Is it time for Wally to retire?

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
I noticed earlier that we have 30 OL, probably 20 WR and we have 6 DT/NGs. I know it is suppose to be hard to get good DTs, but I would take the guys from NDSU, and would have been glad to come to ISU.

Do you feel that the Bison players would go to ISU just because our program is bigger? I do not. We have a long way to go, to get players to want to come here. It's been an uphill battle for all our coaches, and it just seems to get worse every year.

NDSU is a top notch program, and players want to play there.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Was it that his defenses overall were that good or was it that Knott/Klein covered up a lot of issues that came to the surface when we no longer had someone of their talent?

That is like asking is Hoiberg that good or did getting players like White, Kane, and Georges cover up what we saw in Year 1?
Most coaches are not good if they have inferior talent and get better with better players. Given Knott, Klein, Georges, Smith etc were not major recruits or even what most programs consider overly talented, and were only one or two players out of 11, I'd say it was Wally. Look at what he did in Year 1 compared to what those guys did under Bolt. The fact that if you give him even a couple good players he can put out a serviceable defense is impressive. I'd like to see this defense in Game 6 with Coe, Irving, Ayeni, Iron, and Cotton-Moya.

SheldonCooper

May 30, 2014
Do you feel that the Bison players would go to ISU just because our program is bigger? I do not. We have a long way to go, to get players to want to come here. It's been an uphill battle for all our coaches, and it just seems to get worse every year.

NDSU is a top notch program, and players want to play there.

Nonsense.

There is no football player on planet Earth that is worth a flying **** that would turn down a full ride to a Power 5 conference school over an offer from ANY lower-tier program in America. Iowa has basically built their program on stealing kids from UNI and MAC schools.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
How bad must J Harris be at LB? We were getting gashed and the juco doesn't even see the field and his specialty is run stopping and supposedly knocking your teeth out as CPR put it.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
He was going to retire this last year until Bray died. There was already a lot of turnover on the coaching staff.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Jehvon Miller is on scholarship........

Sadly.

I love how we have not been good for years but no one thinks anyone should be accountable.

Also, there were most definitely a lot of posters who were convinced our D would be ok.

Last edited:

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
For the record, it doesn't flipping matter what anyone here thinks as it relates to accountability. I learned something about the time I turned 30 and had been a season ticket holder for dozen years: I had worried myself with things like accountability and having it all figured out. I came to realize that the people who actually have to worry about such things are folks like Pollard and his staff and those who donate about 100 times what I do.

Why worry about whether or not JoeCyclone4evr thinks Wally should or should not be fired? State your case, have a conversation, but don't bring accountability into the debate as if CF needs to step up with a collective voice to convince Rhoads or Pollard to take action.

FreeBorn

Jul 3, 2014
For the record, it doesn't flipping matter what anyone here thinks as it relates to accountability. I learned something about the time I turned 30 and had been a season ticket holder for dozen years: I had worried myself with things like accountability and having it all figured out. I came to realize that the people who actually have to worry about such things are folks like Pollard and his staff and those who donate about 100 times what I do.

Why worry about whether or not JoeCyclone4evr thinks Wally should or should not be fired? State your case, have a conversation, but don't bring accountability into the debate as if CF needs to step up with a collective voice to convince Rhoads or Pollard to take action.

What?

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011

We are sharing opinions here. On this subject we are discussing whether someone has performed well enough to stay on the job. No one has ever claimed that we wield power. It's a discussion/debate. Of course we aren't making decisions. In short...duh.

I suggest that message boards are not your thing.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA

I like this post.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

I think you might be missng the point of message boards....