ISU Football History in One Chart

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
While I would tend to agree that McCarney could never get the offense and defense linked up, I think 2005 is a bad example. I would call 2005 a lack of killer instinct on offense. 2005 was a result of playing not to lose instead of playing to rip the soul out of our opponents when we had the chance.

And we needed to capitalize on only 1 of 4 rip-out-the-soul opportunities to win the division. Just one.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
In the 1980s, we were so much physically smaller than the best teams in the conference. We had no chance in most of those games. CMC has changed that.

Reactions: CYTUTT

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
Interesting chart on ESPN+ regarding ISU football history.

We are living in historical times! Love to hear the thoughts of old-timers that have been a fan through these periods.

View attachment 86884

2 - When Majors left for Pitt (where he'd win a national title), Earle Bruce took things even further, producing three eight-win seasons and ISU's first ranked finish.

Yes, we are living in "historical times" and we haven't even hit the 10 year averages shown between 75 & 80 yet. It may be hard for some fans to realize how consistent ISU was back then.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Interesting chart on ESPN+ regarding ISU football history.

We are living in historical times! Love to hear the thoughts of old-timers that have been a fan through these periods.

View attachment 86884

1- ISU was at an all-time low when Johnny Majors arrived in 1968. He had them in their first bowl just three years later.

2 - When Majors left for Pitt (where he'd win a national title), Earle Bruce took things even further, producing three eight-win seasons and ISU's first ranked finish.

3 - ISU wasn't very memorable in the 1980s and 1990s, but the Davis brothers were. Troy rushed for 4,195 yards in 1995-96, then Darren rushed for 3,559 from 1997 to '99.

4 - After winning 13 games in his first five years, Dan McCarney engineered a 9-3 season in 2000, then nearly won Big 12 North titles in 2004-05. Then everything collapsed again.

5 - The Cyclones' current trajectory is almost unprecedented. ISU hasn't won a conference title since 1912, and there might never be a better chance to end that incredible streak.
There I am. Freshman 1964.

Reactions: nrg4isu

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
That was most of Mac's tenure, though, not just 2005.
This is my overall emotional baggage from those years.

Get a lead. Try to hang on. 3 and outs on offense. Opponent scores near the end of the game. ISU tries desperation moves to score but in the end folds like broken card table. Disappointment.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I wish Steve Loney would have stayed with Mac. That guy could really coach.
He left for Minny because he thought Mac was getting canned and knew we would never hire from within. So, he left, waiting for Mac to stumble and be fired, but he wasn’t so he came back and then left again. Was told this by a very close friend of his.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
FIFY. Rhoads and McCarney could both coach. Their downfall was the inability to maintain a good continuity of quality assistants. If you look at both of their tenures, they were as good as their staffs were. This seems to be one area that Campbell has figured out.
It was mostly offensive coaches for Rhoads. Wally was a solid defensive coach. Never had a good OC though. Plus, Rhoads was not good at developing players.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
That was most of Mac's tenure, though, not just 2005.

While I tend to agree, 2005 should have been our first 10-win season, and we were hurt most by the playing not to lose in 2005. I honestly believe the outcome of 2005 was what set the stage for his firing near the end of 2006.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Aclone

mark82

Jun 19, 2006
That chart shows how good that 76 team was. 1976 was my introduction to ISU football: Dexter Green, Stensrud, Bosky, McFarland, Luther Blue, Wayne Stanley...

I recall a play where Stensrude tackled the QB and RB simultaneously during a handoff. It was also a team that could actually complete passes (unheard of the the BIG 10). Good times...

mark82

Jun 19, 2006
That chart shows how good that 76 team was. 1976 was my introduction to ISU football: Dexter Green, Stensrud, Bosky, McFarland, Luther Blue, Wayne Stanley...

I recall a play where Stensrude tackled the QB and RB simultaneously during a handoff. It was also a team that could actually complete passes (unheard of the the BIG 10). Good times...
If I remember correctly, they had the #2 offense in the country and didn't go top a bowl game.

loboclone

Aug 8, 2006
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
As a walk-on in 1969, I was amazed with Jonnie Majors. Now with Campbell &Company my dreams are coming true. I was in Stillwater in 1971 when we beat Okie State 58-0 Got the Sun Bowl bid, we thought we had arrived. The job Majors did with the program was great, Bruce was good, Criner was bad.....McCarney well I paid big bucks to say Bye! David Archer is a Clone to the Bone....he is on Cyclones bus. Besides being the Voice of the Atlanta Falcons! Well then comes Rhoads, nice guy but ......moving on we got our guy. I drink the Kool Aid every season.....now I have reason too. I hate the Black uniforms. Go ahead and roast me I am 71 years old. I have 3 ex wives, you can’t hurt me.

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
Interesting.

Hiring the right coach is paramount. Yes, McCarney helped fix the 80's and 90's disaster, (due to poor AD leadership), but it really has taken ISU 40 years to finally hire the RIGHT coach.

It wasn't just the AD. The entire school administration was oblivious to the benefits of what a good football program brings to a university. It really wasn't until Martin Jische that IS allowed investment in football (facilities, coaches, etc.).

Reactions: CYTUTT

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Rhoads ceiling was DC. He doesn't understand offense and meddled too much in it as head coach, in addition to not hiring good assistants. If he had come to ISU as a DC under a decent HC, I think he would have thrived.

I could never understand why Rhoads could never seem to figure out how to recruit and develop Linemen in the middle of Iowa. Probably the most frustrating thing for me about his tenure.

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Here’s a good piece of history.

c4fd2bc0-5790-4cff-bac2-96a7bf2301b1_text.gif

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
We won a conference championship last year whether or not we got a trophy. If there's a regular season and tournament champion in basketball there sure as **** ought to be one in football.

Also, the day that Texas or OU wins the regular season and loses the CCG, I'd bet a hefty sum of $ that the conference starts recognizing regular season titles.

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Interesting.

Hiring the right coach is paramount. Yes, McCarney helped fix the 80's and 90's disaster, (due to poor AD leadership), but it really has taken ISU 40 years to finally hire the RIGHT coach.

I hope Campbell is here until he retires. But if he doesn't, the blueprint for success in hiring is there. Poach an entire coaching staff from somewhere that is budding/showing success, and get them ALL to Ames. Hiring random Asst. Coaches and then they scramble to find coordinators has NOT worked for ISU. No continuity there.
Or do like Nebraska did. Keep the rest of the staff and develop long term continuity. When NU ditched Solich, they screwed up. He just retired after 16 years of success at Ohio.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Ok Rocks, you disagree. How is this different from basketball? Remember how from 2012-2016 what we did would have given us a trophy? All that changed was a money grab/game to placate the CFP Committee.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron