Iowa universities betting scandal

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I get it. They knew the rules. They broke the rules. I’m not even saying they don’t “deserve” to be punished in this circumstance.

I’m saying maintaining this policy and levying heavy punishments SHOULD be changed because they will hurt the sport. Do you or do you not believe that student-athletes are gambling in large amounts?
I don’t know the percentage of student athletes gambling so I have no idea. If the Iowa/ISU athletes get the hammer brought down you can be sure coaches and AD staff will be reading their players the riot act and it will go down dramatically.

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
Ok, I was about to respond to the "What will be the next major impact to society?" thread and say that I think that the fear of AI etc. is way overblown... but now my opinion is changing.

NO! this isn't a particularly well done "deep-fake". If you look at his mouth you can tell. It also doesn't pass the smell test at all.
AI vids will be to the Gen X generation as to online scams are to the boomers.

Reactions: jaj040 and Jer

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I don’t know the percentage of student athletes gambling so I have no idea. If the Iowa/ISU athletes get the hammer brought down you can be sure coaches and AD staff will be reading their players the riot act and it will go down dramatically.
I mentioned yesterday in a post, the NCAA conducted a study back in 2016 of student athletes and athletic department employees. At that time 25% of student-athletes bet on sport. With the growth of Apps and states legalizing, that number could even be higher today.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Ok, I was about to respond to the "What will be the next major impact to society?" thread and say that I think that the fear of AI etc. is way overblown... but now my opinion is changing.

NO! this isn't a particularly well done "deep-fake". If you look at his mouth you can tell. It also doesn't pass the smell test at all.
I was listening to it outside on my phone speaker when I first listened. I listened again to hear the audio difference. Still funny, though.

The way the U of I Athletic department handles PR, Kirk making a statement like this wouldn’t be a complete shock.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I mentioned yesterday in a post, the NCAA conducted a study back in 2016 of student athletes and athletic department employees. At that time 25% of student-athletes bet on sport. With the growth of Apps and states legalizing, that number could even be higher today.
Yeah and they were all in violation then. Btw that study has a real doozy of a finding that to me thinks the entire study is BS.

“Among student-athletes who have ever gambled for money, the largest reported one-day loss is less than $10 for nearly one-third of men and more than onehalf of women. Only 35% of men and 13% of women gamblers have ever lost more than $50 in a day.”

• Agree
Reactions: 1776

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Yeah and they were all in violation then. Btw that study has a real doozy of a finding that to me thinks the entire study is BS.

“Among student-athletes who have ever gambled for money, the largest reported one-day loss is less than $10 for nearly one-third of men and more than onehalf of women. Only 35% of men and 13% of women gamblers have ever lost more than $50 in a day.”
Why does that paragraph seem unusual to you? I could see that being accurate

• Wow

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Why does that paragraph seem unusual to you? I could see that being accurate
No one who sports bet has ever had their highest loss day be $10 or less. Unless they legit placed one wager and call themselves betters that’s practically impossible for 33% of men and 50% of women who bet in that demo. It’s an immediate red flag

• Agree

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
No one who sports bet has ever had their highest loss day be $10 or less. Unless they legit placed one wager and call themselves betters that’s practically impossible for 33% of men and 50% of women who bet in that demo. It’s an immediate red flag
For me that indicates a lot of people just tried it on a limited basis. They did it just once and didn't bet again or laid down some extra cash on the rare occasion.

Also could have bet on a one-off event (Kentucky Derby) or something like an entry fee into an NCAA Tournament Pool where a small # of people in the pool win.

Could also be that people taking survey didn't want to admit betting more if they doubted anonymity of survey.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
So what if a college football player bets on the super bowl/nba games/etc. and makes thousands of dollars?
Great for the player but illegal currently, so what happens if the player loses a couple of grand? So should they look at this rule, Ya, they should, but until they do, it's illegal, every player knows the rules and are told what the rule is. If you continue to break it, then what happens is on you, and no one else.

Reactions: Kinch

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Lots of people will throw $5 or $10 bet down on a game. That’s usually my bet increments unless I’m feeling very confident in a game or it’s a big event like The Super Bowl.

Are there people who bet more? Yes of course. But most people are not Gil from the Simpsons

Edited to add a source. Here’s a link saying the most common wager is less than $10-up to $25. Also of note, the article states over 53% of 21-29 year olds in their sample bet sports online.

Last edited:

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Lots of people will throw $5 or $10 bet down on a game. That’s usually my bet increments unless I’m feeling very confident in a game or it’s a big event like The Super Bowl.

Are there people who bet more? Yes of course. But most people are not Gil from the Simpsons

Edited to add a source. Here’s a link saying the most common wager is less than $10-up to $25. Also of note, the article states over 53% of 21-29 year olds in their sample bet sports online.
First that is a great article, learned some new things today.

Second, as you mention the most common wager is 10-25 but that’s a single wager. So basically any of those wagers lose and that’s more than the $10 or less highest loss the athletes were reporting.

Btw I’m sure the numbers are actually probably more in your favor for the NCAA athletes then what is reported but when their is a massive completely false part of that study it throws the rest of it into question.

TrailCy

Mar 3, 2021
How do you know?

I know plenty of people who put $5 on Caesar App then never use it again for whatever reason. I can think of 5 people right off the top of my head.

• Haha

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Correct - it could be that there are no NCAA violations. In fact, I bet when it's all said and done most of the gambling will have been on pro sports. For those where that's the case they commit an Iowa misdemeanor and commit no NCAA violations. Fine a few hundred bucks and move on.
Betting n pro sports is an ncaa violation.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
If you wanted to bring down the SEC, this is their soft underbelly for a sting operation. I would say nearly every school is susceptible to fix games or props. The Mississippi schools, then Georgia, then Vanderbilt. And we already saw what happened to Alabama. In a few years, when Texas is in that conference, them too (they got caught in a FBI sting operation for pay for scholarships). Male swimmers and baseball players would be the easiest targets. I know athletes in every school gambles, but I wouldn’t put it past some SEC coaches to bring to a highler level.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Back in the old days a group of us each pooled $10 together and the guy who knew the bookie placed the call. Then we all split it whether up or down. Sorry/not sorry I didn't make your definition as a gambler.