jameel mckay leaving marquette

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
I'm pretty sure the NCAA rule requires anyone who transfers must sit out one year from the time they enroll at the new school. McKay wouldn't be able to enroll anywhere until the start of the second semester, which would make him eligible at the start of the second semester next year and leave him with 1 1/2 years.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Was everyone else mentioned? I don't like reading into this stuff but his last tweet doesn't sound good if what you're saying is true.

He tweets crazy stuff all the time. He tweets like an Iowa assistant basketbal coach.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Bohanan at Louisville has been suspended , and Pitino called his reinstatement possible not probable.
Total fantasy, but what about him transferring at semester and being eligible next January for ISU?....

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
No he didn't, so I'm not sure what that post was about. I count 12 scholarships this year, unless Bubu was still allowed to keep his for some reason.

I would think it is too late for a transfer for this year, so he would probably have to sit out a year, but so far, ISU has not landed a front court/post player for 2014 except Nader, so......he may be a good option. I'm not sure about the transfer rules though, and if he would still have 1 or 2 years left if he sat out a year. If he is only a one year option, there may be someone who would be a better fit.

I thought his violation of the student code of conduct had led to his expulsion. If that's incorrect then my bad. But it doesn't matter either way, because you don't get the scholarship back just because a player isn't on the team anymore for whatever reason. Once he was awarded that scholarship it is gone for the academic year.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Saw Mckay play in person and I pretty much thought meh.

He was great the night I saw him, I dont think he's a superstar by any means but I do think with his athleticism he'd fit in really with in Fred's system.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I'm pretty sure the NCAA rule requires anyone who transfers must sit out one year from the time they enroll at the new school. McKay wouldn't be able to enroll anywhere until the start of the second semester, which would make him eligible at the start of the second semester next year and leave him with 1 1/2 years.

Yep I'm pretty sure that's the rule too. Same exact situation as when Maurice Jones came to Iowa State. He left USC Sept 2012, got to campus Jan 2013, and he wouldn't have been able to play until Dec 20, 2013.

The same would be true for McKay. He would start class/practice at Iowa State Jan 13, 2014 but wouldn't be able to play until Dec 20, 2014. He would be a RS/Jr and be able to play about 2/3 of the 2014-15 season and the full 2015-16 season.

So really this school year we would only have to find him a scholarship for a semester. If the staff wants him they will find a way to get him here. I really hope they do! I would love to have a 6'8 PF/SF Juco All American who was the 3rd best juco player in the class of 2013, that led his team in scoring and rebounding averaging 17.8 ppg & 10.5 rpg; on an Indian Hills team that had 9 division 1 players(including McKay).

"Before choosing the Golden Eagles, McKay was considering Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa State, Memphis, and Missouri."

T.J. was the lead recruiter for him so that might hurt a little. Having Hogue on the team helps though. McKay would be a big get if we also miss on Cunningham.

Indian Hills Community College-Ottumwa - NJCAA Stats

2013 Top 100 Junior College Basketball Player Rankings | JucoRecruiting.com

Rivals.com Search Results - Yahoo Sports

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...jameel-mckay-reportedly-commits-to-marquette/

Last edited:

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Unless he's paying his own way this is a no go. We don't have an open scholarship to offer, Bubu's is still counted towards our total for 2013/14 even though he's off the team.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I laugh every time someone puts "Matt A." because they don't know how to spell Abdelmassih.

Come on, guys. He's been here for over 3 years. Everyone should know how to spell his name by now.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
I laugh every time someone puts "Matt A." because they don't know how to spell Abdelmassih.

Come on, guys. He's been here for over 3 years. Everyone should know how to spell his name by now.

Some people still can't spell Rhoads. I saw on the video board during the Texas game that someone made an ESPN sign with rhodEs, being the E. SMH...

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
So would he sit out a year technically? He never actually played in a game at Marquette but not sure how that works

DrShekelstein

Jul 30, 2013

Spelling ain't the problem for me. I think I have trouble saying his last name if anything