It is either a donut or roll.. Don't make it so difficult

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
So what the hell is a donut? I know what a doughnut is. I assume donut is kind of like Kleenex, where at one point maybe is was a specific brand name that got converted into the general name for a doughnut? Or does it just involve the dumbing down of America where we feel we needed to shorten the word because doughnut was too tough?

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
So what the hell is a donut? I know what a doughnut is. I assume donut is kind of like Kleenex, where at one point maybe is was a specific brand name that got converted into the general name for a doughnut? Or does it just involve the dumbing down of America where we feel we needed to shorten the word because doughnut was too tough?

Derp

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center

A donut is delicious, that is the correct answer.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
This seems like a perfect Sunday topic and was reminded of this pet peeve I've mine this morning while picking up a Bismark from QT.

I get to the register, and the cashier asked if I had a regular or big donut in the bag.
Frequenting QT and dealing with their cashiers was your first mistake:twitcy:

Last edited:

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm...beignets!

A pershing is what most people here call a "fried cinnamon roll"...

images

I think they were actually "persians", but for some reason, many people across the south call them pershings.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm...beignets!

A pershing is what most people here call a "fried cinnamon roll"...

images

I think they were actually "persians", but for some reason, many people across the south call them pershings.

Cuz this is 'Merica! You wanna eat a roll with a monarchical, middle eastern connotation? Or do you wanna eat a roll with one of the most freedomy names in all of freedomdom?

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA

I think we can blame either Dunkins for the popular new spelling or texting

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I think we can blame either Dunkins for the popular new spelling or texting

Revkah is right...

From Grammarist:
"The dictionary-approved spelling for the ring-shaped cake made of dough and fried in fat is doughnut. The shortened donut has been around since the late 1800s, but it wasn’t popularized until the late 20th century, when the successful American doughnut chain Dunkin’ Donuts made it ubiquitous. Today, writers outside the U.S. still favor doughnut by a wide margin. Donut appears about a third of the time in published American writing.

Donut is a simpler spelling, so it may grow even more common now that it has a foothold. Those of us who don’t wish to assist Dunkin’ Donuts’s branding would be wise to resist the trend, though."

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
This seems like a perfect Sunday topic and was reminded of this pet peeve I've mine this morning while picking up a Bismark from QT.

I get to the register, and the cashier asked if I had a regular or big donut in the bag.

huh? It is a Bismark, it is a not a donut. Donuts have holes in the middle of them. That why we have donut holes.

Anything that is not a donut, is a roll. (BTW....QT lists this correctly as "rolls" on their signage, so this was a cashier thing, not QT's).

I noticed this awhile ago in our cafeteria at work. In the area they keep the donuts and rolls, they posted a sign with the prices of donut and "big donuts".

I'm curious now. Is this just a central Iowa thing or does this odd confusion exist elsewhere as well? I grew up in Minneapolis/northern Iowa and never came across this until locating to central Iowa.

So in all your years and all your travels, you've never heard of fried dough, filled with a fruit flavored substance referred to as a "Jelly Doughnut?" The hole has nothing to do with weather or not it's a doughnut.

Help Support Us

Become a patron