Iowa State would compete in Big Ten

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Lived in Chicago for 14 years, met one NW football fan who was a diehard and grad. Met ZERO Illinois fans, zero in 14 years. Met dozens and dozens of fans from about every other Big Ten team.

Chicago is the geographic hub of Big Ten, but people from Chicago generally act as if college sports don't exist. They'd rather pay $300 to watch the Bears be horrible than pay 15 bucks to watch a ranked college team. There are tons of college football fans in Chicago, none of them are from Chicago and none of them like Illinois or NW.
Live in Chicago and work in the North Shore for the last 7 years and I still haven't met 1 diehard NW fan. However, I know all kinds of diehard Michigan, Indiana, Mich St, Iowa, Notre Dame, and Wisconsin fans. It's really weird.
It would be like somebody living in Des Moines and working in Ames and not knowing 1 diehard ISU fan, but knowing a lot of Nebraska, KSU, KU, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota fans.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Live in Chicago and work in the North Shore for the last 7 years and I still haven't met 1 diehard NW fan. However, I know all kinds of diehard Michigan, Indiana, Mich St, Iowa, Notre Dame, and Wisconsin fans. It's really weird.
It would be like somebody living in Des Moines and working in Ames and not knowing 1 diehard ISU fan, but knowing a lot of Nebraska, KSU, KU, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota fans.

Lack of Illinois fans is even more odd because at least NW is a smaller school. I knew Illinois grads, they just dislike college sports and are much more passionate about watching the Bears lose. Even when Illinois made the final four in hoops it barely registered.

There really are more Iowa fans in Chicago than NW and Illinois fans, and Iowa may be the 5th most popular Big Ten team in town. I'll always remember the night there were 1000s of shocked and depressed Ohio State fans all over town as NW kicked their butt, was pretty hilarious.

If I had to rank it I'd go:
1. Michigan
2. Ohio State
3. Wisconsin
4. Notre Dame (think this was much higher 10-15 years ago)
5. tie Iowa/Michigan State

7. after those 6 teams it just drops off, I actually started seeing a lot of Nebraska fans before I moved and even they seem more visible than ILL/NW

Last edited:

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Watching Iowa/NW have right now and it's a joke. Iowa punishing a RANKED Northwestern team with a 3rd string RB... NW is scoreless for almost 6 quarters of football. These are Big 10 heavyweights? Iowa State is on the same level as Iowa talent wise. This is only proving to me how much more difficult it is to win in the Big 12. Iowa State wins 8 games with Iowa's schedule, MINIMUM

Please.
For the love of God.
Shut the **** up.
Sincerely.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Please.
For the love of God.
Shut the **** up.
Sincerely.

He has a point other than the 8 games claim. This team certainly wouldn't go 2-10 playing a Big Ten West schedule with Michigan, MSU and OSU off the schedule. They could very well still miss a bowl though. We'd have already played a competitive team against the best team in our division, that's a gigantic gap from the 9 game schedule we face.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
He has a point other than the 8 games claim. This team certainly wouldn't go 2-10 playing a Big Ten West schedule with Michigan, MSU and OSU off the schedule. They could very well still miss a bowl though. We'd have already played a competitive team against the best team in our division, that's a gigantic gap from the 9 game schedule we face.
Why does it matter, they beat us at our place, excited to hear the Hawks to the playoff talk...fun times

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Northwestern only down 58 points now the last two weeks combined. I'm thinking 4 ranked teams is more than enough for the 14 Big Ten squads.

M3MEPLEASE

Sep 4, 2009
Watching this Iowa game, offensive futility is all I see. Good defense is just an illusion due to the Big 10 brand

Uh huh, which explains why the Big 12 does so well in major bowl games...not

Last time the Big 12 won a NC their teams actually PLAYED defense

Oh and one of these things is not like the other...

2015-10-12-11_50_21-tcu-2015-schedule-horned-frogs-home-and-away-espn-png.3668

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Folks, Iowa is good.

I have to agree. If they had a more consistent kicker they might end up with a special year. As it is, we need to be prepared for them to be in the B1G championship game. Going to be a loooooonnnnggg bowl season.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
0-1 vs. the Big Ten West
0-1 vs. the MAC

Would totally roll in the B10W

Wouldn't roll the B10W, but that is vs the easily best team in B10W and easily best team in MAC.

Purdue, Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers...these are very bad teams, perhaps bad like ISU but nonetheless bad. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern...these are incredibly average teams and possibly bad, Northwestern looks bad right now.

It's a crap conference outside of Michigan and Ohio State with Michigan State probably competitive but not elite, they could prove me wrong in a few hours but I'm thinking this conference looks like a two team B10E with Iowa making layups to the B10W crown.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
The big 10 has some of the best defenses in the country. Idk how ISU would hold up each year vs the softies the big 12 put out. ISU would be a 3 big ten win a year type team.

Big 10 defenses are great, until they aren't playing Big 10 teams. There is just no where near the level of play makers on most Big 10 teams that you see in the Big 12. Richardson looks better than most of the Bis 10 quarterbacks I've seen this year.

Iowa must have the worst power 5 schedule of all time this year considering this Northwestern team might be the best team they play ALL YEAR. That is pathetic.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I have to agree. If they had a more consistent kicker they might end up with a special year. As it is, we need to be prepared for them to be in the B1G playoffs. Going to be a loooooonnnnggg bowl season.

They are kind of back to the better KF years. I'm not entirely sure what happened the past few years vs this year, their schedule was a layup last year as well. CJ is good and makes big timely plays which certainly helps but it's not like he's hitting 60-70% completion like many B12 qbs do.