Jeremy I would like an explanation why my post was censored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
I thought one of your goals was not to moderate posts in this fashion. I would like to know what was offensive about my post and why my sarcasm was deleted.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Restricting people from being able to express there opinions is one thing, restricting things in poor taste or outright falsehoods is another. I don't support restricting at all the first, but totally support the latter.

Good call Jeremy ...make that Bryce

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Actually, I did it. It was something you have said 8 bazillion times, and you made ANOTHER thread just to rip a guy on the way out. Maybe it was right, maybe it was wrong, but it's done now and I don't feel bad about it.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
BryceC,

That is a complete lie. I challenge you to show me one instance of a reference I've made to support that lie.

Jeremy, I stongly suggest you review this issue and whether BryceC is the type of person you really trust with the power to censor peoples posts. BryceC you are a liar, and you used that as justification to censor a post.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
mt85, step back a minute and regardless of what you intended, look at how multiple people have reacted to and interpreted what you wrote. If multiple people are having the same reaction to something you might want to consider the possiblity that it was offensive regardless of how you intended it.

So...in my condescending way...step away from the keyboard, calm down and lets start talking ISU sports again.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
*Sigh*
I didn't edit your post. I don't know who did. This thread is in response to a post by Turd, his post is the only one I have ever done anything to, and I straight up deleted it. So before you go tossing around the strong words, please get the facts straight please. And just for future reference, if people have a problem with me or my actions that have nothing to do with Cyclone athletics, le'ts try and keep it in PM's. This kind of thing is a black eye for the forum.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
JCloned-I'm not going to step away from my keyboard. BryceC censored my post then he justified it with a complete lie.

I can accept when peoples opinions disagree with mine, but I stand behind that what I posted was not personal and it is a violation of the spirit of this boards mission to censor it. I'm going to defend myself and the free discussion on this board.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
BryceC sorry about the misunderstanding. I presume that JCloned is the one responsible for censoring my post.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I don't know what was said mt85 so I can't judge if I thought you were out of line or not. I will suggeset however you handle matters in private messages to those involved....the other 1900 members of cyclone fanatic probably don't care no offense to you. Also, it just gets blown out of proportion when it is a forum.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
mt85-
I edited your post in a quick action because I came to my computer and had a couple of PM's from people that found the post offensive. I had to leave right away again and just removed the part that people complained about and didn't have time to write a reply or reason why.

As I have stated many times in the past, I do not believe in censoring the boards unless it is something that many people could find offensive and doesn't provide insight into the topic mentioned.

Having looked back at what you said and the context you said it, it probably did not justify being removed from your post and I definitely should have taken the time to write something about it either way. I apologize for removing the text and have included it below so everybody knows what were discussing.

I will work with the moderators on the site to put some guidelines in place for what constitutes moderation and we can make those guidelines readily available on the site. I think we all agree that what makes this site very unique and attractive is the fact that all opinions matter and that we don't ban people for having different opinions. In fact, there are only four total posts that have been moderated that I can tell, not bad for 6609 posts.

The text below is what we are discussing. This was in response to Degand leaving Ames for somewhere more comfortable. The complaints I had received were from people interpreting it that Degand, by referring to city life in the article, participated in the 'gang, drug, and shooting' activities listed in your post. I realize that you were being sarcastic. Please accept my apologies.

Text in dispute:
"I guess he didn't feel comfortable with the safe neighborly enviroment of Ames, IA. The lure of gangs, drug dealing and drive by shootings just aren't available in Ames."

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Jeremy-

I appreciate your response and explaination. I will try to avoid sarcasm in the future because I really was just trying to inject some humor.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
mt85-

Completely understandable. Sarcasm is great, some people just read it differently than you intended it. Believe me, I don't always come across the best way possible to people:)

I think you meant well and hope there aren't any hurt feelings.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
[quote1146856185=Jeremy]
mt85-

Completely understandable. Sarcasm is great, some people just read it differently than you intended it. Believe me, I don't always come across the best way possible to people:)

I think you meant well and hope there aren't any hurt feelings.
[/quote1146856185]

None whatsoever. I also want to express my appreciation for what you've created. Keep up the good work.

jgooder

Apr 13, 2006
Michigan
Actually, this is entertaining stuff. I think you should keep these discussions out in the open for their entertainment value alone.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If Fernald wanted some city life, all he had to do was drive to Des Moines.
(Really just some more sarcasm - gotta get some fun into this thread somewhere.)

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
My 2 cents worth-MT85 may have been trying to be funny, but it was a not so subtle put down of DeGand and inner city life for a lot of these kids. To me it was anything but funny and promotes a bad stereotype. I can see why it was deleted as it could be inflammatory to current players or inner city recruits that may be reading this board. But I can also see why it was put back on the board. People can read it and make their own opinions as to whether this is acceptable sarchasm or something worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron