Jamie's level of concern pertaining to Iowa

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
And I refuse to continue to think like that because some people are thinking it has to be one or the other. BS! Start beating the effin Hawkeyes!!

You should probably call in to the Campbell call in show and ask him to start actually trying to beat the hawks. He'd love that.

• Funny
Reactions: CySmurf

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Football team certainly put itself into a place to win against Iowa. CMC can't go on the field and make sure players don't drop INTs or not fumble...the game plan was there.

WBB - Iowa just outshot and outplayed us down the stretch. BF had bigger things to worry about that day. He credited Iowa as the better team and didn't throw his own girls under the bus.

MBB: Simply out played. Iowa wanted it more and hit more shots. Prohm has got to figure out how to score against a zone when we don't shoot well. I am interested to see how the season progresses.

There will be better days ahead. We were rewarded for loyalty with the Camping World Bowl. Let's not abandon that type of fanbase mentality.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Sadly, when we lose to Iowa it impacts instate recruiting. Is it the most important game of the year? Heck no, but it’s damned important to Iowans. Losing to them hurts me worse than losing to an Oklahoma mainly because state bragging rights are involved. Especially when you know they aren’t a better team. The only one I can say that about this year is MBB.

Maybe you should have bill try to actually catch up to bluder. As a resident WBB fan, worry about that first.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Not sure where this thread is going. Fennely has been passed by Bluder, and Prohm is already starting to fracture the ISU fan base. CMC was a home run hire, lets see if he is still at ISU in 3 years.

Heck I'd say that Fred was the home run BB hire, way more than Prohm, but he is gone. Jamie had the home run Wrestling coach, and let him slip away. Jamie hired Rhoads and Chiz before he hit on CMC, so if CMC leaves, you have a 33% chance to get a good hire out of Jamie and a 67% chance of getting an awful one.

If you are only judging Jamie on his coaching hires, he has been somewhat bad actually. I'm not sure what AD in the country that has gotten a 3rd chance at a head football coaching hire after two complete failures like he had.

Last edited:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Football team certainly put itself into a place to win against Iowa. CMC can't go on the field and make sure players don't drop INTs or not fumble...the game plan was there.

WBB - Iowa just outshot and outplayed us down the stretch. BF had bigger things to worry about that day. He credited Iowa as the better team and didn't throw his own girls under the bus.

MBB: Simply out played. Iowa wanted it more and hit more shots. Prohm has got to figure out how to score against a zone when we don't shoot well. I am interested to see how the season progresses.

There will be better days ahead. We were rewarded for loyalty with the Camping World Bowl. Let's not abandon that type of fanbase mentality.

What bothered me about the mens basketball game was that for like the 5th year in a row Iowa flat out just out efforted us in the first 8 minutes and it reflected on the scoreboard. We take the same bad shots over and over and they knock down clean looks. It's unbelievable how predictable it is.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Not sure where this thread is going. Fennely has been passed by Bluder, and Prohm is already starting to fracture the ISU fan base. CMC was a home run hire, lets see if he is still at ISU in 3 years.

Heck I'd say that Fred was the home run BB hire, way more than Prohm, but he is gone. Jamie had the home run Wrestling coach, and let him slip away. Jamie hired Rhoads and Chiz before he hit on CMC, so if CMC leaves, you have a 33% chance to get a good hire out of Jamie and a 67% chance of getting an awful one.

If you are only judging Jamie on his coaching hires, he has been really bad actually. I'm not sure what AD in the country that has gotten a 3rd chance at a head football coaching hire after two complete failures like he had.

On paper MCD and the Chiz were great hires though.... Did they pan out? No, but you can't fault JP for those hires. JFC they were two of the hottest names in the country. Iowa can say the same thing regarding Lick.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

If you are only judging Jamie on his coaching hires, he has been really bad actually. I'm not sure what AD in the country that has gotten a 3rd chance at a head football coaching hire after two complete failures like he had.
Alright.. This is idiotic lol. Fred Hoiberg was hired without any coaching experience and ended up being a perfect hire for Jamie.. Can't fault Jamie for Fred not wanting to be here. He then went out and got Steve who has more hardware at Iowa State than the last 3 Iowa basketball coaches combined. Sure Steve is receiving some criticism right now, some of it being warranted, some of it being a bit of an overreaction due to a bad loss.

You're now saying CMC is gone after he literally just extended his contract, says he wants to be at Iowa State, and has turned down interviews from Arkansas, Florida, Florida State, Tennessee, and the Jets in the last calendar year. Jamie has done a great job at Iowa State, and it has not been easy at all. Before talking down our AD, maybe take a look at your own AD who has had multiple lawsuits against him and is constantly making the University of Iowa look bad.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Alright.. This is idiotic lol. Fred Hoiberg was hired without any coaching experience and ended up being a perfect hire for Jamie.. Can't fault Jamie for Fred not wanting to be here. He then went out and got Steve who has more hardware at Iowa State than the last 3 Iowa basketball coaches combined. Sure Steve is receiving some criticism right now, some of it being warranted, some of it being a bit of an overreaction due to a bad loss.

You're now saying CMC is gone after he literally just extended his contract, says he wants to be at Iowa State, and has turned down interviews from Arkansas, Florida, Florida State, Tennessee, and the Jets in the last calendar year. Jamie has done a great job at Iowa State, and it has not been easy at all. Before talking down our AD, maybe take a look at your own AD who has had multiple lawsuits against him and is constantly making the University of Iowa look bad.

I didn't say CMC was gone, I said lets see if he is here in 3 years is all. How is that not fair, do you think other programs are going to quit coming after him?

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
On paper MCD and the Chiz were great hires though.... Did they pan out? No, but you can't fault JP for those hires. JFC they were two of the hottest names in the country. Iowa can say the same thing regarding Lick.

Good and bad hires are determined by results, not winning the PR war the day after the hire. Alford and Lick were PR wins the day after the hire, but were awful hires.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
You should probably call in to the Campbell call in show and ask him to start actually trying to beat the hawks. He'd love that.
He'd agree with me and say it's been an opportunity they haven't taken advantage of yet but looks forward to the amazing challenge of growing in the process and beating them in the future

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I didn't say CMC was gone, I said lets see if he is here in 3 years is all. How is that not fair, do you think other programs are going to quit coming after him?
This same argument was made for Kirk and Bill Snyder, yet they stuck around. I think CMC is cut from the same cloth.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
This same argument was made for Kirk and Bill Snyder, yet they stuck around. I think CMC is cut from the same cloth.

That is correct, I never said CMC was gone, just said lets see if he is here. You have pointed out 2 coaches that stayed for a long period, I could point out 50 that left.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Good and bad hires are determined by results, not winning the PR war the day after the hire. Alford and Lick were PR wins the day after the hire, but were awful hires.

We really don’t know how Chiz would have turned out. When you don’t have money to pay to get and hold coaches it is tough, that was the case then, we are better now. Chiz had about the same results as KF did his first two years at Iowa, did you say that was a bad hire then?

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
We really don’t know how Chiz would have turned out. When you don’t have money to pay to get and hold coaches it is tough, that was the case then, we are better now. Chiz had about the same results as KF did his first two years at Iowa, did you say that was a bad hire then?

Ferentz proved he was a great hire. Chiz proved he was an awful hire by jumping ship after 2 years.

• Disagree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Can you recall what Iowa States athletic budget looked like when those guys were hired? Chiz was here 2 years and jumped to "green pastures". There wasn't anything JP could do there and who knows how things would have looked f we could have kept him. McD just flat out didn't work out and argument can be made that JP held on for maybe a year too long. Iowa State is on a completely different playing field now regarding financials and JP is a big reason for it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That is correct, I never said CMC was gone, just said lets see if he is here. You have pointed out 2 coaches that stayed for a long period, I could point out 50 that left.
Right.. But after three years of turning down high level programs, I don't see CMC leaving any time soon. So hearing people say "we have to wait and see what CMC does in a couple years" every single year is starting to get old. Matt Campbell loves Iowa State and hasn't given the slightest indication that he's going to leave.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Can you recall what Iowa States athletic budget looked like when those guys were hired? Chiz was here 2 years and jumped to "green pastures". There wasn't anything JP could do there and who knows how things would have looked f we could have kept him. McD just flat out didn't work out and argument can be made that JP held on for maybe a year too long. Iowa State is on a completely different playing field now regarding financials and JP is a big reason for it.

Trying to spin Chiz as a good hire is simply trying to put lipstick on a pig. As you said McD was a bad hire, and Jamie held onto him too long as well, and lucked out that he took the Creighton job as he was gonna keep him on yet another year. Rhoads was the same thing. Jamie kept him on at a year too long.

Listen, I get that things got better after that, but if you are trying to paint those 2006-2015 years as good for ISU football, that is just revisionist history. That is a decade of bad football under 1 AD

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron