[video=youtube_share;1XZGHOxnCto]http://youtu.be/1XZGHOxnCto[/video]

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Don't like it. Makes ISU look silly. The response will be "ohh yeah? Where is ISU playing?"

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Wow embarrassing all we do is 6-6, if we played on New Year's Day there would be a parade in Ames

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Don't like it. Makes ISU look silly. The response will be "ohh yeah? Where is ISU playing?"

Agreed. Tacky and passive aggressive. Also, you know if we were going to a Jan. Bowl it'd be some spin like "This is the first January bowl and blah blah blah" and we certainly wouldn't water down the achievement.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This is stupid. I hate when Iowa State does this type of thing. Same with the billboards in CR too.

Nothing screams "Little Brother Syndrome" more than stupid stuff like this.

How about we just make New Year's Day bowls instead of disparaging them for once? What an idea!

Last edited:

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant

Perhaps, but I don't think that is the message that is being conveyed. I doubt JP would make such a statement otherwise.

I think the idea is this: if we played a non conference schedule loaded with cupcakes (as many BCS schools do), and beat only the bottom 3-4 teams in the conference, we'd be going to a bowl. Is doing so that big of an accomplishment? I dont think JP is trying to diminish what other teams have done to get there, but maybe some perspective will help our fans understand that for us to get to bowl eligibility, we must beat at least a couple good teams to get there and remember, we play more conference games than that of say, the Big10.

However, trying to make this point while our team is sitting at home watching bowls is not good form.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I chuckled when I saw it, but at the same time I know that when Iowa State makes a January bowl game, the Athletics Department will never shut up about it.

We could make one of those bowls that's after most of the BCS games like the Compass Bowl or GoDaddy Bowl and we'd still brag about qualifying for a January bowl game.

I remember last year the Heart of Dallas Bowl was a potential spot for us to land in. That's even a New Year's Day Bowl! (It's also the only bowl game that's broadcast on ESPNU... but we wouldn't have heard about that.)

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Perhaps, but I don't think that is the message that is being conveyed. I doubt JP would make such a statement otherwise.

I think the idea is this: if we played a non conference schedule loaded with cupcakes (as many BCS schools do), and beat only the bottom 3-4 teams in the conference, we'd be going to a bowl. Is doing so that big of an accomplishment? I dont think JP is trying to diminish what other teams have done to get there, but maybe some perspective will help our fans understand that for us to get to bowl eligibility, we must beat at least a couple good teams to get there and remember, we play more conference games than that of say, the Big10.

However, trying to make this point while our team is sitting at home watching bowls is not good form.

This was not JP saying this, it was some college age staffer.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
This was not JP saying this, it was some college age staffer.

This is an entry from Steve Malchow's blog who is a Senior Associate AD for Communications. Definitely not a college age staffer. He's a JP direct report.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This would be the equivalent of Iowa's associate AD last year tweeting something like.... "making the 2nd round of the NCAA Tourney in MBB isn't really a big deal anymore."

How would that have gone over in Cyclone nation.

CycloneAlley

Apr 11, 2006
Maloy, USA
Looks like JP/Malchow are trying to troll our friends from the east again with this latest tweet. And yes this is actually from the official ISU twitter account.

Iowa State Athletics@CycloneATH45m
Two dozen schools will play January bowl games. It’s not the same achievement as it once was. http://ow.ly/rYJJL

Unlike some of you, maybe the athletic department is not obsessed with your little friends to the east and was not thinking about them at all when they made this tweet. :mad:

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
Looks like JP/Malchow are trying to troll our friends from the east again with this latest tweet. And yes this is actually from the official ISU twitter account.

Iowa State Athletics@CycloneATH45m
Two dozen schools will play January bowl games. It’s not the same achievement as it once was. http://ow.ly/rYJJL

Texas and TAMU used to have that same animosity towards one another when they played in the same conference. Now, they could care less about what the other one is doing. It's like they're not even in the same state any more. We need to get past the obsession with Iowa and focus on how to compete in our own conference. Many have posted in this thread that we have a much more difficult road just navigating through our conference. That's what should be important to our fan base and not that one stinking game against Iowa. To win it is important. To base the season success on it is not. We try to win instate recruiting battles with them for kids that teams in our conference don't even try to recruit. They are not that good of a program to garner such respect from us. Now, they are laughing at us as they read this story. Great job AD. Just my thoughts on this Saturday morning.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Malchow must have been drunk when he wrote that.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This would be the equivalent of Iowa's associate AD last year tweeting something like.... "making the 2nd round of the NCAA Tourney in MBB isn't really a big deal anymore."

How would that have gone over in Cyclone nation.

Niether AD should say it, but 20% of FBS teams play a January bowl if it's true 24 teams are playing. It's the same statistical achievement as losing in the first round of the NCAA tournament (about 20% of D1 teams).

The term "January Bowl" as a bragging statement has become laughable.