Joel Klatts hate for the CFP Committee

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
An overwhelming percentage of those lower division players have no chance at playing in the NFL. A larger than average percentage of top players on FBS playoff teams would have a lot to lose if they get hurt in one of their up to 4 playoff games.

I agree they could dump some regular season games, but the networks who have shelled out big money for regular season games would be pretty upset to lose a couple non-con games for every team in the conference.

If the NCAA monster forced players to play 14, 15, or 16 FBS games they would get torn up for exploiting players who get paid nothing. The NCAA would make tons of money off those expanded playoffs and it would be more evidence that the NCAA gets rich off of amateur college players.

Part of me would be perfectly fine with a 12 or even 16 team playoff, but that would basically be the end of the Bowl era as we know it. No way would they make enough money off games between a bunch of teams with losing records and having none of the top 12 elite teams available to come to their bowls.

It would be sad if ISU never has a chance for post season play unless they get into the playoffs.

You have both people losing money and making money as a result of your playoff scenario. I think dropping one single non-conference game and going back to 11 game regular season would be fine. Is anyone going to miss playing Akron or Western IL? Yeah, we can pad our W column to be bowl eligible but most CFB fans would rather see a real 8 game play off with conference champions from the P5, maybe an independent and a top ranked smaller school for the Cinderella potential. Throw in one or a couple of wildcards and you have 8 teams. Bowls are a tradition that needs to fade away unless they're incorporated into the play-off or the Conference championship games.

Does anyone care who wins in the Beef-o-Camperworld dot com bowl?

Bowls are the NIT of college football; they used to matter a lot. Their time has passed. Now they shouldn't at all.

Reactions: beentherebefore

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
What do you mean with the bowl stuff? Like I said, you keep that system in place. The four teams that get beat in the first round and the 4 teams that get beat in the second round all go back into the bowl game pool and go play their bowl just like they had before. The final four teams would play it out just like they do today. The bowl system doesn't have to end.

Also, I don't really care about the lower level bowls. A whole bunch of teams lose money playing them right now and if we got rid of about 5 of them that would be fine. The people making the money are the people organizing them and I don't see a real good reason for programs to line their pockets. What I would really like to see is more of these bowls get sponsored and instead of destinations, play home games. So, say Iowa State and Arizona St were similar. You have someone sponsor and put on that bowl game but you do it at ASUs place but you make sure those visiting teams are getting solid ticket allotments and it's not a home crowd. Then you split the gate like 60/40 or something. It's not a huge deal for P5 teams because they typically aren't the ones losing money on these deals but teams like Tulsa or UCONN may. That shouldn't happen.

Interesting idea. Who knows if something like that will ever happen though.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You have both people losing money and making money as a result of your playoff scenario. I think dropping one single non-conference game and going back to 11 game regular season would be fine. Is anyone going to miss playing Akron or Western IL? Yeah, we can pad our W column to be bowl eligible but most CFB fans would rather see a real 8 game play off with conference champions from the P5, maybe an independent and a top ranked smaller school for the Cinderella potential. Throw in one or a couple of wildcards and you have 8 teams. Bowls are a tradition that needs to fade away unless they're incorporated into the play-off or the Conference championship games.

Does anyone care who wins in the Beef-o-Camperworld dot com bowl?

Bowls are the NIT of college football; they used to matter a lot. Their time has passed. Now they shouldn't at all.
You had me until the bowl games should go away. Eight teams is the right number. However why arbitrarily take away the reward (meaningless or not) for teams with a winning season but not selected for an extremely small and exclusive playoff? It can simply go on as is without really affecting the playoff. If there is concern, 6 of the top bowls could host the first two rounds of playoff with the nation title game as an additional game similar to how it is now.

Reactions: skibumspe

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
You had me until the bowl games should go away. Eight teams is the right number. However why arbitrarily take away the reward (meaningless or not) for teams with a winning season but not selected for an extremely small and exclusive playoff? It can simply go on as is without really affecting the playoff. If there is concern, 6 of the top bowls could host the first two rounds of playoff with the nation title game as an additional game similar to how it is now.

The bowl thing is more just my opinion that as the playoffs were conceived with 2 teams, now 4 teams then probably 8 teams, the bowls seem less and less significant. They were a critical part of determining the mythical national championship back in the day. Now they are less so and are not very noticeable in their roles in the play off. The minor ones have no bearing on determining the national championship, thus are of little value to that process.

If you noticed I did mention they could be incorporated into the conference championships. Call the SEC championship the Peach Bowl, Call the Big XII championship the Cotton Bowl, etc.

But honestly, if the rest of the also-rans want to play another game I am not against it. I just really have very little interest except where ISU is involved. And more just as another game, no so much as a special game.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Just for everyone's reflection:

League, number of teams, number of playoff teams, percentage participating

MLS, 22, 12, .543
NHL, 31, 16, .516
NFL, 32, 12, .375
MLB, 30, 10, .333
MBB D1, 347, 68, .196
FCS, 124, 24, .194
W Soc D1, 333, 64, .192
W VB D1, 334, 64, .192
WBB D1, 349, 64, .183
FBS, 130, 4, .031

Note that an expansion to 8 teams would still be significantly less than 10 percent of the teams at only .062 and only about a third of the percentage of WBB.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Just for everyone's reflection:

League, number of teams, number of playoff teams, percentage participating

MLS, 22, 12, .543
NHL, 31, 16, .516
NFL, 32, 12, .375
MLB, 30, 10, .333
MBB D1, 347, 68, .196
FCS, 124, 24, .194
W Soc D1, 333, 64, .192
W VB D1, 334, 64, .192
WBB D1, 349, 64, .183
FBS, 130, 4, .031

In addition, about 30% of FBS teams are in effect "eliminated" from participation before the season starts. It'd be even higher percentage if you make assumption that AAC's top team, along with independents Army, BYU and UMass probably have only a remote chance.

No other league on your list operates that way, to my knowledge (not well-versed on soccer and volleyball).

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Penn State beat Nebraska, 56-44. Obviously, this singular example proves Big Ten defenses are all terrible, and it should be a major detriment for conference's teams in the playoff rankings.

I'm attempting to pad my resume for a spot on the selection committee.

Reactions: MeanDean

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Penn State beat Nebraska, 56-44. Obviously, this singular example proves Big Ten defenses are all terrible, and it should be a major detriment for conference's teams in the playoff rankings.

I'm attempting to pad my resume for a spot on the selection committee.

Well if you’re bad mouthing the b1g, you’re doing it wrong.

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
For those of you touting tOSU getting hot and curb stomping Whisky in 2014 as validation for jumping TCU please remember - Gary Andersen was in a battle with Jabba The Hut Alvarez and did not give a rats a** about the Big Tin title game. He had already decided to go to Oregon Sate and was out to humiliate Barry and the B1G. The CFP made up all kinds of BS about data points and crap as they suck at the teat of ESPN and the B1G runs them. All the pundits at ESPN love Urban and talk trash about the B12. Fox needs to get in the game and shove these hicks to the side. B12 football is exciting. Cheering your team on against a powderpuff ( Mercer, Citadel, Wofford, UAB) is criminal. Just a media hype train to pad the CFP reasoning for picking these wannabes. Check bowl eligibility of the SEC ( 9 of 14 ) B1G - 7 of 14 , ACC 6? B12 - possibly 8 of 10 and minimum 7 of 10. Who is the better conference? We are! They even laid out the scenario for tOSU to get in this year - forgetting that the suckeyes put a beat down on them - w/o a QB injury! WTF! No way should anyone list that crapfest as a championship contest - it is a beauty pageant for money!!!!

• Friendly
Reactions: skibumspe

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
There is a definite advantage to the SEC scheduling a week of cupcake games in November. It's automatic to discount early season losses versus late in the season losses.

All the other P5 conferences are basically only playing other P5 teams in November so the risk of a late season loss is higher than Auburn (who had early season losses) playing Louisiana Monroe.

And the pundits SHOULD be calling them on it. But they won't - 'cuz SEC!!!.

Last edited: