Iowa High School Football Playoffs

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
Every year they have amazing teams of destiny, that end up getting splattered by Valley and Dowling. Last year's Cedar Falls team was the best example of this.

Cedar Falls got splattered last year? Wasnt it a really close game, decided in 4th quarter?

The two years before that, West High played Dowling really tough. Had best skill positions and speed, and more than held their own against the 280+ lb OL Dowling had. But two muffed punts were huge factors last year and 0 points off 4 trips inside 15yd line the year before sealed their fate.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I would think they would do well against most teams through 2A. First team in state history to have three backs in the same year rush for over 1,000 yards. After today the full back is over 2,000 the wing back and half back are just over 1,000. Pretty impressive.
I’m pretty positive an Aplington-Parkersburg team did that in Coach Thomas’s last season

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I’m pretty positive an Aplington-Parkersburg team did that in Coach Thomas’s last season
I thought I remembered that being a pretty big deal. And IIRC (looking at quik stats as well, the best or second best RB got hurt the last half of the season and didn’t play a whole lot. Looks like AP’s QB ran for an additional 600 as well

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
IMO it is the small school 8 man teams that take it the hardest when schools drop classes. The idea that Audubon, a town that has close to 2,000 people, is a county seat and has as hospital is playing 8 man football is embarrassing when their competition is made up of teams of towns with a combined population of 600.

The 8 man league is being abused by schools looking for success due to their class size advantage / or private Catholic school recruiting.

8 man sucks. Games last FOREVER!! Get rid of it and force these schools consolidate their football teams (like Sigourney Keota).

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Every year they have amazing teams of destiny, that end up getting splattered by Valley and Dowling. Last year's Cedar Falls team was the best example of this.

Was the opposite in the 90's. Don't know if it will change back though.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Cedar Falls got splattered last year? Wasnt it a really close game, decided in 4th quarter?

The two years before that, West High played Dowling really tough. Had best skill positions and speed, and more than held their own against the 280+ lb OL Dowling had. But two muffed punts were huge factors last year and 0 points off 4 trips inside 15yd line the year before sealed their fate.

Yeah you're right, it was close. I just know a couple friends from CF who were talking all year about that team, too much talent for anyone to handle, might be the best 4A team in state history, etc., and they got in against a pretty ordinary Dowling squad and lost.