Is Indiana 2010 the weakest non-conf schedule ever?

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
6-6 won't get them to a bowl, what conference games will this team win? Illinois? Purdue?? Michigan?? Not much else I see even a remote chance of happening...

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Oh wait. They totally did schedule Arkansas State...

Anyway, Indiana isn't looking to use this schedule to make a run for the BCS championship. This is a great way for a perennial cellar-dweller to make a run for a bowl game. Really any bowl game.

They won one game in Big 10 play in 2009, beating Illinois. However, their 4-8 record last season hides the fact that:
1) They lost to Michigan by 3 points in the Big House after the Wolverines came back late in the 4th quarter
2) Lost to jNW on a last second FG after the Wildcats came back with 25 unanswered points
3) Lost to Iowa after the Hoosiers apparently forgot to show up for the 4th quarter, allowing 28 unanswered points
4) Failed to finish off a comeback against Wisconsin
5) Collapsed against PSU after a pretty decent 1st half

This is not to say that Indiana is some powerhouse team, but they have a pretty good offense and if their defense can put together four good quarters, I think they walk away with a few more wins. Just two wins in the Big 10, coupled with 4 wins in a easy non-con schedule would probably set them up for a shot at a bowl game.

Hell, last year if you imagine that Indiana managed to beat at least Michigan and Northwestern, that's 6 wins right there.

At the same time, there's no guarantee that they will have an easier shot at a bowl game... In 2009, they played Eastern Kentucky, Western Michigan, Akron and Virginia. They beat EKU and WMU by a combined 10 points and had an easier time with Akron. But they were drubbed by a Virginia team that would go on to win a grand total of 3 games the entire 2009 season.

Plus, you could argue that the Big 10 is going to be a tougher conference this year than it was last year. And Indiana gets to play the preseason top 4 teams in Ohio State, Iowa, Wisconsin and Penn State. Michigan is always a mystery, as I don't think there's really a precedence for this much suckiness, Northwestern seems to be trying to move up to the upper echelon of the conference, and Purdue is pretty close to making a bowl.

All this proves is that the Big 10 is full of marginal teams, that struggled with a pretty bad Indiana team. Their play in the forth quarter against Iowa last year rivaled Jim Criner's teams in terms of hapless.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
bill snyder is offended by such accusations

So is JoPa. People need to open their eyes to how pathetic Penn St has schedules the last 5 or 6 years. When all of the sudden people jump back on the JoPa bandwagon, it's probably no coincidence he's no too old to coach when they load up with cream puffs. They've only played 2 non conference games outside of PA in the last 6 years, and those were trips to ND and Syracuse. Why they get any national respect is beyond me.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Oh wait. They totally did schedule Arkansas State...

Anyway, Indiana isn't looking to use this schedule to make a run for the BCS championship. This is a great way for a perennial cellar-dweller to make a run for a bowl game. Really any bowl game.

They won one game in Big 10 play in 2009, beating Illinois. However, their 4-8 record last season hides the fact that:
1) They lost to Michigan by 3 points in the Big House after the Wolverines came back late in the 4th quarter
2) Lost to jNW on a last second FG after the Wildcats came back with 25 unanswered points
3) Lost to Iowa after the Hoosiers apparently forgot to show up for the 4th quarter, allowing 28 unanswered points
4) Failed to finish off a comeback against Wisconsin
5) Collapsed against PSU after a pretty decent 1st half

This is not to say that Indiana is some powerhouse team, but they have a pretty good offense and if their defense can put together four good quarters, I think they walk away with a few more wins. Just two wins in the Big 10, coupled with 4 wins in a easy non-con schedule would probably set them up for a shot at a bowl game.

Hell, last year if you imagine that Indiana managed to beat at least Michigan and Northwestern, that's 6 wins right there.

At the same time, there's no guarantee that they will have an easier shot at a bowl game... In 2009, they played Eastern Kentucky, Western Michigan, Akron and Virginia. They beat EKU and WMU by a combined 10 points and had an easier time with Akron. But they were drubbed by a Virginia team that would go on to win a grand total of 3 games the entire 2009 season.

Plus, you could argue that the Big 10 is going to be a tougher conference this year than it was last year. And Indiana gets to play the preseason top 4 teams in Ohio State, Iowa, Wisconsin and Penn State. Michigan is always a mystery, as I don't think there's really a precedence for this much suckiness, Northwestern seems to be trying to move up to the upper echelon of the conference, and Purdue is pretty close to making a bowl.

I remember watching those 2 games and the Iowa game and thinking all the stuff you just said. Indiana was a solid team last year, they were a bowl quality team but giving away those games in Ann Arbor and Iowa City blew it.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Anyone who thinks Indiana clearly has the weakest non-conf schedule ever apparently has a short-term memory, considering last year's K-State non-conf cost them a bowl appearance:

UMass - FCS
LA-Lafayette - Sun Belt
UCLA - Pac 10
TN Tech - FCS

Granted, UCLA was a decent matchup, however, they scheduled 2 FCS teams - one of them automatically wasn't going to count towards bowl eligibility, so effectively they went 5-6 and were ineligible for bowl participation. Someone in the AD needed to be kicked in the rear for that - you can't schedule two FCS games unless you're absolutely certain you won't need that "gimme win" for bowl eligibility, and K-State hasn't been certain about wins for more than half a decade now. There's nothing wrong with pathetic scheduling to pad records - everyone in the BCS does it. But are they trying to tell me they couldn't substitute either UMass or TN Tech for another Sun Belt or MAC team and not end up in the same place?
:confused:

6-6 won't get them to a bowl, what conference games will this team win? Illinois? Purdue?? Michigan?? Not much else I see even a remote chance of happening...

You sure you meant to word it this way? 6-6 will almost certainly get Indiana, or just about any other BCS team for that matter, to a bowl (the only time recently I can remember was K-State last year and Iowa in 2007). I think what you meant to say is you don't see any possible way IU can get to that magical record to become bowl eligible.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I disagree. I'd rather be 2-2 against NIU, Iowa, UNI, and Utah than be 4-0 against that.

It all depends how many conf games you are sure to win.

You should always schedule yourself a bowl game.

Under your senario, we would have to have the second best Big 12 record in ISU history just to be 6-6 and make a bowl game.

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
I know we'll never be able to close Pandora's box again, but this schedule your way to a bowl game or championships or yadda yadda yadda sucks.

Was watching some of the Husker Century documentary yesterday (it's on NET public television like four times per week) and one of the things that struck me was their non-conference games in the 70s and early 80s.

In 1982, the Huskers only loss was AT PENN STATE in week 3. The following week they won AT AUBURN. The opened the season with IOWA at home. Can you imagine?

In 1983, the year they lost to Miami going for two in the Orange Bowl, they opened against PENN STATE in the Kickoff Classic. Then played AT MINNESOTA with home games against UCLA and SYRACUSE.

It wasn't just Nebraska either. Everybody scheduled great non-conference games every year. THAT is one of the only ways I can see to make college football better.

Take a peek at these non-conference schedules compared to what schools are buying today ...

NEBRASKA
1986 ... Florida State, Illinois, Oregon, South Carolina
1985 ... Florida State, Illinois, Oregon, New Mexico
1984 ... Wyoming, Minnesota, UCLA, Syracuse
1983 ... Penn State, Minnesota, UCLA, Syracuse
1982 ... Iowa, Penn State, Auburn, Hawaii
1981 ... Iowa, Florida State, Penn State, Auburn
1980 ... Utah, Penn State, Iowa, Florida State

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
It all depends how many conf games you are sure to win.

You should always schedule yourself a bowl game.

Under your senario, we would have to have the second best Big 12 record in ISU history just to be 6-6 and make a bowl game.
We should beat Kansas State at a neutral site at a place we basically had them beat last year.

We have a Kansas team with a new coaching staff and basically all new offensive personnel traveling to Ames this year.

Then there's Colorado...

There's 3 conference wins right there.

If there was only a place where I display my thoughts in detail...

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/football/98150-i-expect-6-wins-cyclone-football-team-2010-a.html

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
We should beat Kansas State at a neutral site at a place we basically had them beat last year.

We have a Kansas team with a new coaching staff and basically all new offensive personnel traveling to Ames this year.

Then there's Colorado...

There's 3 conference wins right there.

If there was only a place where I display my thoughts in detail...

