ISU Football Gameday

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I try to get there right at kickoff so I don't have to listen Jeff Johnson barking into the microphone for 10 minutes before kickoff. They need to take that thing away from him. :sad:

haha-

Cccccccc Yyyyyyyyy Cccccccc lllllllllll Oooo nnnnnnn Eee Ssssssss

(with a mouth full of marbles sounding like Fat Albert)

Brutal.... I read that and could actually hear it in my mind.... Then I even threw up in my mouth a bit.....

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I prefer to do these things in unison. I'm always in there for kick off, but I don't see the need to sit in the stadium watching the band, etc, for 45 minutes.

Halftime lasts 20min not 45min. Not worth the effort to get to the parking lot, have a beer, and return. You pretty much need to be drinking the beer while walking back in to make it in time.

Stay in the stadium please.

cyingreen

Nov 13, 2006
Jasper County
"Also, another thing that totally drives me nuts is when the crowd gets up and loud when ISU has a 3rd down but is quiet when the opponets have a 3rd down. Kind of backwards to me "

I can't speak for the rest of the stadium, but for those of us in the first row of Sec. G, right in front of the Madrid Machine, we try to get loud as, ahem, the dickens, when the other team has a 3rd down. We're pretty quiet when our O has a 3rd down, 'cause crossing your fingers and rubbing the rabbits' foot is silent work.
As far as watching pre-game drills and not getting to the stadium for the opening kick-off, that's a matter of personal choice and we should leave it there. I guarantee when the team gets back to winning ways consistently, there will be a lot more interest in the game than the food and drink. We have such a convenient layout for tailgating that it's always tempting to wait for one more round of whatever before heading out to the stadium. As far as Mr. Johnson's cheer leading, better him than me, man.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Halftime lasts 20min not 45min. Not worth the effort to get to the parking lot, have a beer, and return. You pretty much need to be drinking the beer while walking back in to make it in time.

Stay in the stadium please.

Kansas game 2008. I left the stadium to go drink some more beer and guess what.... I wish I wouldn't have come back into the game. Imagine my surprise when I walk back in the gate and get to my seat just in time to see Kansas punch their second TD of the 3rd quarter in and they had only played about 4 minutes..... (actually I wasn't really surprised that much) The only cure to these supposed ills is for the team to make people want to stay. Yes ISU put up a great fight trying to comeback that day but I for one am 100% glad that I missed those first 4 minutes of the second half. Watching that crap makes me sick.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Kansas game 2008. I left the stadium to go drink some more beer and guess what.... I wish I wouldn't have come back into the game. Imagine my surprise when I walk back in the gate and get to my seat just in time to see Kansas punch their second TD of the 3rd quarter in and they had only played about 4 minutes..... (actually I wasn't really surprised that much) The only cure to these supposed ills is for the team to make people want to stay. Yes ISU put up a great fight trying to comeback that day but I for one am 100% glad that I missed those first 4 minutes of the second half. Watching that crap makes me sick.

Perhaps, just perhaps, the team was less than enthused starting the 2nd half because the stadium wasn't as "jacked" and "fired up" at the start of the 2nd half as at the start of the game.

Perhaps, just perhaps, if fans were in their seats at the start of the 2nd half and greeted the team with enthusiasm rather than worrying about finishing one more beer in the parking lot the team would have responded accordingly with the same energy they started the game with and KU would not have scored twice in practically no time.

Just maybe.....

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Perhaps, just perhaps, the team was less than enthused starting the 2nd half because the stadium wasn't as "jacked" and "fired up" at the start of the 2nd half as at the start of the game.

Perhaps, just perhaps, if fans were in their seats at the start of the 2nd half and greeted the team with enthusiasm rather than worrying about finishing one more beer in the parking lot the team would have responded accordingly with the same energy they started the game with and KU would not have scored twice in practically no time.

Just maybe.....

It sure didn't seem to bother them at all at the beginning of the game now did it?

cjclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 22, 2006
One big change over the years is the parking for the games. Reiman gardens, the practice facility, reserved parking that is only half to 1/3 full keeps fans farther away from the facility. Variable game start times also affect ability to get to the games. Tailgating is reaching new art forms all of the time. Distance makes a difference in how soon fans get to the game, especially with young cyclones.

Another difference came when reserved seats came into being for students. Before, when it was first-come first-serve the students were at the game as soon as the gates opened to get a good seat. They were there for warm-ups etc. I personally like to watch the teams warm up, but my wife doesn't.

It is a number of things that contribute to this. Winning or at least being competitive will overcome a lot of this.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Another difference came when reserved seats came into being for students. Before, when it was first-come first-serve the students were at the game as soon as the gates opened to get a good seat. They were there for warm-ups etc. I personally like to watch the teams warm up, but my wife doesn't.
Student is still general admission. We want decent seats so we're always there a half hour or so before the gate opens.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Moving people through the entrance gates would help. East/West gates take forever.

So does the South gate. There were several games we left our tailgate 20-30 minutes before kickoff and we barely made it into the stadium before the game started.

And I'm just happy people still have gone to the games for the last 2 years. Last year's team was absolutely brutal to watch and people still came. I don't blame them for leaving at halftime when we are getting our *** beat with no end in sight.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
So does the South gate. There were several games we left our tailgate 20-30 minutes before kickoff and we barely made it into the stadium before the game started.

And I'm just happy people still have gone to the games for the last 2 years. Last year's team was absolutely brutal to watch and people still came. I don't blame them for leaving at halftime when we are getting our *** beat with no end in sight.

I'm hoping that nothing changes with the south gate this year. That means that they didn't want to do anything with it because south endzone work is coming soon! I do think that we will see wider gates with more ticket takers at all other entry points, which should speed things up.

For the tailgating, at least half our group never goes in the game. And it would take more than a 6-6 type team to get them inside. Honestly, I don't blame them. When I look forward to the NDSU game, I'm just as excited to get into the lot, set up our stuff and kick back and have a few beers with my friends as I am about the actual game. And I love ISU FB. Hard for me to admit, but tailgating has eclipsed the actual games for me. I'm still excited to go into JTS, but I've just seen too many disappointments and ***-kickings to invest emotionally in ISU FB. I'll go to most games expecting a great tailgate and a disappointing FB game.

Help Support Us

Become a patron