In Memoriam: Ames Business/Restaurants

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Rhetorical question? Yes. Aunt Maude's is alive and welll. And the Tipper? It will outlast all of us, just as it has for decades. It could survive a nuclear Holocaust.

My niece never went to the TipTop while she was in school. We went to a FB game a couple of yrs ago together, I took her there and I don't think it had changed since I was in school LOL. Wall to wall Cyclones all drinking beer and eating chili. Everyone should go there once.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I’m sure I’ll get killed but I’ve always thought Aunt Maudes was overrated. Not a bad restaurant. Just not the one people make it up to be.

It has zero competition, though. It’s a fine restaurant, but the Cafe has a very different vibe, and if you don’t want to go to DSM, I’m not aware of another option for a “nice” dinner.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
It has zero competition, though. It’s a fine restaurant, but the Cafe has a very different vibe, and if you don’t want to go to DSM, I’m not aware of another option for a “nice” dinner.

Maude's and The Cafe are both great for a small town in Iowa.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Maude's and The Cafe are both great for a small town in Iowa.

My only quibble is that Ames isn’t that small anymore, but I’m definitely glad to have both. I wish there were more “nice” options, but the pandemic definitely set us back.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I’m sure I’ll get killed but I’ve always thought Aunt Maudes was overrated. Not a bad restaurant. Just not the one people make it up to be.
Add me to the hit list then. Have ate there a couple times first time I was hungover as all get out trying to impress a girl for lunch so figured give it a shot again. Went there with the wife and we both said yeah it's not a bad spot but nothing to rave over.