It’s hard to start things over

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Favorite grunge singer. Lane Stayley is my absolute favorite singer ever. Him and Cantrell are the best. Cornell is great but the m not as big as a fan. Who u got?
Not a huge fan of grunge, but holy cow, the voice on that dude. Didn't even hear this song until after he had passed, but it's incredible, and haunting.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
On board with Staley and Cornell in this discussion. Saw an awesome clip of Scott Weiland recording the opening to Dead & Bloated by yelling into Les Paul guitar pickups. The first words of their debut album I've heard a thousand times and 30 years later seeing how the unique sound was created is pretty cool.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Listen to Nutshell. Live . It’s unreal
Agreed, the version from unplugged is amazing. Its alot better than the album version imo.

On board with Staley and Cornell in this discussion. Saw an awesome clip of Scott Weiland recording the opening to Dead & Bloated by yelling into Les Paul guitar pickups. The first words of their debut album I've heard a thousand times and 30 years later seeing how the unique sound was created is pretty cool.

He must have modified his pickups then or they setup the guitar specifically for that song. That's not really how normal Les Paul pickups work.

I was always into Vedder and Cobain. Now I'm mostly Vedder with the other 3 a distant ways back. Cornell is an amazing singer but I just never was a big fan of their sound. They used drop D tuning alot.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Sometimes the real raw talent comes out when the person is digging in to something that only they get.

I always liked Alice in Chains just fine but didn't fully appreciate Lane until like 20 years after he was gone but him rambling out there after not being seen for like 2 years is pretty overwhelming in the context of everything.

He and anyone around him knew his fate. It's kind of remarkable he even lived as long as he did.

Did Cornell know his too?

Reactions: helechopper

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Cornell is #1 for me. Followed by Vedder.

I saw Cornell’s second to last show, three days before his death. So glad I went.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Chris Cornell hands down..Then Cobain. Listen to Slaves and Bulldozers then something like Seasons. Chris could do it all.

Reactions: Turn2

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Cantrell and Staley harmonize so well.

Threads like this remind me these bands/singers don't stick around forever. Kinda why I decided to pony up more than I thought it should have cost to see Smashing Pumpkins in Waukee.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Cantrell and Staley harmonize so well.

Threads like this remind me these bands/singers don't stick around forever. Kinda why I decided to pony up more than I thought it should have cost to see Smashing Pumpkins in Waukee.
All those concerts at Vibrant are ridiculously priced, I guess they have to pay for the new venue somehow.

I think it cost $120 just to see Staind. I saw them along with STP with Weiland and about 10 other bands for alot cheaper than that about 15 years ago.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Favorite grunge singer. Lane Stayley is my absolute favorite singer ever. Him and Cantrell are the best. Cornell is great but the m not as big as a fan. Who u got?
I have no idea who any of these people are. My least favorite singer is John Legend. I don't get the hype. As far as I'm concerned, he can't carry a tune in a bushel basket. A close second, and I mean really close, is Darius Rucker. Talk about a croaking bullfrog. That's Rucker. Then there's Justin Bieber. I don't consider him a singer at all, but a brand ... a brand I can't stand.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Not grunge, but I'm going with Paul Westerberg of The Replacements. I don't think I've heard anyone who sings straight from their gut the way he does, in this song probably more than any other...

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
All those concerts at Vibrant are ridiculously priced, I guess they have to pay for the new venue somehow.

I think it cost $120 just to see Staind. I saw them along with STP with Weiland and about 10 other bands for alot cheaper than that about 15 years ago.
It is a small venue though so i understand some of the price reasons.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Concerts in general are a helluva lot more expensive than 15 years ago.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I plugged this in that music thread but if you haven’t listened yet, I can recommend Pearl Jam’s new album more. Fantastic stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: Entropy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have no idea who any of these people are. My least favorite singer is John Legend. I don't get the hype. As far as I'm concerned, he can't carry a tune in a bushel basket. A close second, and I mean really close, is Darius Rucker. Talk about a croaking bullfrog. That's Rucker. Then there's Justin Bieber. I don't consider him a singer at all, but a brand ... a brand I can't stand.

They're not my faves either but to say they can't carry a tune is literally incorrect since they're on key for several measures.

Who do you listen to, think is a good singer and how have you not heard of the lead singers from a definitive era of music?

Reactions: HitItHard58