Is there an exhibition game or two for MBB?

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I just went to cyclones.com to look at the schedule and it doesn't list any. Am I missing something in plain sight?

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
As much as it sucks for fans not being able to see the guys beat up on some crappy team, they will gain so much more playing other P6 teams.
Outside of fans not being able to watch the game, the only negative I can think of with not having an exhibition game is the new players don’t get a game in Hilton under their belts before the season starts. Thankfully that shouldn’t be a problem with Alabama State being the first game.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Outside of fans not being able to watch the game, the only negative I can think of with not having an exhibition game is the new players don’t get a game in Hilton under their belts before the season starts. Thankfully that shouldn’t be a problem with Alabama State being the first game.
They get a game at Hilton (scrimmage)...just without the fans. Honestly, I view it more positively than some...you get two scrimmages home/away to play P5 competition...then start up the regular games. Puts everyone in a better position to play better basketball in the first game that counts in the W/L column.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
They get a game at Hilton (scrimmage)...just without the fans. Honestly, I view it more positively than some...you get two scrimmages home/away to play P5 competition...then start up the regular games. Puts everyone in a better position to play better basketball in the first game that counts in the W/L column.
I believe the scrimmage is at the practice facility. At least the Tulane one a couple years ago was.

I want the team to be prepared to win games when it counts. If that means secret scrimmages are the way to go, then I fully support it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
A couple of sleepers would at least be a nice fix but as others have said, those are two pretty good teams to scrimmage against.

I think Wisconsin is in a similar position as ISU so that would be fun to see.

Kind of wish they could still film it and then just make it available later like they've done for practice clips, and even the Hilton Magic night.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I believe the scrimmage is at the practice facility. At least the Tulane one a couple years ago was.

I want the team to be prepared to win games when it counts. If that means secret scrimmages are the way to go, then I fully support it.
According to the box score, the game was at Hilton
box-score-2-png.59224

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
It may have been but I wouldn't put too much stock in that. Why would they bother to change that on their template when it isn't even being released to the press?

I mean, they changed everything else... date, time, opponent. Why would they just randomly leave the "template" location, assuming it's even a template that's defaulted to Hilton.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonespiker33

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I mean, they changed everything else... date, time, opponent. Why would they just randomly leave the "template" location, assuming it's even a template that's defaulted to Hilton.
They also noted that it was a scrimmage.

What's even more encouraging is that Iowa State won even with Paul Janssen officiating

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Date, time, opponent, referees, etc. get changed for every game. Location gets changed maybe once a year if they are doing the stats for the Big 4 game in Des Moines. They may have even intended to change it and just forgot. I'm not saying that it wasn't in Hilton, but I could see it failing to get changed when the sheet wasn't even for public consumption.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The things you are saying are not true.

https://cyclones.com/documents/2018/2/24//wvuisu.pdf

The attendance number is next to the word "attendance" not below it
Also, the location gets changed for every game as well. They have the same template for away games, as seen in the link above.
I guess I was under the impression that stats were kept by the home team and distributed to all by the home team. If that isn't true I stand corrected. Do both schools really keep separate stats for every game? How do they handle discrepancies?

The fact that scrimmage appears just below the attendance really doesn't prove anything. The point was that they entered scrimmage at the time they would normally insert an attendance to indicate that there was no attendance.