Joe Heskett

SPOONER

Apr 16, 2009
Well, let's try this again and see if I can go 0-2!

A good source told me today that Pollard interviewed Heskett in Ohio on Friday and he's getting the job.

I hope I didn't just jinx it for Joe!

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
But do you have flight-tracker to back it up?

If so, I like it.

ISU boy, cutting his teeth at a national runner up program, and a program that is in those fertile recruiting grounds - so one would think he has contacts.

Don't know much about the sport or it's people, but I like it better than Randall. But my viewpoint is from a 767 looking down at an ant-hill.

SPOONER

Apr 16, 2009
just throwing names out there now...nice.

I have no problem with posts like these. If I were you I would probably say the same thing.

DaddyMac, I'd rather have a Greg Randall but I don't have any problem with Joe. It should be fun if he gets the job!

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Anyone give a quick profile for Heskett? Would this be a good thing?

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I have no problem with posts like these. If I were you I would probably say the same thing.

DaddyMac, I'd rather have a Greg Randall but I don't have any problem with Joe. It should be fun if he gets the job!

I thought you'd rather have "that Zeke fella"? :wink:

After some quick Google-ing, I see why. Any pulse on that?

I didn't have any "problem" with Randall. Something is more appealing to me about Joe, however. Probably anti-hawk seeping through - which would be wrong of me.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
This choice would disappoint more than a few Cyclone wrestling supporters, who are expecting Jamie to pick someone more proven and accomplished. Heskett has really been a assistant coach for just one year, after being a volunteer coach pior. He has a heart condition, so I wonder how much he can wrestle with his athletes in the practice room. Very articulate and personable, but his very limited resume would make his selection to be a huge reach, almost a desperate one, for Pollard. I'm hoping for much more than this.

SPOONER

Apr 16, 2009
I thought you'd rather have "that Zeke fella"? :wink:

After some quick Google-ing, I see why. Any pulse on that?

I didn't have any "problem" with Randall. Something is more appealing to me about Joe, however. Probably anti-hawk seeping through - which would be wrong of me.

Yes, I'd rather have Zeke Fella over all these guys. ;-)

ISUATC

Feb 1, 2007
This has been my thought for the pick, since he has been about the only one that has had a " no comment " about the job. All of the other candidates have given comments about the job in the press, and you know how JP likes to keep things and his coaches quiet when interviewing.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
This has been my thought for the pick, since he has been about the only one that has had a " no comment " about the job. All of the other candidates have given comments about the job in the press, and you know how JP likes to keep things and his coaches quiet when interviewing.

Exactly. That spoke volumes.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
I figured Heskett from the start...he is the perfect fit in my mind. I think Spooner has it right this time. He has charisma, knows his stuff, would be a great recruiter, is an ISU guy (not that that's real important, but it doesn't hurt) and he's a winner. If not for Cael's amazing streak, Heskett have been THE GUY we wanted from the start. His stats are amazing!!

Take Cael out of the mix, and Heskett would have already been the Iowa State HC.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ViewArticle.dbml?PRINTABLE_PAGE=YES&ATCLID=1057264&DB_OEM_ID=17300

Last edited:

Istate

Jul 15, 2008
I figured Heskett from the start...he is the perfect fit in my mind. I think Spooner has it right this time. He has charisma, knows his stuff, would be a great recruiter, is an ISU guy (not that that's real important, but it doesn't hurt) and he's a winner. If not for Cael's amazing streak, Heskett have been THE GUY we wanted from the start. His stats are amazing!!

Take Cael out of the mix, and Heskett would have already been the Iowa State HC.

Joe Heskett Biography - The Ohio State Buckeyes Official Athletics Site - OhioStateBuckeyes.com
I like your optimism, but I hope like heck you're off-base here. No way do you hand the reigns of a top-5 college program in any sport to a coach who has barely even been an assistant unless he's Dan Gable or Cael Sanderson. I'd love to have Joe back in Ames as a #1 assistant, but he's not ready to be a head coach at a program like ISU.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
I like your optimism, but I hope like heck you're off-base here. No way do you hand the reigns of a top-5 college program in any sport to a coach who has barely even been an assistant unless he's Dan Gable or Cael Sanderson. I'd love to have Joe back in Ames as a #1 assistant, but he's not ready to be a head coach at a program like ISU.

His career record is 143-9, third in wins to Gable and Sanderson. His numbers match up to just about any top wrestler in the country. He's one up on Cael as he's already been an asst. coach. Gable went to Iowa as an asst. and prospered, I see Heskett doing the same at ISU.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
This choice would disappoint more than a few Cyclone wrestling supporters, who are expecting Jamie to pick someone more proven and accomplished. Heskett has really been a assistant coach for just one year, after being a volunteer coach pior. He has a heart condition, so I wonder how much he can wrestle with his athletes in the practice room. Very articulate and personable, but his very limited resume would make his selection to be a huge reach, almost a desperate one, for Pollard. I'm hoping for much more than this.

It won't dissapoint this supporter. Yes he is articulate and personable and I think would make a great recruiter. He's pretty much done everything Cael has done except win a gold medal and lose 9 matches. Not sure why you think this choice is a reach and Cael wasn't?

There was some talk early on maybe bringing Bobby Douglas back as an assistant much like Iowa did with Gable. I think a Heskett/Douglas combination would be very good.

Help Support Us

Become a patron