INSIDER: Spring football nuggets (4-14-19)

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
here is how I see the season playing out.
UNI-win
Iowa-Loss. yes, that Is 5 in a row. Iowa will have 2 games under their belt to our one, kind of big advantage early in the season. Plus, they will have a senior QB, who has made the plays to beat us the last two times
ULM-win
Baylor-loss.
TCU-win
WVU-win
Tech-win
Okie State-Win
OU-loss
Texas-Loss. Orlando always has our offense figured out.
Kansas-win
KSU-Win
8-4

I never like predicting the CyHawk game, but I’m putting it down as a win at home. Due for a win, and Campbell likely hasn’t forgotten 2017 when we had them beat at JTS but couldn’t seal the deal.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I don't think anyone is sleeping on him, but he won't be here until summer and there are 4 other RBs to compete with.

CMC has proven that he will play the best player regardless of age/experience. I understand that Jahril will have to be special to takes snaps from upperclassmen, but I think he is capable. I just think his character and athleticism will make it hard not to play him. Time will tell.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
CMC has proven that he will play the best player regardless of age/experience. I understand that Jahril will have to be special to takes snaps from upperclassmen, but I think he is capable. I just think his character and athleticism will make it hard not to play him. Time will tell.
He will be a very good player.

He’s also competing with other high character and athletic backs already here for spring ball.

It’ll be interesting to see who gets the bulk of the carries. I’m guessing most of the snaps are Kene, Breece & Sheldon, but literally nothing would surprise me.

That’s a nice problem to have.

UNIclonefan

May 1, 2018
The tight ends will be a strength for the team. If they can add a couple threats on the outside, they will be dangerous for sure. I don't think CMC will ever allow an Iowa-esque offense that relies primarily on the Tight Ends though

Last edited:

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
He will be a very good player.

He’s also competing with other high character and athletic backs already here for spring ball.

It’ll be interesting to see who gets the bulk of the carries. I’m guessing most of the snaps are Kene, Breece & Sheldon, but literally nothing would surprise me.

That’s a nice problem to have.
That or Kene, Johnnie, and Sheldon.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I think a lot of people are setting up for disappointment if they think Hall and Brock are going to be the featured backs. Kene, Croney, and Lang are not scrubs. They have been in the program for multiple years. I absolutely think Hall and Brock have bright futures, but to expect them to just come in and surpass those 3 is a bit much IMO. Campbell even said last year he would rather play a guy too late than too early.

I could see Hall and Brock alternate games up to the max of 4 and both or at least one of them will redshirt.

I'm sure glass will RS. Would make sense to have Hall or Brock RS to prolong the depth of the RB room.

• Agree
Reactions: TykeClone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I actually hope Kene steps up this year. His speed would bring a totally new dimension to our offense. We just need him to show he can be tough between the tackles so we can see him get more opportunities. Its too predictable to just put him in for a reverse or a counter.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
He could always play up to four games and still redshirt, which is what I see probably happening.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think a lot of people are setting up for disappointment if they think Hall and Brock are going to be the featured backs. Kene, Croney, and Lang are not scrubs. They have been in the program for multiple years. I absolutely think Hall and Brock have bright futures, but to expect them to just come in and surpass those 3 is a bit much IMO. Campbell even said last year he would rather play a guy too late than too early.

Sure, but in his first year, Campbell had a returning 1000 yard back in Warren and Montgomery slowly stole carries away from him, starting the last few games. I'm thinking Hall will take the same route. First game, Croney and Nwangwu will see most of the carries. By the end of the year, Hall will be starting.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm not a dude, unless you are saying I'm a male. Otherwise, "Wise Mentor" designation would be appropriate.

Was responding to your question and not calling you a dude, meant the Kansas state fan that goes by jerse or such. You may have him blocked, I sense several do.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I could see Hall and Brock alternate games up to the max of 4 and both or at least one of them will redshirt.

I'm sure glass will RS. Would make sense to have Hall or Brock RS to prolong the depth of the RB room.

Hall and Brock give you different things. I think it will come down to who Campbell thinks will be his best option to win games and go there. I believe Hall is already here, so he will have a better grasp of the offense, or at least should, and that will limit him less for available plays right away.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Sure, but in his first year, Campbell had a returning 1000 yard back in Warren and Montgomery slowly stole carries away from him, starting the last few games. I'm thinking Hall will take the same route. First game, Croney and Nwangwu will see most of the carries. By the end of the year, Hall will be starting.

I think you have it about right, based on what CMC has done in the past. Remember, Croney looked pretty darn good in the game he was featured (Baylor?). And I still think the staff likes Kene as a change of pace type guy, so closer to 10 carries than 20.

And don't forget, this staff historically likes to talk up the young guys early, but then we don't see them a whole lot (with a few exceptions like Mike Rose). Now, maybe this changes with Manning back, and the 4-games still redshirt rule.

That rule is really neat, as guys like Brock and Hall can play in 4 games, get some meaningful carries and game experience, and STILL redshirt. Think that really helps the non-blue blood teams a lot.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Lots of people sleeping on Jahril Brock. I could see him being a big surprise this fall. I think he has a chance to be special.

After watching their videos, I was always a bigger fan of Hall than Brock. Hall seems bigger and faster than Brock. However, after watching them in their respective all-star games, I became more of a Brock fan. He seems to find a hole where other backs can't, a skill which will come in handy with our O-line.

Hall looked good in his game too, but as a receiver out of the backfield. He made some catches in that game that would put some WRs to shame. I wouldn't be surprised if Hall is used a lot in passing situations.

Last edited:

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Was responding to your question and not calling you a dude, meant the Kansas state fan that goes by jerse or such. You may have him blocked, I sense several do.
Gotta, was not upset at all. Just like to banter with all ...LOL. But, I do still suggest that I am a Wise Mentor.

Reactions: aauummm and BCClone

ZZZ

Feb 10, 2013
Ames, IA
Didn't think this deserved it's own thread, but has anybody heard how the scrimmage went Saturday, any injury updates, etc.?

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron