks.

The complete lack of awareness this committee has shown. Do they even watch the games? He makes a great point when he says that we can't trust them because they're so inconsistent.

He also talked about it on The Herd yesterday as well.

ZB4CY posting this video to this forum has helped Undisputed double their viewership.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
ZB4CY posting this video to this forum has helped Undisputed double their viewership.

I should have put a disclaimer.

I don't watch that trash show. I was trying to find the video from The Herd yesterday too but couldn't locate it as easily as this one.

Pretty sure Barney on PBS gets higher viewership, too.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Exactly, and even earlier this year they were going "it's who you beat, not who you lose to" to justify Ohio State being so high after their loss to the Sooners. Than all of a sudden a one loss Sooner team sucked because they have a loss! They pick and choose a narrative to fit the teams they want. The Hawkeyes shitstomping the Buckeyes kinda threw a wrench into their plans that they had not accounted for so the narrative is getting even more ridiculous.
The beat down that Iowa gave OSU, then allowed the Hawks to be magically ranked. How convenient that Wisconsin now has a win over a top 25 team. I have noticed the narrative change from OSU to Wisconsin this week in sports media. And they are still giving OSU a chance if they win out. It seems like Okie State isn't even given a chance and OU is barely in. I would take OU and Okie State over Wisconsin and tOSU any day. In fact OU already won this argument in September.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
On The Herd, Joel talked about having an "expanded" playoff by taking divisions out of the conferences and essentially playing 1vs2 as the CCG with the winner going to the playoff.

In this situation though, he also mentioned leaving out 'the worst P5 conf champion' which I'm not sure would go over too well with that conference.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Will you allow the teams knocked out in those early two rounds to participate in later bowls? If not, from the business standpoint, a problem you could have is the potential to put your money makers on the shelf before Christmas. If I understand your scenario correctly, those early two rounds would knock out 8 of your 12 teams. The bowls that would have those 8 teams, some of whom are probably well known, will have to take lesser teams that don't draw as well, and the effect ripples down so that the bottom end bowls are probably taking teams with losing records. I don't expect those bowl committees to react well to making less money.

Last edited:

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I missed most of the Vegas bookmaker segment on the Herd, but didn't he have Wisconsin 'ranked' 10th? What is this guy's website?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
So while the Big XII continues its conference play a good chunk of the "superior" college football world is taking the week off... How far are they going to drop?

#1 plays mighty Mercer
#5 going to take a beating against La-Monroe
SEC vs Wofford and UAB

#2 is playing The Citadel

And the Big X gets to play well the Little X

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron