In Our Lifetime?

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
In your lifetime do you think Iowa State will ever win a national Championship in football or basketball?

My buddies usually discuss this question after we suffer a heartbreaking defeat in either sport. Most of us are 21 or 22 and we don't know if it will ever happen, what a depressing thought...

That being said I think it is more realistic to think we can win one in Basketball other than football, but the way football works and the conference we are in, I firmly believe that with the right team we may able to catch lighting in a season and who knows?

(Note this is not a bashing thread, but simply a thread to help my boredom and for discussion)

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Football is probably not realistic. I'm 30. If Pollard keeps giving GMAC extensions he will be the coach here for 30 more years. Now i'm sixty. 3-4 years cleaning up his mess. I'm 64-65. Probably die somewhere in there. No i don't think so.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
It's possible if we're talking basketball.

If we're talking football, even if we we're talking several generations, I don't see it happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyfanatic

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
I don't know.....Kansas was close a few years ago in football. If they can do it, then we can. All it takes is an easy schedule, a great group of seniors, and some luck.

KU had all of that, and then just choked against Mizzou. They then went on and beat up on VT in the Orange Bowl, proving that they were legit.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm 22, and I'm going to say probably not. I'm going to go even further and say that I would not be suprised if we aren't ever close by the time I die (i.e. a Final Four, top 4 BCS finish).

C

Cyclone42

Pollard and McDermott have dug a really deep hole for ISU in basketball. I don't think people realize how deep this hole is. We have the image of a losing program now, and that impacts recruiting. Competing coaches can just say "Why would you want to go there? That's a losing program." For this reason, I actually think we may taste success (perhaps not a national championship, but say top-25 rankings) sooner in football than basketball.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I don't know.....Kansas was close a few years ago in football. If they can do it, then we can. All it takes is an easy schedule, a great group of seniors, and some luck.

KU had all of that, and then just choked against Mizzou. They then went on and beat up on VT in the Orange Bowl, proving that they were legit.

I will throw Texas Tech in there as well. How about West Virginia? I am not saying it will happen but with the right run of luck it could happen.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Realistically I can't see us winning the Big 12 Conference Championship in football for a while at least. The north, yes, but we need to do that before even thinking about a national title.
Basketball, we need to win a few more road games before thinking about that too. I would say that's a better shot.

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
Sorry OP made it to the 4th post before someone could not follow instructions...

Highly unlikely considering in 100+ years of History ISU has not been able to so far...

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
As crazy as this may sound, I think there's a greater chance of the programs being cut/moving to a lower level/a major shakeup in college athletics happening than ISU ever winning a national title. The landscape of college athletics keeps changing, and it's crazy to think about what sports will be like in as few as 10 years, much less 20 or 30.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Pollard and McDermott have dug a really deep hole for ISU in basketball. I don't think people realize how deep this hole is. We have the image of a losing program now, and that impacts recruiting. Competing coaches can just say "Why would you want to go there? That's a losing program." For this reason, I actually think we may taste success (perhaps not a national championship, but say top-25 rankings) sooner in football than basketball.
Could not agree more, could take 10 years to recover from the current state of the program.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Well, we damn near did it in basketball back in 2000. However, we were in much better shape.
We haven't been anywhere close in football.. Ever.
I'd say our most legitimate shot would be in basketball. But, with the way things are going now, it may be football.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
In basketball, it could happen. Pretty close 10 years ago. But as for any non blue-chip program, probably unlikely. Heck, Ku went 20 years without one.
Oh, and college sports are a lot different now than 100 or 50 years ago.

Last edited:

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
Ironically the sport I'm most optimistic about (FB) is the one I think we have the least chance to win one in. Basketball can turn around so fast, plus with the tourney you can get hot and run the table (in mens or womens). The good thing about FB is that with the natural fit of our schedule in most years if we win out we get to the National Championship game.