Jim Criner special helmet

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
I remember going to see ISU play Colorado in 1998 in Boulder. Troy Davis ran wild that day. Everytime ISU scored, the Buffs stadium scoreboard operator idiots kept showing the old tornado logo. They also had us listed as "Iowa Cyclones." Morons.

well Troy only played 1994-96 so maybe you were thinking Darren Davis?

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
View attachment 78315
All I'm saying is that if some day we were to do a Yellow/Gold set, I would much prefer the 1968-82 version of gold, maybe a little lighter. Keep the present yellow/gold but use it mostly for trim (or numbers if want a gold number).

At the rate Campbell is using black, I don't think it's really feasible to have a gold set, maybe later. There would be too many combo options with a gold set and there are only 6 Home games! It wouldn't be cost effective.

The team cannot use that old gold color. University marketing has really clamped down on the colors used on all ISU materials after being very lax and after Gene Chizik. Here is the official link to the type of red and gold that can be used https://www.brandmarketing.iastate.edu/brand-elements/color-palette/.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I was going to suggest it get launched into the sun, but your idea works too. With the exception of one win over Nebraska, and Oklahoma, plus the arrival of Troy Davis, most of the rest was a mess. We had a couple good players, but the wins were few, and losses weren't very competitive.
Just looking at our scores against Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Iowa from that era, we were 2-34 with an average score being 37-13. Throw Colorado in and we can add 1 win and averaged 11 points a game. So out of 48 games against 4 opponents, we won 3 and couldn't average 2 TD's a game against any of the 4 opponents.

I'd throw up a bit if Campbell and team were to come out onto the field wearing those era unis.

TD did not arrive during the use of this helmet in Crimea area. These helmets were 83-86(red ones just part of 83 season).

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
  • Agree
Reactions: werdnamanhill

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
guaranteed that the football team can use whatever shade they want.

My dad bought a new 1976 Chevy pickup when I was a kid, color was Moss Gold...it was brown.
Maybe the black helmets are just a dark shade of gold?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
View attachment 78315
All I'm saying is that if some day we were to do a Yellow/Gold set, I would much prefer the 1968-82 version of gold, maybe a little lighter. Keep the present yellow/gold but use it mostly for trim (or numbers if want a gold number).

At the rate Campbell is using black, I don't think it's really feasible to have a gold set, maybe later. There would be too many combo options with a gold set and there are only 6 Home games! It wouldn't be cost effective.
The team cannot use that old gold color. University marketing has really clamped down on the colors used on all ISU materials after being very lax and after Gene Chizik. Here is the official link to the type of red and gold that can be used https://www.brandmarketing.iastate.edu/brand-elements/color-palette/.
Maybe, but what we see in real life compared to the official color palette manifesto doesn't match. The cardinal we see is darker (good thing), the yellow/gold we see is lighter (bad). And there isn't any mention of the black and silver we now have for football, basketball, etc., in the official color palette release. So who knows.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
guaranteed that the football team can use whatever shade they want.
Not so sure. I still think Pollard holds to his stance on not changing the two primary colors, cardinal and gold. He could probably be persuaded by a Caoch like Campbell though to some degree. Obviously there has been additions, namely the black and silver.

What I am suggesting is to keep our present cardinal and our present yellow/gold, but to also ADD a second gold. They could do that easily. If they wanted. I realize it is a longshot with this particular ISU administration. But even while we are using all this black a second gold looks great with the trim.

Change is possible, not probable though I know, when it comes to adding a darker gold. I'm still working on some of the suggestions. When I get done with them I'm not even sure how to approach the administration yet. I'd like to try when the time is right. They can take it or leave it I guess.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Except the university color palette and the athletics color palette are different.

The university uses Pantone 186 and 142 as its "cardinal" and "gold."

Athletics uses 187 and 123 as the primary "cardinal" and "gold" colors.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Except the university color palette and the athletics color palette are different.

The university uses Pantone 186 and 142 as its "cardinal" and "gold."

Athletics uses 187 and 123 as the primary "cardinal" and "gold" colors.
Thank you @theshadow! Glad you know that and shared. That makes more sense since the university and athletic Pantone colors don't match!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I'll just throw this out here. This is kind of what I envision. Keeping our current gold, adding a second, darker gold for trim (later for gold set if desired). I've got 5 sets done. Here is set 1 (stripe to cardinal pant, stripe to white helmet)..
CyUni 2022 CardinalWhiteBlackOptionalGold 11a.jpg CyUni 2022 CardinalWhiteBlackSet 1a.jpg

Reactions: 2speedy1 and Aclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron