Jamie Pollard on KXNO today

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
I believe you 100% on all of these items. Long story short though, WF Arena is in direct competition with Hilton. If you wanted to look at the list of shows that hit WF over the last 15 years, and tell me which one probably would have played better at Hilton, I would be open to it but I think it's time as a venue for big shows had passed anyway, and this is coming from somebody who saw several there in the mid-90s to mid-aughts.
True, but i Think WF has two things that don't involve seating capacity that are the major factors in their success-GLOBAL SPECTRUM and schedule flexibility.

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
Those buildings are much nicer than the brutalist architecture IMO. We should do what we can to save CY because it would be a loss but the brutalist architecture is just not good.

For CY you would want to do something to kind of hide the loading area and just repair the inside.

Scheman should be dramatically remolded or replaced if not feasible. It just isn’t built for todays uses.
"Not good" is a matter of taste. I would rather take an architects word regarding the significance of a building, and they have already weighed in.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
A performing arts venue discussion with overly dramatic takes? Color me shocked.

Stephens isn't going anywhere. The "Save C.Y." takes are ridiculous. It needs $25M+ in upkeep. There's not exactly a revenue source available to pay for it all at once.

The good news is that for the people who are super concerned, there's a chance to make a difference:

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
"Not good" is a matter of taste. I would rather take an architects word regarding the significance of a building, and they have already weighed in.
It is objectively true that most people find brutalist architecture distasteful. For its style it is a great building. Both of the other buildings look interesting and attractive. I don’t think it would have been the end of the world to lose either if they were in disrepair.

You have a hard on for brutalist architecture and that is fine but don’t expect everyone else to feel like it is a masterpiece.

As everyone has said they want to see it saved.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
It is objectively true that most people find brutalist architecture distasteful. For its style it is a great building. Both of the other buildings look interesting and attractive. I don’t think it would have been the end of the world to lose either if they were in disrepair.

You have a hard on for brutalist architecture and that is fine but don’t expect everyone else to feel like it is a masterpiece.

Sadly, in this day and age, all it takes is a coat of gaudy bright colored paint to make it contemporary.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Since we're all reliving shows at CY, I saw Henry Rollins there in the mid 2000's

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina

"Most people" have no understanding of art and architecture, they only know what they like and don't like.

I don't actually have a "hard on for brutalist architecture". I can see the beauty in all sorts of architectural styles. I like thoughtful design, not form over function but form AND function, both of which Stephens has in spades. I have a problem with letting great buildings fall into disrepair and then demolishing them to be replaced with something that will most likely not reach the same level.

I'm an advocate for historic preservation and restoration and not wasting resources and not leaving Ames and ISU without a performance hall, especially one that has been praised by those who know what they're talking about.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
True, but i Think WF has two things that don't involve seating capacity that are the major factors in their success-GLOBAL SPECTRUM and schedule flexibility.

I mean this sincerely there are like 60 games between basketball and hockey that are played there every year, It can't be a whole lot different than Hilton when it comes to that schedule flexibility.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
"Most people" have no understanding of art and architecture, they only know what they like and don't like.

Art is subjective.

I can be impressed by the engineering marvel that is CY Stephens and not like what it looks like. That's not the same thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Brutalist architecture can definitely have its appeal, but I think that the style can look really bad really quick if the maintenance isn't kept up as the concrete can easily end up looking grungy. That and there's so much of it in the ISC. Thankfully the planned projects for Hilton should soften that up a bit by adding more glass\lighting to the area.

Reactions: werdnamanhill

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
Art is subjective.

I can be impressed by the engineering marvel that is CY Stephens and not like what it looks like. That's not the same thing.
Art is subjective, and there are people that hate the look of art that is nearly unanimously hailed by art historians and artists as some of the greatest in history. Liking something isn't the same as that thing being of high quality.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Art is subjective, and there are people that hate the look of art that is nearly unanimously hailed by art historians and artists as some of the greatest in history. Liking something isn't the same as that thing being of high quality.

I don't think anybody is saying that CY, in it's design and execution, isn't high quality. It's that it's in a state of disrepair that will take major funding to get out of, and that they don't like the look of it.

Brutalist architecture is being torn down much faster than new projects are being commissioned. I'll let you draw whatever conclusions you will from that.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I don't think anybody is saying that CY, in it's design and execution, isn't high quality. It's that it's in a state of disrepair that will take major funding to get out of, and that they don't like the look of it.

Brutalist architecture is being torn down much faster than new projects are being commissioned. I'll let you draw whatever conclusions you will from that.

What kind of funding will it take to tear it down and build a new performing arts center? Or is that sort of thing not needed in your opinion?

• Agree
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
The greatest art I've ever witnessed is the Kempt to Lazard 4th quarter touchdown pass in Norman, Oklahoma, to absolutely stun the silent stadium.

I let out a blood curdling scream and my family laughed at me as 80,000+ Sooner fans turned to see who the lunatic was way up in the cheap seats.

Last edited: