ISU Gambling Megathread

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Let’s just keep it simple:

If you are an athlete playing at any level, don’t place bets on any sporting event.

If you are not an athlete playing at any level, just be at least 21 years old to bet on a sporting event

If you are gambling large sums of money and feel the need to gamble some more to cover your losses, seek some help.

Gambling should be viewed as a form of entertainment. Don’t bet thinking you’ll strike it rich. Make a bet with the assumption that the money is gone, much like paying for a movie ticket.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The biggest issue with Dekkers could be underage gambling or using someone else's account. It says he bet on the ISU/OSU game in 2021, well his birthdate is July 4, 2001 meaning he'd only be 20 years old in 2021. His lawyer is not denying he gambled but if they have evidence he was placing bets while he was under 21 that is illegal no matter how you spin it and is a criminal issue at that point so doesn't matter what the NCAA penalties would be.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Well, the people that always complain that ISU doesn't get enough mainstream media attention are finally getting their wish.

mock-dur.gif

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
So are you taking bets on this and if so what odds are you giving? :) Might as well have action on this action, seems reasonable.

I'm not taking bets, I am just citing Iowa Code. So far no one has cited an Iowa Code section that contradicts my post, which I would be happy to see.

Reactions: carvers4math

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
The biggest issue with Dekkers could be underage gambling or using someone else's account. It says he bet on the ISU/OSU game in 2021, well his birthdate is July 4, 2001 meaning he's only be 20 years old in 2021. His lawyer is not denying he gambled but if they have evidence he was placing bets while he was under 21 that is illegal no matter how you spin it and is a criminal issue at that point so doesn't matter what the NCAA penalties would be.

It's a $645 fine, let's quit acting like it's a 20 year prison sentence.

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
I still believe CMC isn’t going to allow any players involved in this gambling thing to remain on the team, but maybe that’s just wishful thinking on my part?

I’d like to see him clean house and move on from this.
If a player bet on some NBA games or something do they really deserved to be kicked off the team?

Reactions: VeloClone

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It's a $645 fine, let's quit acting like it's a 20 year prison sentence.

I didn't imply it was but still just a stupid thing for someone to do when you aren't of legal age to gamble, aren't supposed to gamble period as part of the rules you are to abide by as a NCAA athlete, and betting on a game your team is playing in are all just poor decisions. Now he will have to face the consequences of those poor choices which likely is going to end his NCAA eligibility.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Does the criminal complaint against Uwazurike indicate that the gambling that he is trying to cover up occurred while he was at ISU?

This isn't looking good...it seems that this is heading towards an NCAA compliance investigation of some kind at ISU.
Undoubtedly something that started with meaningless Hawk baseball will send Cyclone football back to the post Criner era

VoiceOfReason

Aug 21, 2016
To be completely honest, I am having a hard time drumming up too much excitement in my bones about this, either way.

It's a huge bummer that Dekkers threw away his career to bet on $10 on games where he probably wasn't even winning at a ridiculous clip. It's pretty wild that his parents seemingly encouraged him, or at the very least helped him get the account setup and access it while he was playing. It's just a series of really bad decisions from people that are a special combination of ignorant, arrogant, and/or delusional.

That being said, I don't think any of us were thrilled to watch another season of ISU football with Dekkers at the helm. He was a major part of the last-place Big 12 finish last season. Also, I am not personally sold on CMC. Whether you agree with me or not, you can't deny that it seem like we're staring down the barrel of back-to-back last-place Big 12 finishes in years seven and eight of Campbell's tenure unless a lot of guys really step up.

I guess I just hoped we'd be in a better spot right now. If you had told me after the Fiesta Bowl win that in just two years, ISU would likely be heading towards back-to-back seasons under five wins after a disappointing end to Purdy and Hall's careers (despite them both looking great and getting opportunities in the NFL) in the midst of a major scandal involving the starting QB, I would not be surprised because it's Iowa State, but I would certainly be devastated.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Does the criminal complaint against Uwazurike indicate that the gambling that he is trying to cover up occurred while he was at ISU?

This isn't looking good...it seems that this is heading towards an NCAA compliance investigation of some kind at ISU.
Yes, same as the others.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
If a player bet on some NBA games or something do they really deserved to be kicked off the team?

As of right now yeah they do, the rules are really clear not gambling is a base job responsibility for a college athlete at this time. All jobs have a minimum responsibility level that if you don't meet it you get let go.

Should the rules be looked at and modified probably, but until then that's the breaks.

• Agree
Reactions: ISULibrarian

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
As of right now yeah they do, the rules are really clear not gambling is a base job responsibility for a college athlete at this time. All jobs have a minimum responsibility level that if you don't meet it you get let go.

Should the rules be looked at and modified probably, but until then that's the breaks.
Right now if a football player placed 15 $5 bets on NBA they wouldn't receive any suspension whatsoever.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I don't think this means ISU is in trouble in any way..you can't control what the kids do. Individual punishments sure, but the ISU AD or football program didn't do anything wrong
I'm sure Iowa State is fine. They've got documentation of gambling training and everybody involved signed off on the student athlete handbook that expressly says you can't gamble as well. Iowa State took every reasonable and required action. This is on the knuckleheads that ignored it.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I've seen college wrestling accounts posting on twitter that this number is completely fabricated and inaccurate. According to these accounts, the university is "furious" at the DMR for publishing such fake numbers. Who knows what real and what's not in this situation I guess.

I doubt very much the number is made up or fabricated but it is very likely misunderstood. He didn't wager 45,000 on any one game, he didn't lose 45,000. He didn't put in $45,000 in cash.

Theoretically he could have started with $100 and have never put any more money in and still have wagered the $45,000 total aggregate bets.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I don't think this means ISU is in trouble in any way..you can't control what the kids do. Individual punishments sure, but the ISU AD or football program didn't do anything wrong

I don't think the tampering should have been charged at all. If the concern is under age wagering, then roll with the potential charges under that section.

• Disagree
Reactions: BigCyFan

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I don't think the tampering should have been charged at all. If the concern is under age wagering, then roll with the potential charges under that section.

Based on what? If they tried to cover it up and say it was the mom when it was him, that’s tampering.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron