It's just so frustrating. ..

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'm inclined to give the 60k fans that still show up to these games year after year after little success or improvement on the filed a lot of leeway here and let them whine a little. I think they are at least owed that after all the support shown. Hell I question my own sanity every year when I renew. But there I was again to witness another clunker against an FCS team. No one is expecting miracles. I think what is expected is bare minimum success like beating the teams you should beat at home.

You've been there. CMC took over one of THE worst historically bad football program in America. There ARE no teams we should beat at this stage in our recovery.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Campbell at this point is a victim of the same crap Rhoads was. At some point, Joel Lanning needs to not turn the ball over 4 times. At some point players need to stop holding. At some point our kickers will stop missing extra points and kicking the ball out of bounds on the kick off. Only good thing to take from this is that we can fix these things, theoretically. You can be the greatest coach in the world but if you have guys that aren't executing it doesn't matter. Looked like a Paul Rhoads team too me, and that is entirely on him to this point. Give Campbell 5 games and then let the boos rise you bunch of ignorant Nancies.

I'm faulting Lanning for only 3 of those TOs - that first INT was due to a WR running the wrong route on a timing play and wasn't in position to make a play on the ball where Lanning threw it. Everyone was like "WTF, Lanning?" on that play when they should have been saying "WTF, receiver?" That being said, there was that safety in the end zone that I don't know if you were counting or not that more than makes up for that one.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Not to mention those of us at home that spent money to, ahem... "TRY" to watch the game on cyclones.tv last night. What a joke that was. Like I said last night, there are many reasons why I don't consistently buy a lengthy subscription. Last night, though, the fact that it didn't work when we needed it to, was the primary reason.

Other than the first few minutes I had a solid, uninterrupted game stream.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Campbell at this point is a victim of the same crap Rhoads was. At some point, Joel Lanning needs to not turn the ball over 4 times. At some point players need to stop holding. At some point our kickers will stop missing extra points and kicking the ball out of bounds on the kick off. Only good thing to take from this is that we can fix these things, theoretically. You can be the greatest coach in the world but if you have guys that aren't executing it doesn't matter. Looked like a Paul Rhoads team too me, and that is entirely on him to this point. Give Campbell 5 games and then let the boos rise you bunch of ignorant Nancies.

Do you know how I know this is not a CPR team...When a certain LB didn't cover his RB assignment and UNI scored a TD to a pass to that RB..I saw our D coord Heacock run down the sideline and literally rip into that LB for a good 10 minutes..yes 10 minutes..I watched the entire time..all the way down the sideline back to the bench just screaming right in his face. Never before have I seen an ISU coach do that. These kids need a big time wake up call..This is not the CPR era. You do your assignment and do it well or sit. I felt for the kid but something has to change.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm faulting Lanning for only 3 of those TOs - that first INT was due to a WR running the wrong route on a timing play and wasn't in position to make a play on the ball where Lanning threw it. Everyone was like "WTF, Lanning?" on that play when they should have been saying "WTF, receiver?" That being said, there was that safety in the end zone that I don't know if you were counting or not that more than makes up for that one.

I'm sorry that is still on Lanning. The safety had umbrella coverage on that play and even if Ryen? I think ran the right hot route, that safety is still going to be there for the break up and interception. Either way ok sure maybe 3 were directly his fault but that was not a smart throw.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Iowa isn't a topic of conversation here and what exactly goes into it? Are you implying Jimbo Fischer is right and we have a morale obligation to UNI.

Political considerations perhaps? Iowa economy perhaps? Game pay-out perhaps? Gate receipts perhaps? Institutional goodwill perhaps?

What I'm saying is I really want kids. It's just hard to catch them wearing clown shoes.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
The positive is as bad as we played, the self inflicted wounds are correctable. New everything from coaches to players, what could have gone wrong did

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Do you know how I know this is not a CPR team...When a certain LB didn't cover his RB assignment and UNI scored a TD to a pass to that RB..I saw our D coord Heacock run down the sideline and literally rip into that LB for a good 10 minutes..yes 10 minutes..I watched the entire time..all the way down the sideline back to the bench just screaming right in his face. Never before have I seen an ISU coach do that. These kids need a big time wake up call..This is not the CPR era. You do your assignment and do it well or sit. I felt for the kid but something has to change.

To be fair, I saw Rhoads rip into his kickers like this on a weekly basis.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
What a bunch of whiny A-holes. Did you honestlay think this staff would come in and make us 9-3 right away? There is a thing called talent that apparently we don't have as of yet. It takes time. The players currently on the roster have endured careers of losing football, and that mentality doesn't change overnight. You also act like we fe the only team that loses to bona fide FCS teams. Ask Mississippi State. Or Washington State.

If this happens in 2018, then it's fair to question what's going on. But good lord, one game in an already people are criticizing time outs, looking at his watch, the wrong words at a press conference. Give the man a break. Do you honestly think Coach Campbell wanted to lose that game? Do you think he doesn't know how to coach? Do you honestly think we have good depth when we are playing true freshman?

I bet most of you haven't done $hit in your life where you e had to pay a huge price for success. You probably finished last in a flag football league but got a participation ribbon anyway, so now you're an expert. You go in and watch the price these guys pay to play for you. I remember Hayden Fry coming to Iowa in the 70's and early in his start he lost games he shouldn't have lost. But eventually he built a winner.

Give Coach Campbell a season or two before you experts jump down his $hit.

Put down your coffee, you may have had enough. And check your blood pressure. :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: jay moe

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
What a bunch of whiny A-holes. Did you honestlay think this staff would come in and make us 9-3 right away? There is a thing called talent that apparently we don't have as of yet. It takes time. The players currently on the roster have endured careers of losing football, and that mentality doesn't change overnight. You also act like we fe the only team that loses to bona fide FCS teams. Ask Mississippi State. Or Washington State.

If this happens in 2018, then it's fair to question what's going on. But good lord, one game in an already people are criticizing time outs, looking at his watch, the wrong words at a press conference. Give the man a break. Do you honestly think Coach Campbell wanted to lose that game? Do you think he doesn't know how to coach? Do you honestly think we have good depth when we are playing true freshman?

I bet most of you haven't done $hit in your life where you e had to pay a huge price for success. You probably finished last in a flag football league but got a participation ribbon anyway, so now you're an expert. You go in and watch the price these guys pay to play for you. I remember Hayden Fry coming to Iowa in the 70's and early in his start he lost games he shouldn't have lost. But eventually he built a winner.

Give Coach Campbell a season or two before you experts jump down his $hit.

Last night I didn't feel like talent was the issue. This was a game where the guys weren't prepared and made huge mistakes and UNI didn't for the most part. I really want to see how this team responds over the next two weeks. The comment about looking like a Chizik team was spot on. But this is the first game with a new coach. Chizik teams kept making those same mistakes week after week. I want to see if this coaching staff can correct those mistakes.

Again, the talent was there. Now it is all about getting on the same page and figuring out how to limit the penalties and turnovers.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Political considerations perhaps? Iowa economy perhaps? Game pay-out perhaps? Gate receipts perhaps? Institutional goodwill perhaps?

What I'm saying is I really want kids. It's just hard to catch them wearing clown shoes.

Yup, and all those things are going to become even more critical as there is no and will be no contract between UNI and Iowa moving forward.

P.S. Needing UNI gate receipts is a moot concern for Iowa State in 2016.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
The thing is the good FCS teams are close to Iowa. That is why we play them. If UNI and NDSU wasn't in our back yard we wouldn't be playing them. Yes it sucks to lose to them, but at this point I guess you learn a lot about your team in week one, by playing them.
It is true that the good FCS teams are near Iowa but KU played Rhode Island. We are closer to Rhode Island so travel shouldn't be an issue when scheduling FCS.

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
1) It's sad that people are whining that we are scheduling an FCS team who is too tough.
2) Our O-line was obviously a mess but that will improve with experience. These guys had basically none.
3) I trust MC to make the right decisions regarding Lanning/Park whichever way he decides I trust his decision more than I would have CPR.
4) Our D played well enough to win and I'd say quite well considering how long they were on the field and how many times the offense put them in a horrible spot. They made at least one key goal line stand that I remember. I think the D played with a lot of heart.

So, while I'm really not happy that we lost. Like, couldn't sleep I was so frustrated. The reality is, it's going to take time and I think we will see progress as we go through the season.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
1) It's sad that people are whining that we are scheduling an FCS team who is too tough.
2) Our O-line was obviously a mess but that will improve with experience. These guys had basically none.
3) I trust MC to make the right decisions regarding Lanning/Park whichever way he decides I trust his decision more than I would have CPR.
4) Our D played well enough to win and I'd say quite well considering how long they were on the field and how many times the offense put them in a horrible spot. They made at least one key goal line stand that I remember. I think the D played with a lot of heart.

So, while I'm really not happy that we lost. Like, couldn't sleep I was so frustrated. The reality is, it's going to take time and I think we will see progress as we go through the season.

My positives from last night. Receivers, minus the two drops were great. Linebackers were pretty good(Sealey, McMillen, Northrup stood out to me) Defensive backfield was pretty good, can't expect them to cover forever, coupled with the mobile QB problem. Lanning's accuracy and feet are MUCH better. He just needs to settle down. If he can't stop committing turnovers though, he's done.

I'm upset we lost, but not defeated. That team did what all young teams do. Made stupid mistakes. That's what experience is. Knowing what to do, when to do it. Everyone just sit back, and drink whatever beer they like for Labor day week end and take a break from the hysteria we call ISU football fandom.

Reactions: t-noah

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Yup, blame Pollard for the ridiculous contract with UNI. We still have two more $500,000 payments to make in 2017 and 2019. In typical Pollard fashion though, there is probably a ten year extension on the way.

Pollard sh#t-canned the Airforce and Navy home & home series to bring in more UNI games, starting in 2015 and the San Jose State's of the world, etc.

I was making travel plans to Colorado Springs and the Navy Academy in Annapolis a couple years ago until Jamie pulled the plug. (I attended the Army game @ West Point in '05)

working out great for us! fill the stadium and LOSE to UNI

• Agree
Reactions: Rogue52

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Ummm, I'm not a whiny *******, I have done lots of **** in my life, was a very good football player/athlete, completely disagree with participation ribbons, and have worked very hard to attain success in my profession. I was simply making a post game comment about what I saw last night that looked like the same product I've seen for the past 35 some years and how it frustrates me to consistently not have a winning team. I am totally behind coach Campbell and hope he's the one to make it all change.

I can say its more or less the same dismal on field product ...for the last 50 years

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
This is my 5th new coach at Iowa State and the offseason before the new coach never changes. Never has Iowa State had a new coach that is so intelligent, charismatic, and well-qualified that says all these refreshing things and the old coach is described as so dumb you’d think he was mentally challenged and you wonder if he is smart enough to tie his shoes.

FBS football is hard. If you look around, it’s clear programs don’t change things around overnight. New coaches have to instill a new culture and identity, develop a new routine, interact with a new media market and alumni, put in a new playbook, evaluate all the players’ talent, scout all new opposing coaches, and build a recruiting network. It’s not surprising that having a perfectly prepared gameplan and team that knows the playbook inside and out for the first game might not happen.

Only time will tell if this is the time that an Iowa State coach starts having long-term success. Based on history, you need a special coach. You need a team identity that players and recruits buy into. A culture change where the team starts expecting to win. A transformative quarterback like Robert Griffin, Michael Vick, Michael Bishop, or Chuck Long. And probably more than a little luck.