Iowa beating (2) Ohio State

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Just like the Texas football team right? It couldn't be that maybe Iowa is actually improving as the year goes on and it was a home game.

This thread has noting to do with the ISU/Texas football game. Nada. Nunca. Nadie. Yet, here you are Scotty, bringing it up, trying to spin the focus away from the overall crappiness that is Iowa basketball.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
This thread has noting to do with the ISU/Texas football game. Nada. Nunca. Nadie. Yet, here you are Scotty, bringing it up, trying to spin the focus away from the overall crappiness that is Iowa basketball.

According to the OP, the focus of this thread isn't about the overall crappiness that is Iowa basketball, either. Yet here you are spinning it in that direction.....sorry, I kid. I just couldn't resist that one:tongue:

Reactions: CycloneErik

hawkknight90

Sep 13, 2008
The whole 'like the Texas football team' I believe is referring to when Iowa played Texas close in the Alamo Bowl. The response from a lot of non-Iowa fans was that the 'Horns didn't want to be there - a similar argument as another poster made about the OSU basketball team.

Texas was ok that year, and also ranked. Iowa was 6-6 and hung close.

Texas this year was quite below average, but still have to credit you guys for beating them on their own home turf, just like you beat Nebby last year in Lincoln. I don't care how good a team is - a road win is always huge - just like when Iowa went in and beat Indiana at their house.......

ClimbIowa

Aug 14, 2008
The whole 'like the Texas football team' I believe is referring to when Iowa played Texas close in the Alamo Bowl. The response from a lot of non-Iowa fans was that the 'Horns didn't want to be there - a similar argument as another poster made about the OSU basketball team.

Texas was ok that year, and also ranked. Iowa was 6-6 and hung close.

Texas this year was quite below average, but still have to credit you guys for beating them on their own home turf, just like you beat Nebby last year in Lincoln. I don't care how good a team is - a road win is always huge - just like when Iowa went in and beat Indiana at their house.......

In football? That was a meaningful win, sure, but absolutely not a huge win. It was barely even a small victory. It was pathetic.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
Before our hawk fan breds get too carried away trying to justify their existences.....OSU didn't play well except for a stretch where they dominated, and won the game. It's OK, I know that candor is not a strong suit for you all.

As far as the program, McCaffery has won everywhere that he has been. He is a good coach. The problem is, will he be able to bring in enough players to compete?

The answer to that question will determine whether or not he succeeds. It will take some time, that program is a black hole right now. Will the breds be patient? They have shown time and again that they won't be. Hopefully, for the sake of the coaches, they will give him a fair shot.

It's easy this year, it's still Lick's fault. Just like it was Alford's fault Lick's first two years, and Davis's fault before that... When they lose a bad game when it's McCaffery's team will the breds still be so supportive?

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
I honestly think Fran gets Iowa back to a respectful Big 10 team then jumps ship for a better job (one where people show up to watch his team play).

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I honestly think Fran gets Iowa back to a respectful Big 10 team then jumps ship for a better job (one where people show up to watch his team play).

Not saying that Fran will consider this a career job, but the fans will show up if he starts winning (they already show up in much better numbers than the past three years). We were selling out Carver not that long ago.

AllIowaTeams

Jun 10, 2010
Grimes
Not saying that Fran will consider this a career job, but the fans will show up if he starts winning (they already show up in much better numbers than the past three years). We were selling out Carver not that long ago.

Bingo. No school is going to sell out games if the team on the court has a losing record. That's just the way basketball goes. Football is entertaining enough regardless that schools can still sell out with a mediocre product. Basketball takes a little more work to get fans in the door. But Fran is already doing that much better than Lick did, and I genuinely enjoy watching their games now. I watched during the Lickliter era, but it was painful the majority of the time. If Fran can land a few more Besabe-type talents Iowa basketball will be relevant again. He was left with a pretty big pot of crap though so it takes a while to sift through.

AllIowaTeams

Jun 10, 2010
Grimes
Before our hawk fan breds get too carried away trying to justify their existences.....OSU didn't play well except for a stretch where they dominated, and won the game. It's OK, I know that candor is not a strong suit for you all.

As far as the program, McCaffery has won everywhere that he has been. He is a good coach. The problem is, will he be able to bring in enough players to compete?

The answer to that question will determine whether or not he succeeds. It will take some time, that program is a black hole right now. Will the breds be patient? They have shown time and again that they won't be. Hopefully, for the sake of the coaches, they will give him a fair shot.

It's easy this year, it's still Lick's fault. Just like it was Alford's fault Lick's first two years, and Davis's fault before that... When they lose a bad game when it's McCaffery's team will the breds still be so supportive?

Davis got ran out by the administration, don't blame the fans for that one. Well, you will, because that's what you do, ignore facts and just make gross generalizations, but that was all on the administration.

Alford had plenty of time (8 seasons) and couldn't get Iowa out of the 1st round more than once despite having a lot of talent on his rosters. On top of that he was extremely arrogant and it didn't sit well with Iowans, who are by nature not that way. You can say he got "ran off" all you want, but you would just look foolish.

Lickliter should have had at least one more year in my opinion, but the attrition the team saw under him was VERY concerning. On top of that his style of play simply didn't sell tickets.

I also find it interesting when people like yourself give Iowa crap for "running off" 3 coaches. McDermott left in the middle of the night for a MVC team. You really think he wasn't run off? Lickliter was no more run off than McDermott was. Wayne Morgan was let go way too soon. There was no reason to let him go. And Eustachy liked to drink with co-eds, but it wasn't a crime and he got crucified by ISU fans and the local media, and the administration didn't have much choice but to let him go. So before you give Iowa crap for running off coaches at least look in the mirror.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
Davis got ran out by the administration, don't blame the fans for that one. Well, you will, because that's what you do, ignore facts and just make gross generalizations, but that was all on the administration.

Alford had plenty of time (8 seasons) and couldn't get Iowa out of the 1st round more than once despite having a lot of talent on his rosters. On top of that he was extremely arrogant and it didn't sit well with Iowans, who are by nature not that way. You can say he got "ran off" all you want, but you would just look foolish.

Lickliter should have had at least one more year in my opinion, but the attrition the team saw under him was VERY concerning. On top of that his style of play simply didn't sell tickets.

I also find it interesting when people like yourself give Iowa crap for "running off" 3 coaches. McDermott left in the middle of the night for a MVC team. You really think he wasn't run off? Lickliter was no more run off than McDermott was. Wayne Morgan was let go way too soon. There was no reason to let him go. And Eustachy liked to drink with co-eds, but it wasn't a crime and he got crucified by ISU fans and the local media, and the administration didn't have much choice but to let him go. So before you give Iowa crap for running off coaches at least look in the mirror.

Wow, just wow....Another pearl of wisdom from only iowa.

Davis was run off by the big money people, amd attendance, as far as I can tell that is fan related. and not administration.

But its ok, keep revising history.

And this wasn't claiming that Iowa State doesn't have the same problem, although chewey was going to be coming back for at least two more years (so while he got out while the getting was good, your point is again wrong).

Iowa has a rep for running off coaches, and they aren't very damn nice about it...you are so sorry as a human being that you are incapable of any candor at all, aren't you bred? Sad sad sad

AllIowaTeams

Jun 10, 2010
Grimes
Wow, just wow....Another pearl of wisdom from only iowa.

Davis was run off by the big money people, amd attendance, as far as I can tell that is fan related. and not administration.

But its ok, keep revising history.

And this wasn't claiming that Iowa State doesn't have the same problem, although chewey was going to be coming back for at least two more years (so while he got out while the getting was good, your point is again wrong).

Iowa has a rep for running off coaches, and they aren't very damn nice about it...you are so sorry as a human being that you are incapable of any candor at all, aren't you bred? Sad sad sad

I'm going to go ahead and assume I know a little more about the Davis situation since I am an Iowa fan who actually follows the team closely, and judging by your posts I am at least several years older than you. Feel free to spout whatever you have read on these boards, as I'm sure it's unbiased, fact based information.

You are no doubt the type of "political mind" whose opinions are formed based on what he hears on TV and reads in the paper, instead of actually doing research to form his own opinions.

It is amusing to me how it's only fans like yourself who think Iowa has this reputation. Your McDermott point is moot since the same can be said for Alford. Alfrod got out while the getting was good, and I'd hardly say McDermott was safe for 2 more years given the unrest among the fan base, and the failure of McDermott to land Barnes. Morgan/Lickliter are very similar, the only noticeable differences being Morgan actually had a pretty decent record, and Morgan was also a skilled recruiter.

Keep up the good work mike.

Oh, and for the record, 2 of those 3 coaches who you say Iowa ran off had longer tenures than any of Iowa State's last 4 coaches. Just a thought.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Didnt we beat Iowa? Ya, lets move along. Iowa may have a chance to build back up the day Fran doesnt look constipated when he gets "mad"

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
I'm going to go ahead and assume I know a little more about the Davis situation since I am an Iowa fan who actually follows the team closely, and judging by your posts I am at least several years older than you. Feel free to spout whatever you have read on these boards, as I'm sure it's unbiased, fact based information.

You are no doubt the type of "political mind" whose opinions are formed based on what he hears on TV and reads in the paper, instead of actually doing research to form his own opinions.

It is amusing to me how it's only fans like yourself who think Iowa has this reputation. Your McDermott point is moot since the same can be said for Alford. Alfrod got out while the getting was good, and I'd hardly say McDermott was safe for 2 more years given the unrest among the fan base, and the failure of McDermott to land Barnes. Morgan/Lickliter are very similar, the only noticeable differences being Morgan actually had a pretty decent record, and Morgan was also a skilled recruiter.

Keep up the good work mike.

Oh, and for the record, 2 of those 3 coaches who you say Iowa ran off had longer tenures than any of Iowa State's last 4 coaches. Just a thought.

Wow, just another wow....another dazzling post from you bred.

The simple fact of the matter is that chewey was safe for two more years because of money. I get that you wouldn't know much about that since I am an Iowa State fan, and actually follow the team. I don't go to Iowa sites and try to tell them what to think either, so we are different that way.

Also, if you have read (doubtful takes brain cells), I have actually been critical of Iowa State, you on the other hand, have ZERO ability to even approach candor and criticize what is truly wrong with your team.

And as far as Davis goes, you are wrong again. It was the fans that pushed him out, but keep denying that fact. As for Alford, he was given an ultimatum by Barta that he would be fired if they didn't improve the next year. I don't seem to remember that from Pollard about chewey.

But keep baaaaing away bred, parrot the company hawk line. The truth and the facts are not your friend, so continue to ignore them.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Wow, just another wow....another dazzling post from you bred.

The simple fact of the matter is that chewey was safe for two more years because of money. I get that you wouldn't know much about that since I am an Iowa State fan, and actually follow the team. I don't go to Iowa sites and try to tell them what to think either, so we are different that way.

Also, if you have read (doubtful takes brain cells), I have actually been critical of Iowa State, you on the other hand, have ZERO ability to even approach candor and criticize what is truly wrong with your team.

And as far as Davis goes, you are wrong again. It was the fans that pushed him out, but keep denying that fact. As for Alford, he was given an ultimatum by Barta that he would be fired if they didn't improve the next year. I don't seem to remember that from Pollard about chewey.

But keep baaaaing away bred, parrot the company hawk line. The truth and the facts are not your friend, so continue to ignore them.

The only reason there was no ultimatum with McDermott was because it would be an empty threat thanks to the money. But almost everyone wanted him gone. And McDermott knew it. That's as good as running him off. Not saying you guys didn't need the change, because you did. Just as much as we needed a change from Alford. We made a bad hire after that one, and you guys appear to have made a good one. We appear to have made a good one in McCaffery.

I won't bother talking about Davis, because I was only 9 at the time, so I don't really know anything more than what I'm told about that.

Reactions: CycloneErik

LoewDog

Sep 7, 2010
Clone callers to local radio shows sure did want McD gone, and were willing to have the U eat the money. Clone friends of mine were in the same boat.

McD may have had two years left on that deal, but based on what the isu fan base was saying I think it is far fetched to think he would have seen the end of it.

Maybe he would have but that sure was not the vibe at the time.

As far as Davis...I think the Hawk fans had a lot to do with him being run off. I remember the tone being very similar to the end of McD's era. Unfortunately we made a bad hire afterward to magnify that. Had Alford been successful (on the court and off) and still here then the Davis run off would not have been as big of a deal.