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/football/98150-i-expect-6-wins-cyclone-football-team-2010-a.html

I understand. Those three wins makes us 5-7. Id prefer 7-5 with 'automatic wins'...

Ideally I would like to play great teams and win them all. Obviously. I just think you build a better team by winning bowl games. Not giving valiant efforts against great teams.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Obviously. I just think you build a better team by winning bowl games. Not giving valiant efforts against great teams.
Beating teams like Akron, Arkansas State, Towson, and Western Kentucky, well...then you've got Northern Illinois. Making bowl games by beating bad, bad teams.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Beating teams like Akron, Arkansas State, Towson, and Western Kentucky, well...then you've got Northern Illinois. Making bowl games by beating bad, bad teams.

Sure. You can sell bowl games to fans and recruits. Extra practices, more exposure

Its how KSU and Texas Tech were built.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Sure. You can sell bowl games to fans and recruits. Extra practices, more exposure

Its how KSU and Texas Tech were built.
Can't argue against extra practices. But, if you lose by 24 in a bowl game like NIU did (or Indiana who didn't even make a bowl) how do you sell that?

Reactions: ajk4st8

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Can't argue against extra practices. But, if you lose by 24 in a bowl game like NIU did (or Indiana who didn't even make a bowl) how do you sell that?

Fair enough. I would argue saying you went to a bowl game is plenty important enough. You dont have to say you were bowl champions.

Scheduling cupcakes is the way to rebuild. 1 tough game is ok, 2 is really tough, 3 like this year is overboard IMO.

Eventually when you are better scheduling tougher teams makes sense.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Fair enough. I would argue saying you went to a bowl game is plenty important enough. You dont have to say you were bowl champions.

Scheduling cupcakes is the way to rebuild. 1 tough game is ok, 2 is really tough, 3 like this year is overboard IMO.

Eventually when you are better scheduling tougher teams makes sense.
I'm excited and looking forward to the Utah game this year. A part of me though kind of wishes we were playing Utah State.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I know we'll never be able to close Pandora's box again, but this schedule your way to a bowl game or championships or yadda yadda yadda sucks.

Was watching some of the Husker Century documentary yesterday (it's on NET public television like four times per week) and one of the things that struck me was their non-conference games in the 70s and early 80s.

In 1982, the Huskers only loss was AT PENN STATE in week 3. The following week they won AT AUBURN. The opened the season with IOWA at home. Can you imagine?

In 1983, the year they lost to Miami going for two in the Orange Bowl, they opened against PENN STATE in the Kickoff Classic. Then played AT MINNESOTA with home games against UCLA and SYRACUSE.

It wasn't just Nebraska either. Everybody scheduled great non-conference games every year. THAT is one of the only ways I can see to make college football better.

Take a peek at these non-conference schedules compared to what schools are buying today ...

NEBRASKA
1986 ... Florida State, Illinois, Oregon, South Carolina
1985 ... Florida State, Illinois, Oregon, New Mexico
1984 ... Wyoming, Minnesota, UCLA, Syracuse
1983 ... Penn State, Minnesota, UCLA, Syracuse
1982 ... Iowa, Penn State, Auburn, Hawaii
1981 ... Iowa, Florida State, Penn State, Auburn
1980 ... Utah, Penn State, Iowa, Florida State

Interesting information. Thanks for digging it up.

I am guessing a lot of the reasoning behind those schedules was that it ensured them a lot of TV time. Back then, there was no cable football and only a few telivised games a week. You had to play Penn State in the non-con to get attention. Also, they were good enough to beat those calibre of teams every year.

Nowadays, Penn State can play Youngstown State for their opener every year and still get on TV. Times have changed. However, some of the bigger schools have started scheduling at least one really good non-con matchup to get a huge TV game and boost their BCS stock if they win. As a football fan I love seeing big non-con games set up.

However, as an ISU fan, I want the program to get better as quickly as possible. Going 1-3 in the non-con because we scheduled a bunch of bowl teams is not the best way to do it. We may be lucky and go 3-1 this year in non-con, but it is likely we will end up 2-2 which makes it that much tougher to go to a bowl game.

If we end up 5-7 this year because we lost to Utah, I am going to be a bit dissapointed. We have the talent to go to bowl games and win them if we don't schedule ranked opponents for more than one non-con game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron