Iowa Athletic Department found guilty of discrimination

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Former Associate Athletic Director Jane Meyer won her case in civil court versus the University of Iowa for sexual orientation and gender descrimination (plus retaliation & unequal pay) this past April or May. Rather than get pummeled in court again, Iowa University settled with former women's field hockey coach Tracey Griesbaum in May or June. Had to think it was better this way rather than get hammered in the court again and have all that bad publicity, in particular beings early reports were they planned to appeal.

Still wonder if they accomplished their mission to end this ASAP & bury it to avoid negative publicity. Although I think it demonstrates an unwillingness to stand up for this year's mantra, "Fight for Iowa". I guess they'll fight for Iowa unless they know they'll lose in court.

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
we-landed-on-the-moon-jim-carey-dumb-and-dumber.gif

P.S. -- It was buried the second the Register published the "Gary Barta is a survivor" column.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
To me, this was an impressive quote from Meyer:

I would hope he’s thinking ‘onward and upward’ without losing sight of what has happened,” Griesbaum said of her former boss. “I want to see what he’s really going to do. If he really pulls back all the layers and really looks at the behavior with a clear lens, I have no problem with him having an opportunity to make change.”

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Players now suing the university. wouldnt be happy if I was a donor, a good chunk of my donation goes to Attorney fees.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Is this old news or what. No not still ongoing. Settlement was done which means both sides drop it. And there was coincidentally a donor that gave something like $5 million not long after this verdict. What Barta did wrong was not documenting poor performance and behavior. She proved she had decent written reviews, but Barta did not prove anything beyond verbal. I believe Barta hoped she would find a job elsewhere and just leave. I think it stated she had applied for something like 25 other AD jobs across the US prior to all of this legal stuff and never got a one, so are those colleges and universities guilty too? All of the reporters and radio people who commented on that had interaction with her over the years stated that she was not a nice person and treated the media like dirt. Again Barta should have been documenting poor performance and behavior and counseling with her, but he didn't and as I stated I believed it was a deal where he hoped she would just find a job elsewhere and move on. And as far as the settlement it is a pittance compared to what is being raked in.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Players now suing the university. wouldnt be happy if I was a donor, a good chunk of my donation goes to Attorney fees.

Sure about that?

I think the AG for the State of Iowa represents the Athletic Dept in these cases.

I could be wrong though.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I am going to guess the AG isnt paid by the hour.

He would be collecting the same amount of pay whether this was an issue or not.
Take your head out of the sand. There are a lot of expenses to fight a criminal case. Also if staff is taking care of this one they aren't working on another one. Those other cases either don't get the attention they deserve or get farmed out at greater taxpayer expense. In addition there generally ends up being overtime for staff that does get paid hourly.

There is no such thing as a free case.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Take your head out of the sand. There are a lot of expenses to fight a criminal case. Also if staff is taking care of this one they aren't working on another one. Those other cases either don't get the attention they deserve or get farmed out at greater taxpayer expense. In addition there generally ends up being overtime for staff that does get paid hourly.

There is no such thing as a free case.

The athletic departments of Iowa and isu has been vocal over the years that they are independent since they receive no direct state funding. If the poster is correct, that the AG is running this, I want the state to sue the iowa AD for being discrimitive and demand the top of the staff is fired and fined.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.go...-meyer-v-university-of-iowa-the-aftermath?amp
Of course, all of this is taking place while federal investigators are looking into Title IX complaints initially made by field hockey players that have since spread to the UI athletics department at large. Can there be equality in facilities when the football program has its own $55 million practice facility that is so dominated by men that the head coach allegedly was upset over an artist's rendering that had women on the practice field? Can there be equality in opportunity when Iowa stashes away 62 female athletes on the rowing team to make its numbers? Do those obvious double standards cited by Griesbaum come into play? Does the Meyer decision?
4 players is a federal issue. Still going on

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
From same article (one saying Iowa would appeal):
But Title IX ain't nothing to mess with, and for a University already proposing a 3.8 percent tuition increase to meet reduced state funding, any risk to federal funds is cataclysmic. Having a jury tell the University that its athletic department engages in gender discrimination, then leaving the head of that department in place while the federal government determines whether that jury was right with the sword of Damocles hanging above, would be borderline stupid. This is to say nothing for the fact that, even before any additional damages are added to Meyer's award, Barta has now paid out settlements or judgment topping $2 million to settle scandals ranging from poorly-supervised player workouts to, ironically enough, reverse discrimination, and those don't include the tutor who was trading tickets for adult photos or the staffer who "lost" $66,000 in revenue from football parking.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
The athletic departments of Iowa and isu has been vocal over the years that they are independent since they receive no direct state funding. If the poster is correct, that the AG is running this, I want the state to sue the iowa AD for being discrimitive and demand the top of the staff is fired and fined.

Good luck with that.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Is this old news or what. No not still ongoing. Settlement was done which means both sides drop it. And there was coincidentally a donor that gave something like $5 million not long after this verdict. What Barta did wrong was not documenting poor performance and behavior. She proved she had decent written reviews, but Barta did not prove anything beyond verbal. I believe Barta hoped she would find a job elsewhere and just leave. I think it stated she had applied for something like 25 other AD jobs across the US prior to all of this legal stuff and never got a one, so are those colleges and universities guilty too? All of the reporters and radio people who commented on that had interaction with her over the years stated that she was not a nice person and treated the media like dirt. Again Barta should have been documenting poor performance and behavior and counseling with her, but he didn't and as I stated I believed it was a deal where he hoped she would just find a job elsewhere and move on. And as far as the settlement it is a pittance compared to what is being raked in.
No big deal. The $ was a drop in the bucket. Got it.