Jethro's wants to open in Ames

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Both are happening with the Research Park expansion, will be a light at the interchange on the north side of 30 and a large roundabout at Airport and University.

that just made my day. Thank you

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I agree, I have had much better BBQ (Smokey D's), but Jethros has a few good items on the menu, like boneless wing and waffle fry nachos. For me, I like Jethros because of the atmosphere. It is one of the better places to watch a game, IMO.

I was just at the Ankeny one and it would be a very good place to spend the first days of the NCAA on the days ISU isn't playing. TVs everywhere, spacious, good food, good bar/beer.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I know I mentioned the story about the Dahls spot :

The old Carlos O Kelly's now Other Place would have been a great Jethros location.
The old Hastings/Library would be a good spot.

Although it would be great if they would go into an existing strip (fill a vacant space), I'm not sure they would want to. The old Dahl's would be a strange location just due to the size of the building, think that will end up being retail and not a restaurant. However I could see it being a standalone building on the mall property There are two spaces available: one in front of JcPenny and another by Fazoli's), that would be great for the north grand area and not a bad location imo. Otherwise maybe one of the new campustown projects (although parking may be a concern there), a site in west ames (maybe the parcel between Cazador and May House), the parcel at the corner of University and Airport Rd., or on South Duff (maybe where Carney's used to be).

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
Just had Jethro's for the first time the other day. It's O.K., but it doesn't hold a candle to Smokey D's IMHO. I would love a Smokey D's in Ames. I think I'll go there for lunch today!

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Just had Jethro's for the first time the other day. It's O.K., but it doesn't hold a candle to Smokey D's IMHO. I would love a Smokey D's in Ames. I think I'll go there for lunch today!

Yeah Smokey D's is the best BBQ. I don't really consider Jethros to be a BBQ joint. It is more of a sports bar with some smoked meats on the menu.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I like Jethros. Smokey D's has better bbq but not as good as an atmospher. If you want the best bbq its smokey d's.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I've never even heard of Smokey D's. It really does depend on what you like to order and what type of 'bbq' is your personal favorite. I like HP for their sandwiches and generous portions for dinners. I like Jethro's for the meat selection, general menu variety, different sauces they offer (Georgia is my favorite), and some of their sides are really great (the breakfasts are pretty good also). I know a lot of people love Battles, but I've never been able to figure out why after experiencing it for myself. But Jethro's has been a favorite of our circle to visit for the past several years and it will be pretty great to not have to leave town to enjoy a visit. Although, my waistline and bank account may not appreciate it so much.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
There's a place called qdoggs bbq in cedar rapids that is really good imo

I heard the same from a bunch of people at work. Went there for lunch. Underwhelmed. Not bad, but more like an imitation of a good BBQ place. I think it looked more like a good bbq joint, as opposed to tasted like one. Food no better than BBQThis or Beef-O-Bradys.

Last edited:

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I've never even heard of Smokey D's. It really does depend on what you like to order and what type of 'bbq' is your personal favorite. I like HP for their sandwiches and generous portions for dinners. I like Jethro's for the meat selection, general menu variety, different sauces they offer (Georgia is my favorite), and some of their sides are really great (the breakfasts are pretty good also). I know a lot of people love Battles, but I've never been able to figure out why after experiencing it for myself. But Jethro's has been a favorite of our circle to visit for the past several years and it will be pretty great to not have to leave town to enjoy a visit. Although, my waistline and bank account may not appreciate it so much.

You don't like paying $8 for a little sandwich and a handful of generic Ruffles at Battles?? Not entirely serious but I only go there when someone else is paying or I'm just absolutely dying for BBQ.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The only thing I ever take away from these BBQ joint threads is that every single BBQ place is simultaneously amazing and terrible.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
You don't like paying $8 for a little sandwich and a handful of generic Ruffles at Battles?? Not entirely serious but I only go there when someone else is paying or I'm just absolutely dying for BBQ.

I've never been that hungry for bbq. Just not worth it. I could put ketchup on a pack of Carl Buddig sandwich meat at home if that's what I wanted. :no:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The only thing I ever take away from these BBQ joint threads is that every single BBQ place is simultaneously amazing and terrible.

I haven't met too many people who have been to Woody's Smoke Shack or Smoky D's and thinks Jethro's is better at any dish when it comes to BBQ. Not that Jethro's doesn't have it's place. Bigger menu and better atmosphere IMO at Jethro's. It will probably be the best BBQ in Ames when it opens, though.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I have never heard anyone say smokey d's is bad. They are national champs and won that tv show pitmasters as well. They have decent to good sides but the meat is awesome. Jethros is good to watch a game and eat some decent food. However if you want just great freakin bbq. Smokey d's is awesome. I have heard that "when pigs fly" is good also. Not sure if i got that name right.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Maybe people in Ames will finally realize that HP food is not that good. It is just a sit down Culvers anymore.

Disagree. HP is solid. BBQ isn't top notch, but their smoked meats are good. What makes the place great is the selection, desserts and prices. That and you can take your kids and not worry about them being too loud. The place is basically a big loud feed trough. But, at the very least you know that everyone in your party is going to walk out of the place full, happy and you won't break the bank doing it. That's worth something.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I like both Jethro's and Hickory Park. Actually one favorite thing about HP is getting a decent not oversized overpriced meal. Saucy Southerner with fries for $5 is a solid option I want some times. I guess one problem I have with Jethro's is just everything seems huge. Really don't think it will impact HP business much at all.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I have never heard anyone say smokey d's is bad. They are national champs and won that tv show pitmasters as well. They have decent to good sides but the meat is awesome. Jethros is good to watch a game and eat some decent food. However if you want just great freakin bbq. Smokey d's is awesome. I have heard that "when pigs fly" is good also. Not sure if i got that name right.

When Pigs Fly up and closed without any notice a year or two ago.