ISU to the Big10?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I am fairly sure that JP's broadside shot last week at the Big Ten Network is a solid indication there is no way we get a Big 10 invite. If there was even a 1% chance, he would not have taken that jab.

That's interesting, ADJP being previously from the Big Ten and all. I'm wondering if that shot came because ISU inquired about joining and was given a rather rude reply.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
I am fairly sure that JP's broadside shot last week at the Big Ten Network is a solid indication there is no way we get a Big 10 invite. If there was even a 1% chance, he would not have taken that jab.

What did he say about the Big 10 Network?

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
What did he say about the Big 10 Network?

From the DSM RAG:

Iowa State’s Pollard told the crowd at the Thursday meeting he attended that the Big Ten Network altered the financial landscape of college sports and set the stage for conference realignment.

“The Big Ten Network completely changed the television industry,†said Pollard, who contended that the notion Iowa receives no subsidies is “hogwash.†“Anybody who’s got cable or DirecTV, you’re paying the Big Ten. Whether you’re an Iowa State fan, a UNI fan or a Drake fan, you’re paying Iowa a big chunk of money.â€

The Big Ten Network, launched in 2007, reaches 73 million households and is available in 19 of the nation’s top 20 media markets. Its primary revenue source is cable subscriptions, with companies paying the network a set fee per subscriber.

“Within the Big Ten footprint, there are 22 or 23 million homes,†Pollard said. “And the formula for cable is, every month, you guys are giving the Big Ten about 75 cents of your cable bill.

“When you multiply that by all the households, it adds up pretty quick.â€

Pollard explained his thoughts on how the network succeeded when the country entered an economic downturn.

“They maybe stopped going to the games, but most people didn’t drop their cable or DirecTV,†Pollard said. “So in some ways that model was a little recession-proof, because it didn’t get hit by the car dealers pulling out of advertising.â€

As a result, Pollard says Big Ten members receive much more TV money than Big 12 programs.

“They pulled away significantly,†Pollard said. “So the difference between Iowa State getting $3.5 million and $5 million is no longer the issue. The issue is Indiana getting $20 million and Texas is getting $5 million.â€

When the Southeastern Conference considered starting its own network, ESPN increased the amount of money it was paying to air games.

In 2008, the SEC and ESPN agreed to a 15-year deal reportedly worth more than $2 billion.

“During the last three or four years, it’s caused a lot of angst within our membership,†Pollard said. “Because it’s one thing for Texas to get beat by Oklahoma in something. It’s another if Indiana or Mississippi or Mississippi State can outbid a Texas because they’re getting $10 million more a year in television, just by being a member of one of those leagues.

“That kind of forced some of the issues.â€

Link: Questions, concerns for Iowa State, Big 12 grow more ominous | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
Seems to me like several factual statements. I'm not sure I would consider that to be a "shot" at the network, he is just speaking candidly.

farmerbrent

Feb 29, 2008
I actually have the cheapest Direct TV package which does not get Big Ten network. If ISU was in the Big 10, I would definately upgrade. But I'm just one man. Just one man. Point is there are a few TV's that would sign up for ISU joining the Big Ten. A very few. But a few non the less.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The Big X bullied DirecTV into all or nothing on carrying their network.
If college sports fans outside the Big X committed to dropping DirecTV
unless the channel becomes optional the Big X would take a huge hit.

I did't know the basic package didn't have their network.

farmerbrent

Feb 29, 2008
The Big X bullied DirecTV into all or nothing on carrying their network.
If college sports fans outside the Big X committed to dropping DirecTV
unless the channel becomes optional the Big X would take a huge hit.

I did't know the basic package didn't have their network.

I don't get it. Maybe I need to be making a phone call to Direct TV. (not that there is anything I want to watch on that channel)

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I don't get it. Maybe I need to be making a phone call to Direct TV. (not that there is anything I want to watch on that channel)

We have choice plus and get B-10.(ch. 610)
My Folks have just choice and they get it as well but they don't get WGN.
Is there a package below choice?