ISU Athletics tweet

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Texas and TAMU used to have that same animosity towards one another when they played in the same conference. Now, they could care less about what the other one is doing. It's like they're not even in the same state any more.

LOL. Texas and TAMU still obsess over each other as much as before conference realignment.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Unlike some of you, maybe the athletic department is not obsessed with your little friends to the east and was not thinking about them at all when they made this tweet. :mad:

Then why post it? What are they trying to imply?

"Hey everyone.... we're Iowa State.... we just had a 3-9 season, but yet, we're going to have our associate AD tweet that making a New Year's bowl is really no big deal anymore."

Do you realize how stupid that sounds? C'mon. It's stinks of sour grapes BIG time. As some have already said on here, if we were playing in a New Year's bowl, there would be all kinds of tweets out of the ISU AD office about how we've done something that no other ISU team has ever done and what a great accomplishment it is.

This is just stupid, and I have no idea why anyone would think it was a good idea?

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
This would be the equivalent of Iowa's associate AD last year tweeting something like.... "making the 2nd round of the NCAA Tourney in MBB isn't really a big deal anymore."

How would that have gone over in Cyclone nation.

We technically made the third round last year so I dont think Cyclone fans would have cared.

SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
West Des Moines
I agree that I wasn't a big fan of the tweet... then I read Malchow's blog post that was noted in the tweet and it put his comment in perspective:

http://2minuteto.wordpress.com/2013...-its-not-the-same-achievement-as-it-once-was/

A New Year’s Day bowl game has long had special meaning. The first one – named the Tournament East-West Game – was staged in Pasadena, Calif. The match-up between Stanford and Michigan took place on Jan. 1, 1902.The contest was so one-sided (Michigan won 49-0) that the local Tournament of Rose officials decided to stage events other than football games for the next 15 years as part of their annual celebration. Among the competitions were chariot and ostrich races. College football returned to that scene in 1916 as a re-branded entity called the Tournament of Roses football game.
For decades, the Rose, Orange (which started in 1934), Sugar (1934) and Fiesta (1971) bowls has had the nation’s rooting interest each January with a bowl game.
For teams that qualified for January play, it was significant bragging rights. You had to be special to get invited to a game in the first month of the new calendar year.
Twenty-four schools in 12 different bowls will play on New Year’s Day or after this season. It’s a crowded field of January bowl games in ‘14.
What’s interesting today is the wide range of qualifications for the January bowl participants. To build up good resumes, schools should have to win games against good competition.
Here is a list of 2014 January bowl participants ranked in reverse order according to the winning rate of the teams these schools defeated.
For example, the combined winning percentage of the 8 schools Vanderbilt defeated was 27.1%.
SEC: Vanderbilt (.271)
MAC: Ball State (.296)
Mt. West: UNLV (.321)
Sun Belt: Arkansas State (.325)
Big Ten: Iowa (.396)
Big Ten: Nebraska (.398)
Amer. Athletic: UCF (.402)
C-USA: North Texas (.402)
Big Ten: Wisconsin (.416)
Amer. Athletic: Houston (.449)
Big Ten: Ohio State (.451)
Big 12: Oklahoma (.458)
SEC: LSU (.459)
SEC: Alabama (.474)
Big Ten: Michigan State (.476)
ACC: Clemson (.479)
Big 12: Baylor (.496)
SEC: Missouri (.508)
Big 12: Oklahoma State (.508)
SEC: Georgia (.510)
ACC: Florida State (.519)
SEC: Auburn (.552)
Pac 12: Stanford (.579)
SEC: South Carolina (.593)
Boldface indicates school in the major bowls (National Championship, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar, Rose)
If the measures above have any merit, some of the best games appear to be Oklahoma vs. Alabama, Oklahoma State vs. Missouri and Auburn vs. Florida State.

Last edited:

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
We technically made the third round last year so I dont think Cyclone fans would have cared.

Kind of the same thing, because making the 3rd round now, is not the same as when there were 64 teams.

If some other school, that didn't make the tournament at all, posted "Making it to the 3rd round of the tournament does not mean as much as it used to," this place would blow up, especially if it was Iowa saying it.

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
Texas and TAMU used to have that same animosity towards one another when they played in the same conference. Now, they could care less about what the other one is doing. It's like they're not even in the same state any more. We need to get past the obsession with Iowa and focus on how to compete in our own conference. Many have posted in this thread that we have a much more difficult road just navigating through our conference. That's what should be important to our fan base and not that one stinking game against Iowa. To win it is important. To base the season success on it is not. We try to win instate recruiting battles with them for kids that teams in our conference don't even try to recruit. They are not that good of a program to garner such respect from us. Now, they are laughing at us as they read this story. Great job AD. Just my thoughts on this Saturday morning.

Actually. Its worse now. January bowls ARE ho hum

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I agree that I wasn't a big fan of the tweet... then I read Malchow's blog post that was noted in the tweet and it put his comment in perspective

Congrats. You may have been the first person in this thread who read beyond the tweet.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Same place Iowa played last year?

Yeah, but the Iowa AD didn't send out a tweet trying to downplay playing in the Liberty Bowl against a CUSA team, much less a pretty big non-BCS bowl.

Still trying to figure out which poster on here has access to the ISU twitter account. This is classic.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Winning 6 games doesn't mean as much as it used to either...

...yet struggle to meet that benchmark.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Texas and TAMU used to have that same animosity towards one another when they played in the same conference. Now, they could care less about what the other one is doing. It's like they're not even in the same state any more. We need to get past the obsession with Iowa and focus on how to compete in our own conference. Many have posted in this thread that we have a much more difficult road just navigating through our conference. That's what should be important to our fan base and not that one stinking game against Iowa. To win it is important. To base the season success on it is not. We try to win instate recruiting battles with them for kids that teams in our conference don't even try to recruit. They are not that good of a program to garner such respect from us. Now, they are laughing at us as they read this story. Great job AD. Just my thoughts on this Saturday morning.

Couldn't agree more. The measure of success for the program is the Big XII record. I could care less what Iowa is doing in January. I'd probably get way more excited about a win over Texas, K State or Oklahoma than one over the Hoks. I suspect many in IC would say the same thing about beating Ohio State and Michigan versus beating us. I don't live in Iowa and don't have to put up with the black and gold, so I don't feel the day to day intensity of the rivalry. Still, I don't like the implication of the tweet (even after having read the blog post).

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I think the idea is this: if we played a non conference schedule loaded with cupcakes (as many BCS schools do), and beat only the bottom 3-4 teams in the conference, we'd be going to a bowl. Is doing so that big of an accomplishment?

The funny thing is we would KILL to be able to even beat the bottom 3-4 teams in our conference. Especially considering we're ALWAYS one of them.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
This is stupid. I hate when Iowa State does this type of thing. Same with the billboards in CR too.

Nothing screams "Little Brother Syndrome" more than stupid stuff like this.

How about we just make New Year's Day bowls instead of disparaging them for once? What an idea!

Why can't ISU put up billboards in Cedar Rapids? Iowa has multiple billboards in Des Moines.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006

Bolded for truth. UT and aTm could care less about each other. There is a lot of animosity and jealousy between them. However, the next sentence is just a big fail on your part.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I can see both sides of the tweet. First it is a fact that the January bowls don't mean quite what they used to. That's not a jab at Iowa but ISU not making a bowl game this year makes it look like sour grapes. I can easily understand that can be fodder for Iowa fans and rightfully so.
I've wondered about January bowls and the history of the B8/12 vs B10. Historically the Big 10 has had more schools in the conference, so there might be a better shot at those teams making bowl games.
With the amount of the bowl games it also seems like the B10 has more scheduled for New Years than the B8/B12. Maybe I'm missing something but it just seems like B12 has Cotton, BCS (usually Fiesta) and the B10 has Cap1, Outback, Gator, BCS (usually Rose) for New Years Day games. So does the "playing on Jan bowl" argument that Iowa fans really matter if they are in 4th or 5th place in the B10? It just seems like the B10 tie in for January Bowls has always been greater than the B12.