Iowa Wesleyan closing its doors

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Let me know what industries are going to replace this college in that community.

Population will be fine. Wal-Mart distribution center, health facility,strong professional community plus commuters to Burlington. Also young professionals from U of I find their way there. Small towns can rule. Strong schools. Okay,I’m off social media for a time….
Don't forget the Old Settlers Reunion...big money.

• Winner
Reactions: CyNews

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
She is about 5-6 years from retirement, but her scale maxed out at 14 years, so she has been at the top end for 10 years or better. She teaches in NC Iowa and classes are 30-40 per grade. My oldest had 33 graduate in his class and my daughter was just under 40. My youngest currently has maybe 30 in his class.

I emailed the super (We know each other fairly well and chat) what starting pay was. They are a little over 40k on the base and the rest of the conference is all around them give or take a couple grand except one was 45k beginning. This doesn't include the other things that they get from the state, bonuses, (wife gets some overtime for a few things), or other things like letting college kids observe in your class (all my wife has to do to get paid for this is log the hours that they show up.

Easiest way for teachers to lock down a job is to agree to coach some also. A couple sports can add around 3k each for being an assistant.

That's pretty good for a school that size.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That's pretty good for a school that size.
The superintendent for her district told me that schools in our area are pretty close. One thing that pulls average wages down (its an average of all the teachers) is that some schools will do things like early retirements to pull funds from a management fund so they can move money around and then hire younger teachers to pull the salary payments down. One thing to check is what is the experience of the average teacher along with what their average salary. My wife has people she teaches with that has never turned in their paperwork to get the BA + 15/20/30 or whatever they have. Most get their +'s just from their credits they need to do to keep their license. My wife got hers earlier because she did things for the school that paid her while at the same time gave her credits to count for it. So she boosted her pay and had the school pay her to do.

Reactions: NWICY and im4isu

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
A lot of these kids HAVEN'T played competitive sports since they were 5 so playing a few more years is a big draw. The liberal art colleges don’t have a lot of advantages over the Regent U’s but it’s one they exploit pretty well.
How I first read your reply lol

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Don't know about the other ones but I wouldn't be so confident about Wartburg. Their president back in the mid 2000's, Jack Ohle, put them in A LOT of debt and I know it was a struggle for at least a decade after his tenure. Don't have as close of connections now so maybe it's gotten substantially better but I doubt it.
Granted I live in NEIA, but Wartburg seems to still be very popular with local kids. The facilities are great, and it seems like you see people with Wartburg degrees doing well.

They just seem far more established and successful than the ones I mentioned as dicey

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Granted I live in NEIA, but Wartburg seems to still be very popular with local kids. The facilities are great, and it seems like you see people with Wartburg degrees doing well.

They just seem far more established and successful than the ones I mentioned as dicey
Dordt, may be the largest of those that you listed.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

A teacher with +20-30 at Gilbert 7-8 years in has a base of 55ish.

Roland story wages for similar experience is around 60k.

These are last year and many saw a 2-3% bump for this year and 3-4% for next year. So add 6% to the 60 and you get 63-64. Have a 15 year teacher with basic continueing Ed credits and no extra curricular or mentoring and they are at 70 to 70+ at these schools without graduate degrees.
The two schools you mentioned are AAA and AA sized schools, one that is getting a majority of its tax base from N. Ames, that is Gilbert and the other is within what 30 miles of Ames. These are rural schools only in name. Try looking at salaries in A and 1A school districts not close to a larger city like Ames or IC and you will find that most are topping the salary scale around mid to upper 50's, without extra duties like coaching. I am one of the highest paid non coaches in my district, small A, playing 8 man football. 34 years of teaching with a BA + 30, my salary is mid 50's. A long way from your 70 grand.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021

I went to the Buzz Levick basketball camp at Wartburg in the summer of 1972 right before my sophomore year in high school. I don't know back then if EIU, ISU or Drake had basketball camps. They weren't the big deal that they are today.

Reactions: agentbear

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown

It always seems like it's the schools with NAIA athletic affiliation that seem to go broke. I would guess most of the schools like Wartburg, Central, Simpson, and Upper Iowa will be fine. Who knows? I haven't figured out how the hell Graceland stays open.

Last edited:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
What are all their add ons that many districts don’t show on their schedule, ones the state gives under different “phases” as schools like to call them? Or are the called schedules? Need to look at the wifes pay stub again. These are just things the state does to bump wages that don’t require anything for the teacher to do.
At a school like Seymour, there are no add ons as you call them other than coaching salaries to the base. Two years ago, everyone in the state got another $1,000 in COVID funds, but you are really digging yourself into a hole here. In fact at Seymour, they do not even cover the entire dollar amount for single insurance, many schools do not.
The salary in the posted scale, is what you are earning, without doing something like coaching, summer school or extra duties.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The two schools you mentioned are AAA and AA sized schools, one that is getting a majority of its tax base from N. Ames, that is Gilbert and the other is within what 30 miles of Ames. These are rural schools only in name. Try looking at salaries in A and 1A school districts not close to a larger city like Ames or IC and you will find that most are topping the salary scale around mid to upper 50's, without extra duties like coaching. I am one of the highest paid non coaches in my district, small A, playing 8 man football. 34 years of teaching with a BA + 30, my salary is mid 50's. A long way from your 70 grand.
Apparently northern schools pay quite a bit more than southern. Mid 50s is a ways down the pay schedule for our A school and the list the superintendent sent me has is in the middle with a couple grand on each side except the top one which is about 5-6 grand higher.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
At a school like Seymour, there are no add ons as you call them other than coaching salaries to the base. Two years ago, everyone in the state got another $1,000 in COVID funds, but you are really digging yourself into a hole here. In fact at Seymour, they do not even cover the entire dollar amount for single insurance, many schools do not.
The salary in the posted scale, is what you are earning, without doing something like coaching, summer school or extra duties.
Well, I’m not digging a hole, just seem to be pointing out the cheapness of the southern schools in this state. That Seymour pay scale is awful. Whoever negotiated that for the teachers Union should be tarred and feathered for the crappy job they did.

Pulled up a couple schools up north that are class A schools not by what you would call wealthy centers. Will compare to Seymour since that is the south one that everyone has been using. (data using what the one link provided, which is slightly off what the local super showed me for a few schools, the local one read a couple grand light of what the local super says, but we will go with the link numbers)

Seymour Range 36,497 to 60,497, average 47,904. Average age of teacher 46.3

Lake Mills (my alma mater) range 37,243 to 88,982, Average 59,904. Average age of teacher 40.9

Rockford (8 man football so very small) range 38,670 to 99,500, Average 57,332. Average age of teacher 40.3

Lake Mills and Rockford would have average age of teachers half way to retirement so hallway through what Seymour would have for a pay scale. With average wages knocking on the door of 60k. Seymour teachers are 5-6 years older but make 10-12k less.

Looks like you may want to move north for your last 5 years to get a 15-20k boost if you are maxxing out at 55k.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
It always seems like it's the schools with NAIA athletic affiliation that seem to go broke. I would guess most of the schools like Wartburg, Central, Simpson, and Upper Iowa will be fine. Who knows? I've figured out how the hell Graceland stays open.
Willy Penn at least used to be in the same conference. Not to say the financials there are necessarily as strong as a result. They were always one of the 'worst' but my experience was 25+ years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: deadeyededric

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It always seems like it's the schools with NAIA athletic affiliation that seem to go broke. I would guess most of the schools like Wartburg, Central, Simpson, and Upper Iowa will be fine. Who knows? I've figured out how the hell Graceland stays open.
Right. The DII/DIII should be fine. Some NAIA too (Briar Cliff, Morningside, and Grandview). But most of the NAIA ones come off as shaky.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Well, I’m not digging a hole, just seem to be pointing out the cheapness of the southern schools in this state. That Seymour pay scale is awful. Whoever negotiated that for the teachers Union should be tarred and feathered for the crappy job they did.

Pulled up a couple schools up north that are class A schools not by what you would call wealthy centers. Will compare to Seymour since that is the south one that everyone has been using. (data using what the one link provided, which is slightly off what the local super showed me for a few schools, the local one read a couple grand light of what the local super says, but we will go with the link numbers)

Seymour Range 36,497 to 60,497, average 47,904. Average age of teacher 46.3

Lake Mills (my alma mater) range 37,243 to 88,982, Average 59,904. Average age of teacher 40.9

Rockford (8 man football so very small) range 38,670 to 99,500, Average 57,332. Average age of teacher 40.3

Lake Mills and Rockford would have average age of teachers half way to retirement so hallway through what Seymour would have for a pay scale. With average wages knocking on the door of 60k. Seymour teachers are 5-6 years older but make 10-12k less.

Looks like you may want to move north for your last 5 years to get a 15-20k boost if you are maxxing out at 55k.
There’s a MASSIVE economic gap between far southern Iowa and far northern Iowa across the board. Not surprised to see it expressed in teacher salaries.

Northern Iowa is Minnesota with a Republican governor. Southern Iowa is a few more counties of Missouri.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
There’s a MASSIVE economic gap between far southern Iowa and far northern Iowa across the board. Not surprised to see it expressed in teacher salaries.

Northern Iowa is Minnesota with a Republican governor. Southern Iowa is a few more counties of Missouri.
I can't speak for NE IA, but the northern 2-3 tiers of counties in north central Iowa and the southern 2-3 tiers in south central Minnesota really are no different. The land, the people in styles and beliefs, economies and other things you would not be able to tell the difference.

I know people who have done custom work in the southern two tiers and they say it's a different world down there in Ag.

Help Support Us

Become a patron