ISU Gambling Megathread

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Strongly feel we’re better long-term for not having Dekkers at QB this year…and perhaps already this year. He certainly has physical gifts, but he’s lacking in all the things that made Brock so great.
Exactly. It's almost like character and leadership matter at the QB position.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Even if you don't have aspirations beyond the college level, and especially if you do, you cannot be that stupid. I have no doubt that the team as well as the university makes this point over and over in discussions with their athletes.

I hope the punishments are reasonable, as I think it's just a matter of being a young guy who made a really stupid mistake. I would imagine that he's done here though.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
At the gym this morning. Nice to see Dekkers dumb ass and a big I State logo up on the tv playing ESPN.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
I'd probably have a different stance on this whole mess if any of those involved would just stand up and say, "Yes, I did it." The statement from Dekkers' lawyer was just sad. I know I've made mistakes, things never got better when I dug in and refused to own them...

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
You can't fire me! I resign! This is the first thing in this whole ****** up mess that made me laugh.

"So he can focus on his studies and on the defense of this criminal charge, Hunter has informed the University and the coaching staff that he cannot participate in fall football camp."
Well, to be fair, his studies and getting a degree are are a lot more important to his future now….

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I still believe CMC isn’t going to allow any players involved in this gambling thing to remain on the team, but maybe that’s just wishful thinking on my part?

I’d like to see him clean house and move on from this.
Same.

Dekkers wasn't looking to be the answer before all this anyway. He mad poor decisions on the field and he clearly didn't inspire or lead.

Perfect year to clean house and we can all chalk up a poor year to any next new QB learning the ropes.

ajspatio19

Jun 9, 2020
Ankeny
So Paniro’s dad was (or is) in prison. His mom raised him and his siblings and didn’t have much.
Where did he get $45,000?
I've seen college wrestling accounts posting on twitter that this number is completely fabricated and inaccurate. According to these accounts, the university is "furious" at the DMR for publishing such fake numbers. Who knows what real and what's not in this situation I guess.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
My initial response to reading the ESPN article was that I'm surprised this hasn't been challenged on a legal basis. This, of course, san betting on games you're involved in. The fundamental reason being that most states have legalized gambling (including Iowa), most states have a lottery (which is a form of gambling) which is encourage, and without direct correlation of knowledge pertaining to your sport, I can't see the downside. In fact, it'd be more likely to even the books having inside 'knowledge' betting on the truth. It's almost like the states are the 'pushers'. But, then again, when I lost all my pennies in 6th grade in poker, I never gambled again. So, what do I know.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I still believe CMC isn’t going to allow any players involved in this gambling thing to remain on the team, but maybe that’s just wishful thinking on my part?

I’d like to see him clean house and move on from this.
I could see all the guys having to use flip phones moving forward, lol.

• Funny
Reactions: bozclone

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Enyi is the most disappointing. One of the great success stories, and now it may all be gone.
Exactly.....like all things....choices and consequences. I know that for some this stuff can be addictive behavior....but also have to understand for your individual situation risks

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
Iowa Code says underage gambling is a fine of $645.
Iowa Code says the person ALLOWing an underage person to make illegal bets is a simple misdemeanor.

So Hunter should be fined $645 and his mom get a simple misdemeanor. Seems DCI blew this out of proportion.

So are you taking bets on this and if so what odds are you giving? :) Might as well have action on this action, seems reasonable.

• Haha
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

VoiceOfReason

Aug 21, 2016
At the gym this morning. Nice to see Dekkers dumb ass and a big I State logo up on the tv playing ESPN.
Well, the people that always complain that ISU doesn't get enough mainstream media attention are finally getting their wish.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Does the criminal complaint against Uwazurike indicate that the gambling that he is trying to cover up occurred while he was at ISU?

This isn't looking good...it seems that this is heading towards an NCAA compliance investigation of some kind at ISU.

• Disagree
Reactions: werdnamanhill

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
My initial response to reading the ESPN article was that I'm surprised this hasn't been challenged on a legal basis. This, of course, san betting on games you're involved in. The fundamental reason being that most states have legalized gambling (including Iowa), most states have a lottery (which is a form of gambling) which is encourage, and without direct correlation of knowledge pertaining to your sport, I can't see the downside. In fact, it'd be more likely to even the books having inside 'knowledge' betting on the truth. It's almost like the states are the 'pushers'. But, then again, when I lost all my pennies in 6th grade in poker, I never gambled again. So, what do I know.

* If you take away the betting on your own games thing, underage betting is the big thing here. It’s illegal to gamble if you’re under 21.

* We also have the added factor of tampering with the system to allow an underage bettor to impersonate someone older in order to place bets; also seriously illegal.

* College students 21 or older using betting apps is fine, no legal challenge required.

* NCAA/institutional rules regarding gambling by athletes or those connected to the athletic program aren’t “laws” where you’re subject to jail time/prosecution. They can revoke your eligibility or kick you off the team. Could you challenge that in court? I guess, you can pretty much sue anybody for anything if you’re willing to pay a lawyer.