ISU vs. EA Sports Discussion

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Just keep in mind that we're one play away from losing our first exhibition game! FIRE G-MAC! RAH!! :angry6wn: :angry6wn:

Just kidding. What can I say about the game? I fully expected the team to struggle, and during the game I expected the team to lose. What a clutch win, however. Was that Dodie Dunson making the three at the end of the game? Not a bad shot for a true freshman.

Hilton Magic is not back yet, but it definitely showed at the end of that game. It'll take an upset or two for the pride to return, but this is definitely progress. I don't think I've yelled that loud at a basketball game since the 2004-05 season.

The new scoreboard and video ring took my breath away when I first got in the arena. Money well spent, IMO.

I loved G-Mac yelling at the players during the game. He's the antithesis to Danny boy, that's for sure. Even during the media conference before the game, Greg admitted that the team wasn't ready to play, and that it'll take a game to smooth out the last bit of the wrinkles.

The first portion of the game was very shaky, but if we played like we did for the rest of the game, there's no doubt we would've won by 10.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
G-Mac has a huge presence out there, doesn't he, Airwalke? I was kind of surprised he didn't get called on being out on the court so much - you can tell he's really into every play.

mbecker

Apr 11, 2006
What an amazing finish! That was the most fun I've had at an ISU basketball game since I've been enrolled here. It was great watching GMAC yell at the players and give them guidance. A huge contrast from someone else I know. Also, I was impressed with the agressiveness of Wesley! Not one part of me misses Taggart now. They can only improve from here!

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
Just keep in mind that we're one play away from losing our first exhibition game! FIRE G-MAC! RAH!! :angry6wn: :angry6wn:
Just kidding.

You beat me to it! I'm so used to all the "Fire Mac" banter it was just instinct. Definitely nice for a young bunch of guys to get off on the right foot and have something to build on. Hopefully the shooting will come around, but should be a fun season!

zdorr40

Apr 3, 2006
Des Moines
Visit site
I've gotta think we can win just as many league games as last yr (6).

I saw great effort on the defensive end in many instances. The perimeter D is a little shaky, but the freshman were very impressive. Wesley is gonna be a stud. Cory Johnson didn't back down to that massive oaf that EA put out there. Dodie took a couple of questionable shots down the stretch, but had 14 points. That was the biggest surprise IMO. Also, Cory McIntosh doesn't hit a shot all game, then hits a clutch 3 in the waning moments, followed by Rahshon's 3. Cory Mac didn't go 37-0 last year for nothing.

We're gonna miss Jiri against Minnesota.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Hilton Magic is not back yet, but it definitely showed at the end of that game. It'll take an upset or two for the pride to return, but this is definitely progress. I don't think I've yelled that loud at a basketball game since the 2004-05 season.

I loved G-Mac yelling at the players during the game. He's the antithesis to Danny boy, that's for sure. Even during the media conference before the game, Greg admitted that the team wasn't ready to play, and that it'll take a game to smooth out the last bit of the wrinkles.

Damn...you're making me cuss at myself for not going. I must be jonesing pretty bad cause I'm trying to score some ticks to the Wayne St game.

clones11

Apr 2, 2006
Marion
i was impressed defensively the offense was a little shakey mainly do to the fact that they have only been in the system for 2 weeks now. Im sure it will come around. besides that the effort going after rebounds and loose balls really gets me excited for the future of ISU basketball

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL
One of the things that impressed me most tonight was how well we employed our new man defense - hedging at the right times, getting back to our man in good fashion, and kept a LOT of ball handlers from penetrating. Going to be very useful once conference play rolls around.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Cyclones.com said it was Rashon who made that clutch 3-pointer at the end of the game. I was too busy, you know, picking my eyes from off the ground to take a note of who it was.

cojo

Mar 30, 2006
McIntosh & then Clark both hit clutch, CLUTCH threes. Fun game to watch, gotta say. For the first time they've all played together against an unknown opponent, they did pretty well. And held when they needed to. Look forward to the excitement coming back to Hilton. Keep cheering everybody - and Cyclone Alley, like what you're doing.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
A coach that actually will coach his team in the game? It was...very confusing. He rarely...sat down! *gasp*

Congrats on your first "win" G-Mac - I hope you have many, many more.

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
Just incase anybody wanted to know... Here's what EA/Global did the past 2 nights.
For the second straight year EA Sports came into the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum and handed Utah State a rare home loss. The collection of former college stars led for most of the game and withstood a late Aggie run for a 67-60 win. The defeat, however, won’t go against USU’s incredible home record (127-11 over the past nine seasons)

Preseason all-MVC selection Anthony Tolliver had 24 points, eight rebounds and a pair of game-winning free throws with 20 seconds left in overtime, lifting Creighton past EA Sports, 80-76, in overtime action on Thursday night. Tolliver also blocked a potential game-winning three-pointer with less than five seconds on the clock to seal the exhibition game win. Creighton, the preseason favorites in the Missouri Valley Conference and a team ranked 23rd in the USA Today/ESPN

sharon

Jun 18, 2006
CAN ANYONE ANSWER MY QUESTION, WHY DID HUBALEK PLAY, THOUGHT HE WAS SUPPENDED BY THE NCAA TILL UNI GAME, AND WHY WAS A NON IOWA KID WEARING THE NUMBER 3 JURSEY? ISNT AN IOWA KID SUPPOSE TO WEAR THAT NUMBER IN HONOR OF BRIAN PIERSON?

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Hubalek's suspension does not apply to exhibition games, and the Pearson thing was strange to me as well. Seems like Jacobson would be the natural choice to don that number.

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL
Settle down now sharon -

1st off, Corey wears #3 because that's what he wore the past two years at fullerton in california. The brain pierson debate is up for grabs, but i'm sure that corey requested it for his number. As for juri, he has been suspended for 6 regular season games. He is allowed to play in the two exhibition games.

EDIT: my bad - crosscyed already covered the hubalek part of the q. sorry.:eek:o7dt:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
So far, so good! As others have pointed out, how refreshing to see tough defense, active gametime coaching and teaching, and the hints of organized offense.

I found GMac's postgame comment interesting regarding ISU's reluctance to pass the ball inside. Even with all the player turnaround, that vestige of last year is still present. I'm sure GMac will deal with it. Like he said, good things happen when the ball get's passed inside, and he's been primarily concerned about defense up to this point...

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
In his debut, McDermott's team played flawlessly in the final minute of a 58-57 exhibition win over EA Sports before an announced crowd of 13,143

Quote from the rag this morning. No way were that many people there. Maybe half of that number was in the building.

Help Support Us

Become a patron