iPhone or not..

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyadict

Aug 4, 2006
Ankeny
My contract is up with Verizon, and I'm really considering the iPhone. Is the AT&T coverage as good and is the iPhone really worth the cash?:skeptical:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
They are fun, and it is nice to have your ipod and phone all in 1, but they still don't work with corporate email systems (announced last night that they will soon). I chose a berry for my latest phone.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
everyone i know that has one loves it. they don't know what they did without it before :) and I'm pretty sure my boss has his synced with Outlook for our office... so there's something already there.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
My two-year old grand daugher has her own I-phone. Since she doesn't have a good grasp of the English language all she uses it for is to watch Ratatouille, hundreds and hundreds of times.

The Google phone is being marketed as an I-phone killer. I don't know when they plan on releasing it though.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
The AT&T coverage is really pretty ****-poor, IMO. It depends on where you live and travel, but people I go places with that have AT&T are often incommunicado when I have a good signal with Sprint.

I couldn't live without being able to tether my laptop to my phone via bluetooth either, so those are two major strikes against the iPhone in my book.

I also HATE touchscreens. That's a personal preference thing though, I suppose.

Those are all the things that keep me from considering an iPhone seriously. It'd also be nice to have GPS capabilities (ala Tomtom with my Treo 755p), and not be locked into Apple.

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
My two-year old grand daugher has her own I-phone. Since she doesn't have a good grasp of the English language all she uses it for is to watch Ratatouille, hundreds and hundreds of times.

The Google phone is being marketed as an I-phone killer. I don't know when they plan on releasing it though.
I don't know which part of that statement baffles me more, that a 2 year old has an iPhone, or that a 2-year old needs a cell phone at all.

I personally wouldn't get an iPhone, but I'm one of the people that just needs a phone that can make calls and not much else. I just don't use it for anything else. Maybe tetris occasionally when I'm on the crapper.

CompCy

Apr 7, 2006
Ames

I don't understand why the media and people on the internet feel the need to label everything as a killer of another product. It's not a bad thing for there to be competition in the marketplace.

After all, we don't advertise Iowa State Cyclones as the Hawkeye-killer. (although that might not be a bad thing...)

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
I don't know which part of that statement baffles me more, that a 2 year old has an iPhone, or that a 2-year old needs a cell phone at all.
It baffles me also.

I have never owned a cell phone myself even though my two year old grand daughter has an iPhone.

Through an acquisition AT & T just began offering coverage in Alaska. However, they still don't offer coverage in the area of the state I live.

bpmdu

Jun 28, 2006
As a phone, the iPhone is pretty poor IMO. It's difficult to dial and do something else or pay attention to something else. The speakerphone is hard to hear sometimes, even at full volume. Other negative is the Edge network is very slow. Pages load at somewhat slow speeds and safari isn't exactly compatible with all web designs.
Other then those flaws, it excels in the other areas that I've used it for. I tried the Windows Mobile based AT & T Tilt. Couldn't stand using the stylus nor Windows mobile. The 3G connection was much faster however. I kind of liked the Blackberry Curve 8310 but found it too bulky.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I have no intentions on wasting money on one of those or even a blackberry. I'm not a big fan of text messaging either. Sometimes people just need to put down the internet and mobile devices and enjoy some of the finer things in life. I get really irked with the people that try to carry on a "conversation" over text mail too. After the 3rd text or so I'll just pick up the phone and call and say "if you have something to say just call me!"

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I have no intentions on wasting money on one of those or even a blackberry. I'm not a big fan of text messaging either. Sometimes people just need to put down the internet and mobile devices and enjoy some of the finer things in life. I get really irked with the people that try to carry on a "conversation" over text mail too. After the 3rd text or so I'll just pick up the phone and call and say "if you have something to say just call me!"

"Thats about a 9 on the tension scale there Rube."

I get what you are saying. I only text if Im somewhere that quiet is required and only if its a quick message. No conversations. I have a cell but I hate cellphones. Its gotten to the point where its a nessecity. Its sick, I know.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
After a few months with mine (had it since December), there are definitely some pros and cons to go with it. I hate touch screens in general, but the iPhone's touch screen interface is really, really great. It's also nice having a music player and phone all in one.

Cons, it depends on where you are, but EDGE can be slow. If you've got a good signal, you're most likely going to get great internet speeds. If you've never used wireless internet on a phone before while out and about, you're not going to notice... but don't expect broadband speeds.

Also, my girlfriend, who has Verizon, complains about a buzz that we get on both ends during conversations. I've noticed it too, and I think it's incompatibility between networks.

IMO, the iPhone is just going to get better from here on out. Iowa does not even have a 3G network yet (though Des Moines may get one by the end of the year). Apple just released their SDK (software development kit) to 3rd party developers yesterday, allowing people to release free or pay software to download for use on the phone. Plus, Apple is adding a host of corporate features that will heighten its appeal to businesses. The downside is that this is all coming in June, and with the possibility of a new 3G iPhone coming out by then, you should probably wait.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
There should be a lot of cool apps coming now that they have the SDK available.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I've been told by people who have them that everything works pretty great on the iPhone - except for the phone itself. Don't know whether it has to do with AT&T being a crap carrier or whether the phone in the iPhone is just that bad. From what I've been told, if you want all the toys in the iPhone that badly and still have a good phone service, buy the iPod Touch and stay with Verizon.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
After a few months with mine (had it since December), there are definitely some pros and cons to go with it. I hate touch screens in general, but the iPhone's touch screen interface is really, really great. It's also nice having a music player and phone all in one.

Cons, it depends on where you are, but EDGE can be slow. If you've got a good signal, you're most likely going to get great internet speeds. If you've never used wireless internet on a phone before while out and about, you're not going to notice... but don't expect broadband speeds.

Also, my girlfriend, who has Verizon, complains about a buzz that we get on both ends during conversations. I've noticed it too, and I think it's incompatibility between networks.

IMO, the iPhone is just going to get better from here on out. Iowa does not even have a 3G network yet (though Des Moines may get one by the end of the year). Apple just released their SDK (software development kit) to 3rd party developers yesterday, allowing people to release free or pay software to download for use on the phone. Plus, Apple is adding a host of corporate features that will heighten its appeal to businesses. The downside is that this is all coming in June, and with the possibility of a new 3G iPhone coming out by then, you should probably wait.

Um, A LARGE part of Iowa is covered by 3G either with Verizon or Sprint. You can drive down I-80 and be 3G pretty much across the whole state (at least east of Des Moines..I haven't gone west lately).

Also, I find it highly unlikley there's a buzz caused by conversations between networks. Maybe in the analog days, but these days the voice is (or at least should be) digital all the way through.