Iowa City Pedestrian hit by car

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Legally do you think he got special treatment with it being out of the news this long?

(Not a smart-ass question)
Yes, but that has more to do with the media.

I think the Iowa City PD/Johnson County Attorney's Office did their job in completing the investigation before initiating charges.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
No. I don't want to sound cold blooded but the more liability coverage you have, the more they will sue for. How do you put a value on a life? Fortunately, my family has not been involved in this type of situation and hopefully, never will be.
That's an awful stance to take, just galaxy brain.

You're responsible for all damages regardless of how much you're insured for. They can take all wages and assets present and future.

In nearly every case, parties settle for LESS when you're properly insured. If you have any assets at all or will have any future wages at all, you need to have auto liability limits of AT LEAST 250/500/250 with an umbrella policy that covers AT LEAST 10 years worth of your income.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I don't know, living with the fact you caused the death of someone for the rest of your life doesn't seem like nothing.
It's not, but if his BAC was .081, it becomes a matter that he gets imprisoned for. Why is it ok to take a life by accident sober when it's not ok to take a life by accident while legally impaired? We essentially go from a slap on the wrist to imprisonment over behavior that's not really that different. Obviously the idea here is that OWI is risky, so we amp up the punishment to prevent people from engaging in that behavior, but there are a lot of intolerably dangerous things you can do with a car while sober and we basically shrug our shoulders and say "well, I'm sure they feel bad".

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Question for parents of kids that drive. Did you extra extra liability insurance for your family to safegaurd from events like this?
We never did. We have a pretty good umbrella, but an accident can happen to anyone.

Reactions: ClubCy

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
It's not, but if his BAC was .081, it becomes a matter that he gets imprisoned for. Why is it ok to take a life by accident sober when it's not ok to take a life by accident while legally impaired? We essentially go from a slap on the wrist to imprisonment over behavior that's not really that different. Obviously the idea here is that OWI is risky, so we amp up the punishment to prevent people from engaging in that behavior, but there are a lot of intolerably dangerous things you can do with a car while sober and we basically shrug our shoulders and say "well, I'm sure they feel bad".
There is a such thing as awful accidents just happening though too and the law has to factor that in as well.

I'm not saying I know anything about the site of this accident but sometimes accidents happen because the sun blinds you temporarily or the landscaping bush impedes the ability to see what's behind it and approaching or a zillion other things that unfortunately are just really ****** luck.

The OWI thing is significantly different because as a society we have decided OWI is it's own significant penalty. I dont really think you can end up accidentally drunk and accidentally behind the wheel. You've undertaken a significantly higher level of negligence.

Now if the kid was speeding and texting there should be escalated charged and punishment.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
What if Jack doesn’t have any money? I assume they can go after Fran’s?

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
idk. If you're following the rules of the road and aren't being negligent and someone walks out in front of you and you kill them, how much criminal punishment are you really deserving of?
If you hit them in a crosswalk, it's all on you. You have to be prepared to yield. A young driver may not have been looking ahead enough to anticipate events.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
So it was a McCaffe.

I'm not sure I even posted once in the thread...but early on it seemed like people were overly critical of some people chiming in that turned out to be right. This is more relevant to the board than a lot of stuff that gets talked about and debated.

Is this the kid who is actually supposed to be good but has been firm that he won't play for Iowa?

If Otz or CMC had a kid who was driving in a fatal car accident you can bet your life that not only would the Iowa message boards be treating it as the biggest story of all time, all the DesMoines media would have covered it as the greatest criminal scandal of all time. Something like WHO TV might have waited until now to blow their load with joy, but KXNO would have had it as the main story of exciting celebration since the first day there was a hint of news on it.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
but there are a lot of intolerably dangerous things you can do with a car while sober and we basically shrug our shoulders and say "well, I'm sure they feel bad".
If you add in speeding or reckless driving, I'm sure the penalties would go up.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

A real big question is why texting drivers are treated that differently than OWI. Probably harder to prove but in cases where they can prove it, I don't really see a difference.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
A real big question is why texting drivers are treated that differently than OWI. Probably harder to prove but in cases where they can prove it, I don't really see a difference.
I think in iowa law texting is considered reckless activity. I'm not sure if reckless is less bad than impaired though.