ISU-UNI POST game thread

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
This is getting out of hand.

I can't believe people are already labeling Chizik as a bad coach. No matter how you want to spin it, Chizik didn't fumble a punt to give UNI the ball on our 15, Chizik didn't throw two interceptions at the UNI 30 yard-line, and Chizik didn't fumble the ball on the UNI 22. The man's been on the job for what, eight months? You've seen two games, it's a little early to judge his coaching ability.

You CAN NOT turn the ball over four times and expect to win a football game. Period.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
So did anybody get to see how well Iowa played? I kept track of the score while at the ISU game but I didn't know if Iowa was really doing that well or if Syracuse was doing that bad. I'm terrified to think of Young running for 400 next weekend.

Iowa didn't look like world-beaters by any stretch. Syracuse is indeed just that bad. Honestly, us against Syracuse would be a good game. Nobody will want to think this at this time, but Iowa is beatable. They have weeknesses and we just have to put forth a game plan to take advantage of these.

The biggest task for the coaching staff is getting the players to look forward. They will be up for Iowa. They don't want to lay an egg in our house against the pukeyes. They need to take the beating they've had the last two weeks, push it off, and focus ahead.

I hope.

Apr 14, 2006
Seems to me that these are just excuses. Hanging on to the ball is part talent, part coaching. Same with everything else. If we had just lost two games to OK and Texas it would be a different story. Seems to me that their coaches have our number with their calls...

Apr 14, 2006
Am I the only crazy one that thinks that ISU can win next weekend? Time for some no-huddle offense, reverses, and whatever else will shake up the game...

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL
just to interupt all the seriousness on the board - on a lighter note - tyrone mckenzie just recovered a fumble for usf on espn2 vs auburn.... :)

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Anyone calling for Chizik's head right now doesn't know what they are talking about...two games with McCarney's players he's had, and deserves a hell of a lot longer than that. Both games were winnable but the fact is we just aren't a good team that can afford to make many mistakes, like we have the first two weeks...we lost tonight because we turned the ball over four times and UNI didn't turn it over once. Chizik didn't make one of those turnovers. I'm not going to sit here and say Chizik is an amazing coach, but I'm also not going to call for his head...he's been here for TWO GAMES...TWO GAMES people. Save your judgement until the guy has had a chance...tonight was a bad, bad loss, but come on...

bandit

Apr 21, 2006
Do people realize that we're still using almost all of Mac's guys and he may have coached them up but we still barely beet UNI last year. This isn't a one-man sport, football takes a lot of good players at the same time to pull out wins. You could have Montana as QB and we'd still probably lose this game because of all the other players that have to step up. Anybody seriously dissapointed in Chizik needs to watch these games in person and then start being pissed at Meyer and a few of the other "big" players.

I don't care whose recruits you have, you don't lose to UNI at home period. Cry about Mac's players all you want, Mac never lost to UNI and he was left a team that had about a third the talent that GC inherited.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
So did anybody get to see how well Iowa played? I kept track of the score while at the ISU game but I didn't know if Iowa was really doing that well or if Syracuse was doing that bad. I'm terrified to think of Young running for 400 next weekend.

A combination of Iowa improving from last week and Syracuse not being very good. Iowa defense played well again. Don't know what the final stats were but at halftime they hadn't given up a 1st down and only 2 yards. Christiansen looked more poised this week but still had some passes off the mark. Not as many drops though so the receivers helped him this week. Looked like they were focusing on establishing the pass game. Moeaki with 3 TDs.

Iowa's defensive front is going to cause the offense lots of trouble next week.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I'm not saying Chizik is the next hall of famer, he has a lot of unknowns, BUT I've seen things that he's doing behind the scenes and I can tell you we have a bright future. Not only do the local supporters know what he's trying to do is going to pay off, so do the national pundits that have some incredibly high remarks about him.

The staff did call some great plays, the players didn't execute. I don't know if you guys want Gene out there on the field throwing, catching, tackling, kicking, etc but the guy can't do everything and this loss was the fault of the players, not the coaches.

You want a head on a stick, start looking at those that played the game and not those that are at least trying to shake things up a bit. We came out with some new plays and tried some new things but the team on the field couldn't get it done for numerous reasons. I'm not trying to single players out but damnit people need to open their eyes and stop calling for Chizik's head like ******* babies that got their blankie taken. There's a reason these games are played and you can't expect miracles with the same players. Give him 3-4 years and then start calling for heads.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Oh believe me, it was incredibly hard seeing UNI fans rush our field, it felt beyond bad. BUT I also realize that things take time and we really are not a good team. We should have both games but we didn't. Part of that may be coaching but regardless of what's done on the sidelines, these guys should never look that bad on the field. If you think catching a ball is part coaching, you've never tried catching a ball. I don't need Gene yelling in my ear as the ball's in the air to know how to catch a damn ball. That's not coaching, that's a talent you either have or you don't.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
I don't buy the lack of talent argument. To play against Kent State and UNI, ISU has plenty of talent. How long do you think that it will take Chizik to get a win? Maybe the guy just isn't a good play caller. Maybe in 2009 we can slip Ankeney HS in so Chizik can get a W. I really hope that I'm wrong about this guy. I was thinking that the discipline and hard training would make a difference: I was wrong.

If not Chizik, then who would you think would take ISU to the promise land as fast as you're expecting?

Whether you believe it or not at this point Chizik knows the game and he'll know how to win....we just need to give him a chance. If we have this same conversation in 3 or 4 years...then you might have a point.

ajjohnson

Sep 25, 2006
Re: Okay, ISU sucks

I think that saying that they suck is putting it nicely. I will be here, taking this beating all season. Chizik needs to go. I'm sorry.

STUPIDEST. POST. EVER. :yes:

You remind me of the Iowa fans who wanted Ferentz gone after his 1-10 first season. :chatterbox: :chatterbox:

Apr 14, 2006
I don't know about that. A coach should always be on the hot seat, especially at 7 figures. One thing is for sure, everyone wants ISU to win. ISU could hire a coach for 30k per year and have a better season in almost every situation. This is a coach who has a QB and wide receiver who have already tasted success at Iowa State. Hopefully, he will take this as a wakeup call and try harder to turn the season around. From what I can tell, there was little improvement from week 1 to 2. Where is the urgency?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Let me ask this, what did people really expect this year? We have pretty much the same players that did nothing last year, a completely new staff with very little experience with the players they're trying to coach, a tough schedule against a veteran UNI team (regardless of their stature), a QB that hasn't made a good decision in over a year and no experience at so many positions.

If you expected us to be able to compete with everybody, you drank way too much kool-aid or smoked way too much weed. This isn't about coaching, this is about giving a guy a chance to at least have a couple recruiting classes under his belt, a few games to see what his players can actually do and to have fans that support their team instead of booing like Hawkeye babies.

Howie3310

Mar 10, 2007
Let me ask this, what did people really expect this year? We have pretty much the same players that did nothing last year, a completely new staff with very little experience with the players they're trying to coach, a tough schedule against a veteran UNI team (regardless of their stature), a QB that hasn't made a good decision in over a year and no experience at so many positions.

If you expected us to be able to compete with everybody, you drank way too much kool-aid or smoked way too much weed. This isn't about coaching, this is about giving a guy a chance to at least have a couple recruiting classes under his belt, a few games to see what his players can actually do and to have fans that support their team instead of booing like Hawkeye babies.

I'm a realist...and I expected our record to be at least 3-9 or 4-8

But now, maybe 2-10.

dschlitter

Apr 11, 2006
Mason City
I do agree that a coach making 7 figures deserves to be pushed to put a respectable product on the field, I just don't think we should call for his head after two games. If after three years we are still in the same boat I think you can rest assure Pollard will take care of the problem. I say three years because that is when Chizik's first class will be juniors.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
This is a coach who has a QB and wide receiver who have already tasted success at Iowa State.

That QB that has tasted success was pulled from the game to the cheers of the crowd. I wouldn't list him as an asset... atleast not for us. :confused:

That QB also ended our last ****ing drive down the field, when after 80 yards pressure comes and he throws the F***ING ball to a place where we had NO recievers, giving UNI the interception to all but officially end the ****ing game

EDIT: Bret Meyer is not exactly my favorite person right now... if you all couldn't tell

Last edited:
C

Cyclone42

Anyone should have seen this coming

After the near-loss to UNI last year, I predicted this loss several times over on the free Rivals board (before they shut it down). It was an easy prediction after looking at what we lost vs what they lost from last year to this year. We lost most of our offense and a number of key defensive players, while their losses (especially on offense) were much less.

IT IS NOT THE COACHES.

I think the people who are blaming Chizik are pretty brainless people who simple do not fully comprehend just how bad of a recruiter Danny-boy McCarney really was. He lest us with a team almost completely devoid of talent.

We came extremely close to a zero-win season last year. That should have clued people in to just how bad the team was to become.

IT IS DAN MCCARNEY'S FAULT

He was our coach for 12 years. He got EVERYTHING he asked for in terms of facilities upgrades and such. Yet he did not fulfill his side of the bargain. He did not recruit winning talent and he did not WIN.

II love beating this dead horse, and I will continue to beat it. Danny-boy blamed Jim Walden for all of his problems for several years after he was gone. Guess what: what goes around comes around.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron