Jamie Pollard had us as the last 2 seed in his submission

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
It sounds to me like the committee struggled with what to do with Tennessee. They felt they had the resume‘ and decided the best option was to put them in the Midwest as opposed to going South. Just guessing but it looks like they felt Houston was overall one seed and shouldn’t be paired with Tennessee. Once they made that mistake, that meant they were pretty much trapped into sending the other three 2 seeds where they did because of travel, and conference affiliation.

Nothing like group think in these situations.

• Disagree
Reactions: nrg4isu

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Emory asked him why the conference tourney games didn't factor into the men's seeding as much as the women's bracket and Pollard responded by saying ISUs non-con sucked lol, so he didn't really answer the question.

Whatever, I was already past the bracket. Makes sense this bracket is the worst in the past few years though. Seems like their criteria is out of whack and changes year to year.

Now let's go win.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Emory asked him why the conference tourney games didn't factor into the men's seeding as much as the women's bracket and Pollard responded by saying ISUs non-con sucked lol, so he didn't really answer the question.

Whatever, I was already past the bracket. Makes sense this bracket is the worst in the past few years though. Seems like their criteria is out of whack and changes year to year.

Now let's go win.
He dodged it by saying he wasn't involved in the women's seeding.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I've been a big Pollard supporter and I'm sure I will continue to be, but boy he really botched this one. His (and the committee's) logic that NCSOS > overall SOS is so convoluted it's embarrassing, and the fact that he's using this logic to adversely impact his own school is angering his own school's incredibly loyal fan base.

Jamie is a super intelligent person, and that's what's so perplexing to me. I'm afraid, though, he's in too deep now that he's publicly stated his opinion and he has too much pride to back track at this point. I hope, for his sake, we do well in the tournament and everyone forgets about this.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I've been a big Pollard supporter and I'm sure I will continue to be, but boy he really botched this one. His (and the committee's) logic that NCSOS > overall SOS is so convoluted it's embarrassing, and the fact that he's using this logic to adversely impact his own school is angering his own school's incredibly loyal fan base.

Jamie is a super intelligent person, and that's what's so perplexing to me. I'm afraid, though, he's in too deep now that he's publicly stated his opinion and he has too much pride to back track at this point. I hope, for his sake, we do well in the tournament and everyone forgets about this.
People won't forget regardless.

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
The issue with Tennessee being the best 2 seed is they couldn't go east and play the top overall. Marquette also couldn't go east. So it was either Arizona or ISU in the east.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Yeah but if we don’t make it that far it’s Pollards fault
It's Pollards fault if we're not able to beat SDSU, Wazzu or Drake? Those are the teams between ISU and a Sweet 16. Come on.

Seems dumb that he put us at the #8 overall but if we don't make the Sweet 16 then Pollard's seeding is the least of our problems.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

I think he's hoping for anything but a tough loss in the Elite 8 to UCONN.

• Winner
Reactions: nrg4isu

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
There’s a reason Jamie is respected amongst his peers. He’s walking the committee line here, whether we like it or not. Ultimately it’s better for us if he’s in the room vs if he is not.

He’s not always my cup of tea, but he’s stepped up to defend ISU publicly in the past. Remember all the “apology letter” stuff a few years back when we were getting screwed with bad calls?

Make peace with this: the committee’s process is not really about fairness. It’s about driving up TV ratings and making compelling matchups that drive $$$.

UNC shouldn’t be a 1 over us. Michigan St shouldn’t even be in the tournament. KU shouldn’t be a 4 with the path they have. But all of them are blue bloods with a lot of fans and that’s that.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
So if I'm understanding him correctly he single-handedly ****** us because he was trying to game the system into getting us into Omaha and didn't understand that we didn't need to be the lowest 2 in order to play there?

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I think the biggest aspect Sunday evening showed was that they largely put the entire bracket in place well before the conference tournaments with minor adjustments when absolutely forced to do so.

Agree. The selection committee basically said conference tournaments don't mean much at all.

If I'm TJ and we're already a relatively high seed going into next year's Big 12 tournament, I rest my starters for most of the game(s), whether they're injured or not.

Reactions: wxman1

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
So if I'm understanding him correctly he single-handedly ****** us because he was trying to game the system into getting us into Omaha and didn't understand that we didn't need to be the lowest 2 in order to play there?
He said being ahead of Marquette wouldn't of mattered and Tennessee was more deserving because they beat A&M by 20.

Fact check
They crushed A&M at home but lost by 16 on the road. NOW HE'S STARTING TO PISS ME OFF!

Reactions: CycloneErik

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Oh, I agree. The entire reasoning was BS and really unsupportable but in Jamie’s position, he has to go out and put lipstick on that pig.
When almost every talking head, as well as the majority of current/past coaches, are heavily critizing the job JP and the committee did with ISU’s seeding, what else what you expect out of him? It’s not in JP’s wheelhouse to admit he got this one wrong.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Pretty dumb comments from him but I'm so over talking about the bracket. I'm ready to watch some games!

Reactions: wxman1