ISU Extension Service faces Cuts

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I'm just really concerned about Iowa youth and agriculture. My profession is a dying art and we need all the people we can get.

4-H and FFA are essential to agriculture.

I work in agriculture as well. Relative to 20 years ago, our field is flourishing.

4-H and FFA are great. I see both those clubs being just as strong after this change.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Yes, it did. 4-H, FFA, and county fairs will be severely affected. If Iowa youth can not get interested in agriculture, who will grow anything in the future? 4-H and FFA is how I got to where I am. I would not have gone to ISU if not for FFA.

In terms of the Iowa farmer, not much changes. Most farmers don't rely on local extension any more, all publications can be read online.

The possible loss in Iowa youth interested in agriculture makes this a BAD idea. ISU extension is the envy of the agriculture world. India modeled their extension services after our own. ISU is great in some fields and mediocre in others. Pretty soon ISU will be mediocre in everything.

4-H and FFA wont struggle, the leaders of those groups played a bigger part in their success than the extension agent. It will affect 4-H more than FFA, I doubt FFA will see much of an impact at all it has its own events and is so much more than the county fair. The county fairs are already having a hard time and for the most party they happen with the local fair boards and such. As for the youth, you are interested in ag or you are not. It is a families job to educate and get kids interested in the ag field. I was involved big in both FFA and 4-H and had some good experences but the best memories of both are getting to meet and know girls from different places. :wink:

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
You all make great points. I'm relatively young and probably great tunnel vision at times. I'm a plant breeder and there are not very many of us, which does not mean other areas of agriculture are not flourishing. I still believe that agriculture needs to be pushed to youth at all possible times.

FFA might not have a big impact and 4-H might adjust, but county fairs will suffer. One person running 10 county fairs is too much to ask.

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
ISU didn't have a lot of options. Budget cuts were hitting everything and extension decided this was the best bang for the buck. I also think extension gives ISU a great name, but I bet it loses a lot of money every yr

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
One person running 10 county fairs is too much to ask.

Do they do that much at county fairs but show up. Fair boards, county offices, 4-H leaders, FFA advisors and other locals are what make county fairs go. County fairs are struggling already and the falling number of farm kids isnt going to help that anytime soon.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Do they do that much at county fairs but show up. Fair boards, county offices, 4-H leaders, FFA advisors and other locals are what make county fairs go. County fairs are struggling already and the falling number of farm kids isnt going to help that anytime soon.

Yeah, they do a lot. They organize all of judging as well as the displays. County Fairs may be a dying art, but some are as big as ever. My home county (Jones) is one of the biggest in the state.

Reactions: kingcy

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Yeah, they do a lot. They organize all of judging as well as the displays. County Fairs may be a dying art, but some are as big as ever. My home county (Jones) is one of the biggest in the state.

I just thought a few of the big wigs in each area hired a buddy that judges to be the judge (sadly not really kiding here). My home county fair is Guthrie and it is doing well. After going to it for years I get disapointed when I go to other fairs.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I don't work for Extension, but I do work with people who work for Extension. Right now many of us are uncertain about what will happen when the details of this plan need to be worked out.

And fyi: 4-H is a successful program component of Extension; FFA is not part of or affiliated with Extension administratively.