ISU Alumni Association: Worth it?

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
Hey guys. I'm graduating in May and they're starting to push the ISUAA on us. Just wondering if it's worth the money, what benefits you get, what benefits you actually enjoy, if the money is better spent on something else (cough, cough, Gridiron Club), etc.

I figure we must have a few ISUAA members and haters on here so I'm really just looking to find out what the perception is.

Also, bear in mind it only costs $30 a year for the first three years after you graduate.

EDIT (because everyyard made me feel petty): Money is tight, so I just want to know the perception of the organization as a whole, etc. I understand it's about more than what I get, BUT, is that true for the first few years right after you graduate? Did you guys join right away?

Last edited:

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Well, something that they don't tell you in college is not everything is about what you get out of it. This is a case of what you give. The alumni association is your chance as an Alumni to give back and support your University so that others can have the same and better opportunities as you. So, yes, you get Visions magazine, and access to Alumni events, but the real reason to join is not to get but to give for what you have already gotten. So, whether it is worth it or not is up to you.

Last edited:

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Well, something that they don't tell you in college is not everything is about what you get out of it. This is a case of what you give. The alumni association is your chance as an Alumni to give back and support your University so that others can have the same and better opportunities as you. So, yes, you get Visions magazine, and access to Alumni events, but the real reason to join is not to get but to give for what you have already gotten.

What was your secret to be immediately wealthy out of school? I'd love to know.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Well, something that they don't tell you in college is not everything is about what you get out of it. This is a case of what you give. The alumni association is your chance as an Alumni to give back and support your University so that others can have the same and better opportunities as you. So, yes, you get Visions magazine, and access to Alumni events, but the real reason to join is not to get but to give for what you have already gotten. So, whether it is worth it or not is up to you.

How does giving to the alumni association help the university? It burns up most of the money just existing.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
If you want to give money to the University, give it directly to the colleges. Alumni Association is a joke.

*coming from another May graduate

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
$30 a year makes me wealthy??? My secret is I got a job.

+1

I can tell you in Colorado this past weekend there was a great event put on by the local group. It was a VEISHEA type tailgate party in the mountains at Arapahoe Basin - Ski area. It was a great time. There are great events like this going on all over the country and it is a great time and can be used as an opportunity to network. I believe one recent grad got some valuable connections from some fellow alums.

bpmcclain

Nov 17, 2010
Ames

I thought the thousands that I gave in tuition money was giving enough

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The wife and I are lifetime members. 1,000 bucks or so for both of us to be lifetime members. I wanted to give a little back. Some decent discounts, and Visions magazine 4 times a year.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
If you want to give money to the University, give it directly to the colleges. Alumni Association is a joke.

*coming from another May graduate

That's probably my initial thoughts too. If the ISUAA is anything like the SAA, they won't be getting a dime from me.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
I thought the thousands that I gave in tuition money was giving enough

This. I don't really understand the "giving back what you took out" idea. If the education I got was free, that might make more sense.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
$30 a year makes me wealthy??? My secret is I got a job.

No, it's not a lot of money, but little stuff adds up. I have a job, but I also have a wife in grad school, massive debt, and financial goals I'd like to reach in my personal life. I just thought it was kind of ridiculous to give somebody crap for not just throwing any amount of money at something sight unseen.

Also, totally agree with the sentiment behind giving to something other than the ISUAA. I would get much more fulfillment out of giving to say, the marching band, or something else that was actually important to me while I was at ISU than giving the AA money and getting a magazine that will sit unread on my coffee table.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
If you are looking for a job, the Alumni Association website has a job board for members where people post jobs looking for ISU grads. Just a thought.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I joined my first year out of ISU and honestly, the calendar was the best part. I didn't really take the time to look up or research the events that they put on, so if you attend those, I'm sure it's more worth it. But I tailgate in G7 and don't really have time for those events so for me it wasn't really worth it. I didn't renew.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
$30? I became a lifer soon after I graduated. You want to talk about not being able to afford it, that was painful spending all that cash fresh out of college. It was well worth it though. Made some great friends. And I don't have to ever pay another dime if I don't want to, even though they have the "continuing life" thing. Ha ha I don't think so. Maybe when I'm feeling generous I'll consider it again.

Oh and I look forward to the calendar every year! :smile: