Iowa State Daily - Sunglasses article

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Their website says that. So they are most certainly claiming it. And I'm personally a young ISU entrepreneur as well that does things the right away instead of lying straight to my customers faces about a higher cause to the business (helping the environment).

It says they were DESIGNED with mountain bamboo (as the article states) not produced and the article explained why and how they hope to produce with Indonesian bamboo in the next 3-5 months...fail on all counts

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
It says they were DESIGNED with mountain bamboo (as the article states) not produced and the article explained why and how they hope to produce with Indonesian bamboo in the next 3-5 months...fail on all counts

You are in the wrong tense. They design their frames from bamboo that is grown in a farm. Not designed from bamboo that has grown.

Also, shouldn't they have that clause about being made in China on their website? If they are saying it is made from Javanese bamboo but it really isn't, then they should state that. The example that comes to mind is Chipotle having a sign that says the beef or steak or whatever is not hormone free temporarily when they can't get the hormone free stuff.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
If I bought high end sunglasses and later found out it was all a lie, I would care. Their customers buy into the marketing and helping the environment, not the sunglasses.

And I will nit comment on the jealousy comment because it was just to rile me up.

You're right, environmentalism has never before been used to con pretentious consumers into buying over priced goods. Companies like Whole Foods truly do love the environment and in no way use their very public and marketed eco-friendly stances to cultivate a reputation that gets upper middle class idiots to spend $8 on an apple that will rot 3 days later in their fridge. The "Go Green!" market is one of the easiest groups of people to exploit in marketing, I give kudos to these two for spotting the opportunity. But yeah, you keep fighting the good fight here, God forbid their little business venture uses strategies that every damn company uses.

And no, it wasn't meant to rile you up, you've already shown to be irrationally riled up all on your own. I truly think you are jealous that a peer came up with a simple idea that put a few dollars in their pocket and you seemingly haven't yet. Instead of wasting your time with your little witch hunt here, maybe come up with your own idea. You know, just a thought.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
You're right, environmentalism has never before been used to con pretentious consumers into buying over priced goods. Companies like Whole Foods truly do love the environment and in no way use their very public and marketed eco-friendly stances to cultivate a reputation that gets upper middle class idiots to spend $8 on an apple that will rot 3 days later in their fridge. The "Go Green!" market is one of the easiest groups of people to exploit in marketing, I give kudos to these two for spotting the opportunity. But yeah, you keep fighting the good fight here, God forbid their little business venture uses strategies that every damn company uses.

And no, it wasn't meant to rile you up, you've already shown to be irrationally riled up all on your own. I truly think you are jealous that a peer came up with a simple idea that put a few dollars in their pocket and you seemingly haven't yet. Instead of wasting your time with your little witch hunt here, maybe come up with your own idea. You know, just a thought.

You couldn't be more wrong on the bolded part. Oh boy.

Whole Foods is probably the wrong example. John MacKay, the founder has been a vegan forever and advocates all the time for organic/health stuff.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
You are in the wrong tense. They design their frames from bamboo that is grown in a farm. Not designed from bamboo that has grown.

Also, shouldn't they have that clause about being made in China on their website? If they are saying it is made from Javanese bamboo but it really isn't, then they should state that. The example that comes to mind is Chipotle having a sign that says the beef or steak or whatever is not hormone free temporarily when they can't get the hormone free stuff.
No they produce frames grown on a farm we have no idea what kind of bamboo they use to design frames with. My guess is they worded it this way to mislead maybe but not lie.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I don't care about all this I just need someone to tell me if these sunglasses will go with my jean shorts?

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Yep those look more like them. Who knows but now you have a little something to back up your hunch.

I can't believe you were naive enough to believe their marketing campaign in the first place.

Kudos cyclones2015 for calling them out on their B.S.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I am with 2015 on this. Just a bunch of crap marketing. I'll be impressed when they announce how they will make the lenses out of bamboo.

:skeptical:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
i am going to be sending a pm to 2015 so we can market truly sustainable sunglasses made from caribou antler! And we are going to donate a percentage of our profits to Inuits in Alaska! Yeah, that's the ticket! No petro products, no rare metals, all 100% dead genuine animal stuff!

640px-Inuit_snow_goggles.jpg

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
You couldn't be more wrong on the bolded part. Oh boy.

Whole Foods is probably the wrong example. John MacKay, the founder has been a vegan forever and advocates all the time for organic/health stuff.

It's the perfect example, you just aren't picking up the simplicity of it.

Is the founder of the company a vegan that lives a healthy lifestyle? Sure. Is there a not so hidden agenda why he makes sure he fits that into everything he puts out to the media? Absolutely. I had to put together a rather large case study on this topic for a graduate course a few years back, Whole Foods is one of the most manipulative companies out there and they are really, really good at it. I mean hell, look at you, you are all over a couple college kids about their environmental claims but you don't even question a multi-billion dollar publicly traded company because the founder consists on twigs and ******* berries. Heh.

What was this about again, glasses of some sort?

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
i am going to be sending a pm to 2015 so we can market truly sustainable sunglasses made from caribou antler! And we are going to donate a percentage of our profits to Inuits in Alaska! Yeah, that's the ticket! No petro products, no rare metals, all 100% dead genuine animal stuff!

View attachment 29213

That better be only 100% free range caribou antlers.

I'd take the rest of the corpse and grind it into a paste, toss it in some cheap plastic containers and sell it as a 'Wild Alaskan Hummus Variant' ('variant' of course in small print) for $20 a half pint. Yuppies will be throwing cash at you faster than you can catch it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
q6DTkwx.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron