***Iowa Dual (Saturday, Dec 10th)***

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
btw. When I say scrap this year I'm only referring to pulling anyone's redshirt. I'm still cheering for our guys competing this year. I'm going to StLou and wear my ISU gear while expecting individual titles (PD3) and awards.

Go Cyclones!

Reactions: PD2

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Anyone know if we will be able to watch matches eventually? The Colston match is very intriguing and I would love to see it.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I don't like pulling redshirts based on desperation (Colbray) or just because a guy looks good in the room (Meeks). But if a guy has shown on the mat he's the best at a given weight and wants to wrestle I'm totally okay with it (Dante). I don't think you have to be an AA caliber guy to be pulled out of redshirt. Not everybody wants to be around for 5 years and that 5th year is a roll of the dice anyway as far as injuries and burnout. I think pulling Storr's shirt for the Iowa dual would have been bad. But it he does well at Midlands and he wants to go then I say go for it.

For example, right now I'd trade a true freshman year from Gabe for what it looks like he's able to do this year.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I don't like pulling redshirts based on desperation (Colbray) or just because a guy looks good in the room (Meeks). But if a guy has shown on the mat he's the best at a given weight and wants to wrestle I'm totally okay with it (Dante). I don't think you have to be an AA caliber guy to be pulled out of redshirt. Not everybody wants to be around for 5 years and that 5th year is a roll of the dice anyway as far as injuries and burnout. I think pulling Storr's shirt for the Iowa dual would have been bad. But it he does well at Midlands and he wants to go then I say go for it.

For example, right now I'd trade a true freshman year from Gabe for what it looks like he's able to do this year.

I agree with this. It also gives us flexibility should he be hurt down the road and need the redshirt. Medical redshirts are a flip of the coin. Also, it is surely pre-mature to call it a 'logjam' at the lower weights with the new recruits, but IF they all panned out, we'd have too many bodies for the weights. Using Storr's season here and banking a redshirt again offers us flexibility. All this assume he A) is better (now) than Meeds & Moreno; and B) he wants to burn his redshirt this year. If either of these are untrue, he should stay in redshirt.

Another issue I think should be discussed is our issues with cutting too much weight. Almost every time we've had a wrestler drop in weight it's ended badly. I understand Pestano is sacrificing for the team and cutting to fill a hole, but pulling that much weight always leads to erratic performances. I suspect Gabe's issue is more injury related, but why not bulk up and give yourself more strength to recover? There have been others in recent years who I can't think of right now that have been much better at the higher weight. I don't think we've heard of Hall having weight issues since moving to 133, but I always wonder if that is some of the reason for his 'uninspired' performances? This may be another area where KJ is either stuck in the old days, or more in tune with freestyle habits.

Reactions: matclone and Judoka

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
No...Clark has a shoulder separation and will not wrestle for awhile. If I am wrong about this, then I will be very happy. McRib (Downey) is injury prone or doesn't like going in pain...how many matches did he wrestle last year? How many so far this year? He has a total of 30 matches wrestled in three years. If he could have wrestled if the dual was on the line, then he was good enough to go against Brooks...especially with a 20 day break in between now and Midlands.

Papa McRib talks about McRib sticking this guy or that guy but he only has five pins over the last 30 matches, one TF (no backs), and two majors...all of this against largely subpar competition.

His best wins were against Haught (2X), Wellington and Rotert who was one unfinished duck from losing against Wilcke in our dual against them. Let's face it, 197 was not tough once you got past a few guys. He had no top 5 wins and was majored twice against Pfarr (who Brooks beat btw). Pfarr has had greater success after his move up out of 184.

The only reason he gets talked about is because he and his Daddy are Twitter "personalities." They talk a bunch of junk but after looking at his record against even subpar guys, he just doesn't score points. Beat Dean? Gabe Dean will eat both him and his Daddy's lunch.

Note: Jud...I know you didn't assert much of this but this was more of a catch all post. Only the first paragraph applied to your post. Cheers.

Apparently you know more the Brands: "Brands told them that Clark could have gone if this was a BiG Ten meet , but decided to give him some more time before Midlands."

Reactions: buf87

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012

It is not supposed to work this way.

And you could say the same over a bunch of upperclassmen over the last few years...

Last edited:
Reactions: CyGold

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Good performance by Colston. I actually work with one of Kemerer's sisters. I would suspect he's not an *******.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Jud - "125: I think we should have used Larson here but they also might have wanted to get Simmons the match to get that pressure. Didn't really learn much at this weight"

I agree with 90% of your take but I disagree with you here. We learned exactly how far Simmons needs to go to be a true contender. If we use Larson we are essentially giving up on winning this weight. Hopefully Marcus learned and will strive to compete and not gas out the next time they meet. Marcus has proven he's better than Larson IMO.

I don't disagree with you about Simmons proving himself to be better. But Larson is really good at taking on elite wrestlers and keeping it to a decision or a major at worst. Neither of them were going to win that match but Larson could have saved us a team point or two. Not that it ended up mattering.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
We do not have a lot of knowledge about Simmons. He just went 4-0 with Dance. I think Gilman is in a class by himself. But if Simmons is the guy, he needed to wrestle. JMO

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold

cywr89

May 14, 2009
We do not have a lot of knowledge about Simmons. He just went 4-0 with Dance. I think Gilman is in a class by himself. But if Simmons is the guy, he needed to wrestle. JMO
Terao and Rodriguez (lost in OT early in the year) are not too bad of indicators either. Simmons was not ready for Saturday mainly due to his weight. I'm thinking maybe that injury that happen in Vegas limited his prepration this past week which caused problem with his weight management. It was a perfect storm...in Iowa City, top kid in the country, recovering from injury and weight management issue. You don't put Larsen out there unless Simmons was too hurt to go. Larsen has been getting beat oftern and by a lot. Lost by TF to Simmons....what you think Gilman would have done? This is not the Larsen that wrestled last year. Pestano and Simmons did not drop weight for the team...they are dropping the weight because they want to be starters on the team. As KJ said, they have to figure out how to manage their weight or they will continue to have days like this. Some one mentioned Moreno going up. The problem is Moreno isn't strong or big enough to be effective at 149. He hasn't really lifted much in two years. I expect to see significant improvement by him at Midlands. If not, he probably will not get back into the lineup. Lastly, Colston made a fairly large drop in weight and he seems to be doing ok. The coaches can help you with weight management but the individual has to be willing to follow the plain. Kind of funny how everyone was complaining about how small everyone was in the lineup a few years ago and now we are cutting too much weight.

Last edited:

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
That's where you are wrong. I like watching him wrestle and I like his attitude.

I don't like ducking and that's what happened tonight for sure. Bottom line, if you weigh in and warm up and the don't wrestle that is a duck. Granted I don't know if it was the kid or the coach but one of them ducked. If he was too injured to wrestle than don't weigh in

You're a moron.

KJs sweat rag

Dec 11, 2016
If your kids biggest motivation is what's said on message boards, he's an even bigger moron than I thought... Which is saying a lot.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
We won 3 matches and 2 of them were against backups and in situations were we would have been underdogs if the starters had gone. It is mind blowing that people are encouraged by tonight. When we were up 6-5 after 3 matches my Hawk fan family was riding me so hard it was nearly unbearable--our HWT won over a 197 pounder without taking a legit shot, our 125 pounder basically stalled out and our two-time AA senior barely scraped by a backup, doing nothing for the last 2 periods. Then the entire Meeks fiasco happened. I wanted to disappear. Look at Carton and Meeks and tell me how a guy who didn't even belong on the mat with Meeks 5 years ago is now beating him. I know why--it comes down to COACHING.

Also, go away Husker. You're a douche. We are not good. We get it. Leave us alone.
Well said...NO DEVELOPMENT is all too common.

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
btw. When I say scrap this year I'm only referring to pulling anyone's redshirt. I'm still cheering for our guys competing this year. I'm going to StLou and wear my ISU gear while expecting individual titles (PD3) and awards.

Go Cyclones!

There you go. Merry Christmas.

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Considering your son's past, thats probably not a wise comment. Clean it up Dad!

I'll clean up nothing. YOU know NOTHING about my son's past. You are an ignorant know-it-all. I didn't raise a bully...and I also didn't raise a punching bag. I raised a bully killer. My son did nothing but defend himself (while in 11th grade) against D1 Naval Academy Varsity football players and another idiot from another college. They just happened to mess with the wrong wrestler. Now, you can go **** in your hat.

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Duck duck Goose? Weighed in and warmed up and no wrestle. Give me a break. So far he's ducked Dudley, Dean, Martin, Zavatsky and Brooks.

How the hell do you think you move up
In rankings of you duck everyone ahead of you?

I'm out.

You truly are an idiot. Duck Brooks, who he has already beaten...really!? Duck Dudley and Dean...who are ranked above you? Explain that logic to me, Einstein. Downey will break all of them IN HALF, except Dean...who he'll probably pin.