Iowa High School Football Playoffs

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
What pisses me off about this picture is that almost no other 8 man teams have numbers this strong. Don't tell me that the small private schools don't have a huge advantage.

They didn't always have those numbers. Then they started winning and winning championships. At that point, every kid in the school probably wanted to join the team.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Does the Iowa HS Assoc have this info on their website? I'm curious how close Pekin was to accomplishing this on their state title team around '98.

I was at their title game. Had a running back named Sabiosky or something.

They got lit up the year before by Wapsie Valley and came back in '98 with no questions asked.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I bet that would be right around average numbers for a class A school.

Some quick math. Don't know how these numbers compare to other schools.

Found an article that stated Don Bosco's enrollment at 111 students this year.
Assuming 50% male = 55(.5) males
31 players on the team = 56% of males participating in football.

• Informative
Reactions: isumellie

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix

WH didn't play a very clean game - lots of penalties and turnovers - but it was enough to get the W.

The Grundy Center QB was an elusive little dude. The dropped 4th down pass to effectively end the game is going to stick with the receiver for awhile.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Does the Iowa HS Assoc have this info on their website? I'm curious how close Pekin was to accomplishing this on their state title team around '98.

I doubt if Pekin had all their backs reach those numbers, the Saboski kid had over 2,000 himself, but the others did not get enough carries to reach that number. They also had the 50 point rule those years, and many of their games did not last much past half time.

T. Stone told me after the season that this team was the first team he ever had that every back could score every time they touched the ball. The FB was the best nose guard in the district, and only played there ever other set of downs and the Saboski kid only played offense.

Best smaller school team I ever saw play, and I saw them 3 times live and plenty on film. The team I was coaching made it too halftime, and started the second half, but it ended the first play Pekin got the ball.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
WH didn't play a very clean game - lots of penalties and turnovers - but it was enough to get the W.

The Grundy Center QB was an elusive little dude. The dropped 4th down pass to effectively end the game is going to stick with the receiver for awhile.

GC looked like the better team. The blindside block that was called was the game changer. GC played an even sloppier game than WH. Some odd play calling by GC and trying to hit the home run when a double for an easy first down was there. Shot themselves in the foot.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
GC looked like the better team. The blindside block that was called was the game changer. GC played an even sloppier game than WH. Some odd play calling by GC and trying to hit the home run when a double for an easy first down was there. Shot themselves in the foot.

Why did GC not go for two after they scored near the end of the 3rd quarter? I thought that was odd in a low scoring game.

I thought WH played sloppy, and that GC executed poorly.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Why did GC not go for two after they scored near the end of the 3rd quarter? I thought that was odd in a low scoring game.

I thought WH played sloppy, and that GC executed poorly.

No idea. First time ive seen them so I don’t know their MO. Had a FG kicker so getting within 3 would have been big for them. WH played how they generally do. They carry the ball low and put it on the ground 3 times a game or so from what i know.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I doubt if Pekin had all their backs reach those numbers, the Saboski kid had over 2,000 himself, but the others did not get enough carries to reach that number. They also had the 50 point rule those years, and many of their games did not last much past half time.

That's why I wondered how close they got. Pekin had two 1st Team RB and one 2nd Team RB. I'm guessing over the course of a 13 game schedule, even when they were up by 50, the third one got close to a 1,000 yards.

Edit

Maybe Sobaski was the only first teamer. I've seen two different sites list two at RB and one at RB/one at LB.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
For those in central Iowa the 3A title game is on channel 17-3 due to NFL game.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
That's why I wondered how close they got. Pekin had two 1st Team RB and one 2nd Team RB. I'm guessing over the course of a 13 game schedule, even when they were up by 50, the third one got close to a 1,000 yards.

Edit

Maybe Sobaski was the only first teamer. I've seen two different sites list two at RB and one at RB/one at LB.

As great as the Sobaski kid was, he did not lead the state in rushing for the class, the kid from Bedford did. In the final, he scored the first time Bedford had the ball on a long run. I bet that was the only time that Pekin trailed the entire year.

Pekin was up by over 40 at half. I think it was the first championship game that ended early because of the 50 point rule.

• Informative
Reactions: IASTATE07

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Dowling is going to destroy Valley. No one can compete with them. They'd be good regardless but when you're essentially the central Iowa all star team nobody stands a chance.

Hell their ******* hawk tailback left a state semi final team to join them. Good luck everybody else.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron