ISU wearing all white unis Friday

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Question regarding changing helmets...

I know they do this in college/NFL often. It can be painful and cause headaches breaking in a helmet (and getting used to wearing one again) - do they just take the inside of the helmet and transfer it or do they wear these so lose in college/NFL it's not an issue?

Always wondered that too. It takes awhile to get used to a helmet and chinstrap - unless they are using the same 'insides' same chinstrap, it would suck changing helmets. And isn't there a potential safety issue with using a different helmet?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I know they do this in college/NFL often. It can be painful and cause headaches breaking in a helmet (and getting used to wearing one again) - do they just take the inside of the helmet and transfer it or do they wear these so lose in college/NFL it's not an issue?

Good question. I'd imagine they either switch out the insides or that the adrenaline of the game cancels out the discomfort. I imagine they keep the same helmet for practice to avoid the discomfort, but I imagine they don't notice the discomfort during the game.

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
Great thought. I would side with changing helmet's can get uncomfortable. Cracked a evolution helmet in high school mid-game and had to get a different one quick. Very, very uncomfortable.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I've stayed out of this since this announcement but I think I should say something because I have been vocal about this in the past.

When the select the helmet logo poll came out years ago and it was on a white helmet I emailed Jamie and said I didn't like the white helmet. He commented that he had gotten a lot of such feedback and the message was received. He assured me the helmets would not be white.

When the pic was leaked of the equipment room white helmet I said it isn't one of our school colors and I thought we should stick to the school colors.

But now when we find out that we are going to have the team all in white, I think it should be topped off with a white helmet.

By the way, I like the all white away uniform for a special alternate but I'm also glad it isn't our standard away uniform. I've always thought it looked bad on Texas. Some love it, but I don't.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
By the way, I like the all white away uniform for a special alternate but I'm also glad it isn't our standard away uniform. I've always thought it looked bad on Texas. Some love it, but I don't.

Personally, I think the all white Texas uniform is the best in college sports....

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
Personally, I think the all white Texas uniform is the best in college sports....

Respectfully disagree and I think that Penn States all whites are the best and that should be the only jersey that they are allowed to wear. I also haven't read every post in this thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned but this look will resemble Oklahoma's away jerseys.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Fair enough - I may be in the minority. But does anyone else think they look more ready to play cricket than football?

Last edited:

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Horrible. Just awful.

Enough with the gold jersey crowd. Our gold football jerseys last year against Mizzou were terrible, same wearing all gold in home basketball games.
I agree with you on the football gold, I like them for basketball.

I thought the gold jerseys against Mizzou looked hideous and I'm being kind.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA

The gameday helmets used this year were broken in the first few days of practice and then put on the shelf to be cleaned up and have logos applied. For major programs I believe this is the common practice.

So in short, unless they want to cause these guys pain, we probably won't see white helmets because there was no break-in period. Transferring the inside would probably resort in more work for the equipment guys and isn't likely to happen. Especially on a short week.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The gameday helmets used this year were broken in the first few days of practice and then put on the shelf to be cleaned up and have logos applied. For major programs I believe this is the common practice.

So in short, unless they want to cause these guys pain, we probably won't see white helmets because there was no break-in period. Transferring the inside would probably resort in more work for the equipment guys and isn't likely to happen. Especially on a short week.

Unless the original white helmet pic was from when the guys were breaking them in... :yes:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Don't be so unimaginitive. There is a quite simple fix.

It could be messy if it rains.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Would be so sick...

scaled.php

Thanks to @EricKyleBob for those on Twitter.
THAT IS EFFING SWEEET

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
If we added a second (white) helmet color, if my math is correct, that would give us 18 possible uniform combinations.

Last edited:

ISUcy08

Dec 22, 2008
Unless the original white helmet pic was from when the guys were breaking them in... :yes:
I know for a FACT there was only ONE white helmet made. And it was a made for fun just to show on Twitter. There is no white helmet on Friday!

Is there a cybookie for this yet? I would love to double my credits! :biggrin:

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
After watching the game last night, I think our normal road unis with red pants are better, and I don't think it's even close.

Now, maybe white helmets would change my mind. But if we are sticking with the red helmets, better stick with the red pants as well.

If we do break out the gold unis again at some point this season, I think those might look better with the white pants though. Maybe.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
After watching the game last night, I think our normal road unis with red pants are better, and I don't think it's even close.

Now, maybe white helmets would change my mind. But if we are sticking with the red helmets, better stick with the red pants as well.

Agreed. All white with white helmets or stick with the cardinal pants.

Help Support Us

Become a patron