Iowa Football Recruiting

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Legend, how is this any different than every other year in recruiting? Iowa locks in some good early recruits, gets an early high rating, then slows down and ends up 10-15 spots higher than ISU.

No different at all for Iowa. We will finish in the low 40's or high 30's like we usually do. I'm not sitting here bragging that we are #8 nationally, because I know we won't finish anywhere near that.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
(Checks calendar) Yep it’s February.

Also...BCS? What year do you think this is?

Ok, ok, P5 offers then, is that better?

My bigger point is that is kind of a disappointing start recruiting wise for ISU, no real way to sugar coat that. I mean taking a QB commit this early who is 6' tall and has 0 P5 offers is confusing at best.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So you are crapping on a 4* with multiple P5 offers. What must you think of the 4 ISU recruits that have a combined P5 offer list consisting of ISU and and 1 Louisville offer. LOL.

Sounds like Sean Foster to me. Legacy recruit that we didn't want

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

My bigger point is that is kind of a disappointing start recruiting wise for ISU, no real way to sugar coat that. I mean taking a QB commit this early who is 6' tall and has 0 P5 offers is confusing at best.
Ahem, he’s 6’1 and it’s quite apparent that ISU really likes him. No brainer.

Much like ISU’s past 4-5 classes these lowly rated kids will end up being the best players in the class and/or sky rocket up the ratings lists.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Ahem, he’s 6’1 and it’s quite apparent that ISU really likes him. No brainer.

Much like ISU’s past 4-5 classes these lowly rated kids will end up being the best players in the class and/or sky rocket up the ratings lists.

That commit article for Wright said 6', so that is what I went by.

Who was like that under CMC so far? Early commits with no offers that ended up being the best players? I don't follow ISU recruiting enough to know that list.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
It is. But it's also understandable that Hawk fans would be excited about how theirs is shaping up and having a national guy like Lemming making positive comments. Clone fans would be excited about that too. Now throwing it in your rivals face, you have to expect to get some shade thrown at you and that's understood as well.

Tom Lemming has been fired up about hawkeye recruiting since the dawn of time.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

IMO iowa fans should be the last ones questioning getting commits from undervalued guys. They've made a living off of it. How many offers did Purdy have at this point? Maybe Boise St. And he's a better QB than iowa has had since probably Brad Banks if not Chuck Long. Campbell has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That commit article for Wright said 6', so that is what I went by.

Who was like that under CMC so far? Early commits with no offers that ended up being the best players? I don't follow ISU recruiting enough to know that list.
David Montgomery and Hakeem Butler were both severely under recruited guys. Hakeem didn't get really any other offers from big schools until signing day.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
IMO iowa fans should be the last ones questioning getting commits from undervalued guys. They've made a living off of it. How many offers did Purdy have at this point? Maybe Boise St. And he's a better QB than iowa has had since probably Brad Banks if not Chuck Long. Campbell has earned the benefit of the doubt.
You make several good points that I agree with. I think some of the questioning comes due to the sheer number of offers that the Clones put out there.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018

Yeah, you really shouldn't question the finding and developing of undervalued guys from Iowa and Wisconsin. Those programs have a long history of doing just that, finding and developing players. CMC is much newer to this, doesn't have the long history of getting results from guys like this.

As far as Purdy goes, I have been told here that he had a Alabama offer, so I don't think you can call him some under the radar guy.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You make several good points that I agree with. I think some of the questioning comes due to the sheer number of offers that the Clones put out there.
That's a moot point though. We were 18th in the nation last year as far as scholarship offers go.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah, you really shouldn't question the finding and developing of undervalued guys from Iowa and Wisconsin. Those programs have a long history of doing just that, finding and developing players. CMC is much newer to this, doesn't have the long history of getting results from guys like this.

As far as Purdy goes, I have been told here that he had a Alabama offer, so I don't think you can call him some under the radar guy.

He had an offer from Bama in January, and it's debatable if it was even a committable offer. They were looking for a backup just in case Hurts bolted. Pretty sure Bama also offered a QB that chose an Ivy League school in the same timeframe. Personally, if you are a 3 star kid, I don't know why you'd go there to be Tua's backup, because they are going to bring in a 5 star to replace him every year. I do know that A&M wanted Purdy bad, but Jimbo was brand new there.

BTW, you are 100% wrong on Campbell. He's done this a lot longer than you think. He had some really good players at Toledo like Kareem Hunt that all of the Big 10 schools passed on. Just because he's not old like Kirk Ferentz doesn't mean that he doesn't have experience finding and developing talent.