Iowa juco recruit

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
So Cole moves into Tate's role (like a pre-injury Cole), and Archie/Cougill up to Cole's old role? In Lick's offense you really only need two true bangers, instead of 3-4. The other big needs to just be able to shoot, pass, and be somewhat athletic? IS that right? Seems like JVB would have been a perfect fit, wonder why Lick passed.

That sounds about right.

Gatens, Fuller, and Davis fit the role as "bigs who can shoot". Not huge bodies, but are solid inside. Gatens is probably the least like a forward out of those three, but Davis/Fuller are going to be solid at that sort of position, IMO.

Luke3485

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines
There is a solid foundation for Lickliter's system in Gatens, Kelly, Cole, maybe Peterson, maybe Fuller and probably Tucker. If they could just add one scoring big man to go along with Cole who is a good defender and a good rebounder, I think they would be pretty successful next year.

Why do you have Peterson and Fuller as maybes? Is there talk of them leaving? The few times I watched Iowa this year I thought Fuller had the potential to be a pretty solid player down the road.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
This is all my opinion, but Davis and Gatens seem too small to play in the Big 10 at the four for more than a few minutes. Sure they can do it, but over a 20 game conference season, will that line-up achieve an upper-half finish? If Iowa was good everywhere else it could work, like OK-State. I see the same thing at ISU. Having players slightly overmatched, like Lucca (would be a good role player on a good team), isn't solely debilitating, but when the other players around him aren't great either, the final product just doesn't cut it. ISU and Iowa have a similar problem of lots of equally average role players, which is why I think both programs need to "shed" some. If Palmer could get his **** together Iowa could be a "March Situation" team. Same with Garret for ISU. Disagree?

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Southernhawk, the one aspect i think we questioned about McDermott i think is also valid with Coach Lick....

Can/Will they recruit Big 10/Big 12 caliber ballplayers? I think Iowa has some talent, but, is it the type of talent that can compete night in and night out in the big 10. I think we've seen the problem with the guys that McDermott was bringing in cannot run his style in the big 12. I truly believe that having been in the league now a couple of years, Mac has seen his recruits just didnt stack up to the rest of the league and he had to target better players to compete.

I think this could be a similar question and comparison - not on any one player, but more so on the roster in general. Each schollie has to be used wisely because as ISU has found out, you never know when your best player will leave and suddenly your left with someone in the starting lineup that has no business in the big 12. After watching ISU this year, i can confidently say that we had at least 4 players that should not have seen significant minutes in either league.

Is Lick recruiting the guys that will enable you to compete against and win against teams recruiting very good classes like ohio st, minnesota, mich and of course mich st.....those schools are signing 4-5* kids regularly....just a question as to overall talent not making any judgements about the hawks....

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Just take a look at all the Div I schools besides ISU that were recruiting Dendy:
1. Missouri
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma
4. South Carolina

Now take a look at the list of schools that Iowa had to beat out to get Archie:

Interesting.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Just take a look at all the Div I schools besides ISU that were recruiting Dendy:
1. Missouri
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma
4. South Carolina

Now take a look at the list of schools that Iowa had to beat out to get Archie:

Interesting.

False, but OK. Archie mentioned in an article that he was being recruited by other BCS schools.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
False, but OK. Archie mentioned in an article that he was being recruited by other BCS schools.

His scout.com profile shows no schools other than Iowa.

But his rivals.com profile does show interest, but no offers, from Fordham and IPFW. Awesome.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Why do you have Peterson and Fuller as maybes? Is there talk of them leaving? The few times I watched Iowa this year I thought Fuller had the potential to be a pretty solid player down the road.

As far as I know everyone is coming back. I said maybe just because they need to improve on turnover's and Fuller needs to work on his defense if they are going to be solid contributors. "Potential" was the key word in your post; Fuller does have potential. He is athletic and he is about 6'6" and he has shown flashes of being a legit scoring threat. He actually shoots better from 3 than I thought he would. I have high hopes for him because he does add much needed athleticism to their lineup. I could see him potentially starting at the 4 next year and moving Gatens to the 3.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
His scout.com profile shows no schools other than Iowa.

But his rivals.com profile does show interest, but no offers, from Fordham and IPFW. Awesome.

And premium information states otherwise. Glad to know you at least tried to do some research this time there.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I talked to a buddy of mine today who has been a part of the Iowa basketball team for the past 4 years. 2 w/ Alford and 2 w/ Lick. He said and I quote, "I like Lick and like the staff. They are nice people and good coaches and have treated me well. But I don't know if they can get it done. They are content on recruiting Horizon league players. All we keep hearing about is doing it the Butler way. There isn't one guy coming in next year that is going to make an impact in the Big 10. We need better athletes and players."

No lie

I'm going to go ahead and file this under the "I expect Stanzi to be replaced" rumor-mongering that D UP Clones is fond of.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Or in other words, Archie had no offers other than Iowa.

Thanks for playing.

In other words, you have no clue what you're talking about. Stick to making predictions that don't come true. IE Iowa's oline would suck, Greene would suck, ISU would have better running backs, etc...

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
That sounds about right.

Gatens, Fuller, and Davis fit the role as "bigs who can shoot". Not huge bodies, but are solid inside. Gatens is probably the least like a forward out of those three, but Davis/Fuller are going to be solid at that sort of position, IMO.

Davis is a guard no matter how you slice him. Do you have him confused with somebody?

acody

Nov 25, 2006
So, he averaged 8.3 and 6 per game? AGAINST JUCO COMPETITION? According to 99% of the posters here, he's automatically garbage then. Afterall, Archie averaged that too. Nevermind the fact he was injured much of the year last year.

Jeremy, since this is not the rivals section, why don't you delete these chickenhawk flamers? Afterall, you've set up a special section for just this type of debate. Isn't that where it belongs?

Help Support Us

Become a patron