Iowa universities betting scandal

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
From the NCAA website...

"To protect the integrity of college athletics contests, NCAA regulations prohibit student-athletes from betting money on any sporting event (college, professional or otherwise) in which the NCAA conducts collegiate championships."

Pretty straight forward to me!!

And they all just look the other way when it comes to March Madness brackets... Athletes post them online even

• Winner
Reactions: 1776 and BoxsterCy

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
What if an Iowa men's basketball player is dating a women's basketball player? During the course of dinner or foreplay he pumps her for information about injuries, matchups, how practice is going or status of 2nd leading scorer's breakup with her boyfriend.

With a new sense of purpose the Iowa men's basketball player rolls out of bed, goes to his laptop and lays down a hundo on Iowa State.

Probably not a yawner for college athletic directors or the sports betting folks.
There is not one EIU player I would pump for information.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'm guessing it's not uncommon with how easy it is to gamble now and how it's advertised everywhere. I certainly hope our programs have been very vocal about avoiding it

Unless you run your mouth, couldn't any student athlete in the country be doing it without anyone knowing? Of course, guys that bet like to run their mouths about how smart they are (see numerous threads on CF over the years) so I guess if the student is winning he'd probably talk especially given a few drinkies.

The number of guys I knew in my 20's and 30's that bet on sports made me the odd guy out. That was years ago when it wasn't even legal in Minnesota (still isn't) and you had to use shady bookie guys in Minnesota to do it. Now it its easy peasy via an app on your phone, gotta be a LOT of young guys doing it, including student athletes.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Just watched WHO (channel 13) sports do a report this morning on the Iowa baseball team's big win over Ohio State. Of course, they made no mention of Iowa's star player being withheld from competition for the betting scandal.

Did they also forget to mention that the Big 10 sucks at baseball and nobody really cares other than douche Iowa fans?

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
50-60 years ago "agents" were positioned at every school to gather insider information. It was not unknown that the agent might be an insider. Why do you think the lines are so accurate. NFL responded somewhat with rules requiring some information be made public. NCAA took another blind eye. They spend a lot of money gathering information to feed into their computers. It is a science with a lot of money at stake.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Because it 'could' happen anywhere, that makes it no big deal?
It doesn't make it a non-issue.

But it isn't something that Cyclone fans should take pleasure in. When the Aidan Ralph story broke last week my Hawk friend was quick to mention and point out- what's up with Cyclone athletics?

Neither is a good look for Iowa or Iowa State, but come down to personal choices by individuals. The sports betting story is a bit different because there are rules that coaches and student-athletes must live by.

• Agree
Reactions: CyclonesRock

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Saying nothing about why he was suspended. The gambling storyline is hearsay
The posts that were reporting rumors of a gambling scandal were followed by the University's official statement indicating players are being withheld from competition due to possible NCAA violations.

You are correct that it is still speculation at this point, but it seems highly likely the statement is related to the gambling rumors.

herkyshere

May 5, 2023
So what is to it "new member?"
3 baseball players bet on Iowa to beat South Carolina in women’s basketball. Potentially (this part is strictly rumor at this point) a football player who transferred out bet the under of the Iowa-PSU game in 2021.

I used to be a member here, never posted much, went to reply to this to add some details and it said I didn’t have a membership, so I joined. I enjoy seeing the perspective from Iowa’s rivals on topics involving Iowa. Mostly I chuckle at nonsense, but that is no different than when I read Iowa’s message boards as well:)

• Friendly
Reactions: CyclonesRock

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
3 baseball players bet on Iowa to beat South Carolina in women’s basketball. Potentially (this part is strictly rumor at this point) a football player who transferred out bet the under of the Iowa-PSU game in 2021.

I used to be a member here, never posted much, went to reply to this to add some details and it said I didn’t have a membership, so I joined. I enjoy seeing the perspective from Iowa’s rivals on topics involving Iowa. Mostly I chuckle at nonsense, but that is no different than when I read Iowa’s message boards as well:)
So has Swarm named these players?

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Thats exactly what I’ve been saying.
200.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron