Iowa State as a team at Nationals

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think we have a very good shot at getting 4 of 5 thru the 1st round, with Finch having the toughest match.

We need to be motivated and aggressive and forget about the Big 12's. Pull a couple of mild upset and we could really build on the future.

We as a team got pretty good seeds, especially if you look a Missouri's draws. I expect everybody to win 1 match a Nationals and nobody done the 1st day.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I think we have a very good shot at getting 4 of 5 thru the 1st round, with Finch having the toughest match.

We need to be motivated and aggressive and forget about the Big 12's. Pull a couple of mild upset and we could really build on the future.

We as a team got pretty good seeds, especially if you look a Missouri's draws. I expect everybody to win 1 match a Nationals and nobody done the 1st day.

Optimism is awesome but I'm not holding my breath on most of this coming to pass.

cyclone1306

May 1, 2009
Its been a rough year. Everyone is very banged up and most havent survived the season. A nice showing at NCAA's would be nice going into the off season. I was optimistic going into the BIG 12's and we got hammered. So i will try one more time and I am optimistic we will get a 3 AA's.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Your realism is in stark contrast to the OP

Realism? Who do you think doesn't have a great chance to at least go 1-1 on Thursday? Have you even looked at the draws? Buf didn't make any wild predictions there. 4/5 in the first round is a little optimistic, but hardly unreasonably so.

Last edited:

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I am optimistic we will get a 3 AA's.

If we had Spangler and Ward I would agree. But I think two AA's is our best scenario. Sorenson is a given but I think our best chance otherwise is for Goettl (could go 0-2, could AA) or Beard for a second AA. I think Finch and Gibson top out at R12.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
If we had Spangler and Ward I would agree. But I think two AA's is our best scenario. Sorenson is a given but I think our best chance otherwise is for Goettl (could go 0-2, could AA) or Beard for a second AA. I think Finch and Gibson top out at R12.

This is probably what others are getting at. Goettle "could AA"? Anyone in the tourney "could AA" but his chances are very slim. He went 11-11 this season.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
This is probably what others are getting at. Goettle "could AA"? Anyone in the tourney "could AA" but his chances are very slim. He went 11-11 this season.

And of those 11 loses 10 were against guys that also qualified and the 11th was against the guy who is the #1 seed in the DIII tournament this weekend (finished 2nd, had two D-III championships under his belt already before tonight). He has no losses against guys who could qualify and didn't. He also has wins against 6 guys who qualified for nationals. This includes a win over the #2 seed in his bracket. Goettl has the talent to AA. That isn't an opinion, that is a fact. He has demonstrated that with his performance throughout the year.

Goettl is inconsistent which is why he could go 0-2. But if he wrestles like he did at Midlands he will AA. What is your reasoning for not thinking that is the case? He has no bad losses and lots of good wins. I'd compare him to our Basketball team this year: He has the ability in any given match to get the win, but he also sometimes has losses that you can't explain.

Can you explain to me why you think saying that Goettl "Might go 0-2, might AA" is an inappropriate assessment?

Last edited:

cyclone1306

May 1, 2009
I said "Optimistic". IF we get three they will come from Sorenson, Beard and Gibson. I dont see Goettl getting it done.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Is that a 6-10 record against fellow national qualifiers? I don't find that encouraging.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Is that a 6-10 record against fellow national qualifiers? I don't find that encouraging.

Only takes 4 wins to AA, He's shown he can beat at least 6 of the other guys in the field, including the #2 seed. I don't get why you are saying it's impossible that he even has a chance to AA. Nobody is saying he is a sure thing, or even likely. Sorenson is our only likely AA. Goettl just has the upside to AA if he wrestles as well as he has shown himself capable of so far this season.

Last edited: