ISU/WVU post game thread

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Just disappointed on the way the season has gone, lots of
Excitement and now we have to listen to the idiots to the east talk about how great there team is.

A run in March will make this all disappear, just was hoping Georges could go out with a Better note

When naz went down we should have known this was not going to go well.

Button, Nader, niang are playing like studs if they had the McKay from last year the front line would be good as any in the country, MM AND MT are playing solid - just missing Naz and Cooke that we expected to see

Plus the refs sucked last night, and I don't blame officials - it was that bad

Uh...no, not defensively. Yes, a better McKay would have helped. But we lost games last year due to not getting stops and/or rebounding, too. Burton still learning on defense as far as I'm concerned, Georges is marginal defensively, and Hogue was well, a big asset for us.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Thank god the committee is more rational than our own fans. We have 8(!!) losses to the RPI Top 25. Think about that, outside of UNI, we've only lost to good and very good teams. We have 5 wins against the RPI Top 25, including against #1 seeds OU, KU and #2 seed Iowa.

There is no way we are getting penalized with a 6 or 7 seed (assuming we don't drop the upcoming games at home).

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I enjoy your posts a great deal - but comparing UNC to ISU doesn't really make sense. They'll gain advantage on their reputation.

I remember last season both UNC and Georgetown got 4 seeds despite both team having 10+ losses. I especially remember the G'town seeding because as a dual ISU/UNI fan I thought that UNI could have and should have gotten the 4 seed ahead of them.

Anyway, by Selection Sunday I can us having a very similar profile to both of those teams and getting a 4 seed as well, despite potentially having 10+ losses ourselves.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I enjoy your posts a great deal - but comparing UNC to ISU doesn't really make sense. They'll gain advantage on their reputation.

People are saying ISU is going to get a 6 or 7 seed because they will have 11 losses. UNC had 11 losses last year going into the tournament and were a 4 seed. We have a top 10 SOS, we're not going to be worse than a 5 seed if we win at home. UNC isn't going to get 2 seed lines better because of reputation

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
In regards to ISU:

Jeff (BPredict)@BPredict 10h10 hours ago
Jeff (BPredict) Retweeted Jeff Eisenberg
18th in KenPom last year. 17th in KenPom this year.

The difference between Iowa St last year & this year is luck in close games. Last year: 5-3 in games decided by 5 or fewer. 2-6 this year.

Last year, Iowa St outscored Big 12 opponents by 0.07 PPP. This year it's 0.06 PPP. Quite the drop-off.

Jeff (BPredict) Retweeted Brian Lazear
Iowa St is actually remarkably identical to last year. Good at the same things, bad at the same things.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
I'm disappointed in what Prohm has done given the expectations, were going to finish 6th in the league despite being preseason top 5. However, I find it funny that were complaining about being a 3 or 4 seed in the NCAA tourney whereas about 5-6 years ago we were hoping to just make it in regardless of seed. Amazing how much this fan base has changed so quickly. Go clones

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Prohm needs to trust the bench and give either Cooke or Ashton 5-10 more minutes. We can't play 6 guys the rest of the year, no way. Cooke has paid his dues and his upside is a lot more than Ashton's I think you have to play him and see what he can give you at this point. We need him to give Morris a break 5-10 each game. He's shown previously he can run the point.

He absolutely needs to play Cooke 10 minutes but not at the expense of Morris.
Monte can play 40 just make his "break" Georges starting the offense and Monte being the "2".
Georges needs a couple minute break every half so you have to have the rotation to pull that off.
Ashton needs to sit with the walk-ons.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Rebounding and defending, this teams two biggest weaknesses, are all about effort. This is all on the players, not the coaches.

Dec 29, 2015
8-7 in last 15 games, haven't been able to beat any of top tier Big 12 teams on their home court (while the other 5 above have). I think its time to simply say this team is a good team but not great. Just a slightly above average team overall and a great team at home. I mean, at 19-9, what else can you say about em?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Rebounding and defending, this teams two biggest weaknesses, are all about effort. This is all on the players, not the coaches.

Except the coaches run them into exhaustion, which in turn effects effort. Look at how both halves started last night. We played with great effort for the first 5-10 minutes of each half. Once fatigue sets in, the effort fades.

cyclonestans

Dec 20, 2013
Iowa
SIAP but was I the only one who noticed Mckay trying to cheer up Hallice and get his head into the game in a second half huddle? All Hallice could do is just shake his head repeatedly when Mckay was trying to get him to focus. I am afraid that when we inevitably need just a little out of Cooke in the tourney he might be checked out for the season

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
SIAP but was I the only one who noticed Mckay trying to cheer up Hallice and get his head into the game in a second half huddle? All Hallice could do is just shake his head repeatedly when Mckay was trying to get him to focus. I am afraid that when we inevitably need just a little out of Cooke in the tourney he might be checked out for the season

I saw what you're talking about, but didn't even come close to interpreting it the same way as you did.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
8-7 in last 15 games, haven't been able to beat any of top tier Big 12 teams on their home court (while the other 5 above have). I think its time to simply say this team is a good team but not great. Just a slightly above average team overall and a great team at home. I mean, at 19-9, what else can you say about em?

ISU is a top 20 team. That's all that really needs to be said. ISU hasn't even been great at home this year

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

In one of Rob's articles he mentioned that Hallice left Oregon St because he was allergic to losing, he was probably trying to deal with those same allergies last night and for most of the past month.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Niang only 7 FG attempts. Gave up 18 rebounds. Lost the turnover battle. Gave up 34 pts and 22 pts to two bench players. Morris only 4 assists to 4 turnovers. Refs not doing their job etc.

Yet another game where we shoot over 50% and lose. Prohm needs to get his head out of his arse and teach boxing out.

You think he hasn't? Not sure why people are quick to jump on Prohm when it's clear the seniors DGAF what he is saying half the time.
Remember when Monte blew off Prohm when he wanted a timeout only to miss the game-tying shot? yeah.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
You think he hasn't? Not sure why people are quick to jump on Prohm when it's clear the seniors DGAF what he is saying half the time.
Remember when Monte blew off Prohm when he wanted a timeout only to miss the game-tying shot? yeah.
Exactly this. Our poor defense doesn't mean Prohm isn't coaching it. There is a lot of it that are just basics. Some of these players refuse to buy in and it only hurts themselves.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008

We have also beat Iowa, KU, and OU. Solid wins against Texas, Texas Tech, Colorado. Despite the losses, we have some of the better wins than any other team in the country. We definitely arent great but we can beat anyone on any given night and considering how weak college basketball is as a whole this year i think we can still make a run as no team is truly dominate.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
Exactly this. Our poor defense doesn't mean Prohm isn't coaching it. There is a lot of it that are just basics. Some of these players refuse to buy in and it only hurts themselves.

I agree this has a lot to do with it. Prohm let the players have free rein at the beginning. He asked for defensive effort, and for the most part was getting it. We noticed that at the beginning of the year. Now we don't have a go-to guy for boards like we've had in the past, and it's haunting us (offensive rebounds have killed us this year).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron