Jamie Pollard and "Night Games"

NWIAclone

Apr 11, 2006
Lake Okoboji
Speaking as a father who has a son playing youth football---thank you for the
night games. My son has youth football games every Saturday afternoon throughout September and without the scheduled night games we would not be able to attend the Cyclone games. Although my son is only 12 years old,
he dreams of being a Cyclone someday. Thank you Jamie Pollard for making the schedule "Family Friendly".:)

yescyam

Apr 11, 2006
Le Mars, IA
Also from NW Iowa here, but in my case the night games aren't quite as family friendly. I can't take my kids because the games get over too late to get them home (3 1/2 hr. drive). I'd fork over the $ for a hotel, but we're heavily involved with church on Sun. morn. The kids are lucky enough to have grandparents close by, so the wife can at least come with.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Night games are great for most people, but it is impossible to be able to please everyone. I would imagine that the best case scenario for all fans would be a mix of night and day games. But as it stands, more people wanted night games, so bring it on!!

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
The night games are a tremendous idea. The reason I'm even in to football is because of the nights of getting my friends together to go see my high school team play under the lights. Seeing such games played against Texas A&M and Colorado, and now Toledo, UNLV, and UNI creates nostalgia like none other.

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
There are pros and cons to every decision. I see the pros being we get a break from the September heat that can still bake a clam on a half shell in JTS. Later in the year we welcome the heat and it is nice to have day games. The cons are for those that live more than 2 hours away and will still be driving past midnight.

JP has been right on with other decisions and I am betting with him on this one too. I look for a 50,000 watt party for each of the night games.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
My most memorable ISU game was at night

Texas Tech at JTS. Seneca goes for "the run" under the lights. What an atmosphere that was.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
I was at my first night game played at JTS against Wyoming in '96 I think.
My dad and I were on the goal line where we missed the field goal to lose the game in OT. The first of many painful missed field goals in my memory bank. But it sure was fun to see the game under the lights.

Last edited:

CloneForever

Apr 11, 2006
Not even close

I was at the first night game played at JTS against Wyoming in '96 I think.
My dad and I were on the goal line where we missed the field goal to lose the game in OT. The first of many painful missed field goals in my memory bank. But it sure was fun to see the game under the lights.

I do not remember the first night game, but I do remember a game against Oklahoma in the 80's that was a tremendous night game. Big underdogs and had them on the ropes until a late run (long) tipped it in their favor.

zdorr40

Apr 3, 2006
Des Moines
Visit site
Texas Tech at JTS. Seneca goes for "the run" under the lights. What an atmosphere that was.

I was at that game as well. What an incredible play. I'll take that to my grave with me. Just like the pimp slapping of Iowa, and the sweet Curvey INT vs. CU.

Here's to another great season and more terrific memories.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
That was the first one...

I do not remember the first night game, but I do remember a game against Oklahoma in the 80's that was a tremendous night game. Big underdogs and had them on the ropes until a late run (long) tipped it in their favor.

Homecoming, 1984. #2 Oklahoma comes to town. Game on ESPN. Paul Maguire, formerly of ESPN Sunday Night Football fame, was the color analyst (and was terrible back then, too). First-ever night game in JTS (or CS/JTF, at that time).

Good guys fought valiantly to the end.

That atmosphere was electric.

zdorr40

Apr 3, 2006
Des Moines
Visit site
Homecoming, 1984. #2 Oklahoma comes to town. Game on ESPN. Paul Maguire, formerly of ESPN Sunday Night Football fame, was the color analyst (and was terrible back then, too). First-ever night game in JTS (or CS/JTF, at that time).

Good guys fought valiantly to the end.

That atmosphere was electric.

So ESPN actually has done a game at Ames? Amazing.